All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia in the USA - feelings at fever pitch

Self-confessed Symbian geek Stefan from the RingNokia blog has been observing rants about Nokia's S60 progress in the USA (or lack of it) and here weighs in with a good summary and plenty of ideas of his own.

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
I just don't get this media obsession with the American market while completely ignoring major emerging markets.

The bottom line is this:

-If a global phone maker fails to make headway in America, they're less rich than they could be.

-If a global phone maker fails to make headway in India and China, they're dead.

It's the Indian and Chinese markets we ought to be watching really closely, but I've never once seen a major phone tech site even give them a headline.

Part of the problem is that the English-language media makes most of its money from advertising to American visitors, so it tends to bias its coverage towards them. That doesn't change the reality of the situation though, and pretending that America matters most isn't going to make it matter most.

Old 14-02-2007, 12:56 PM

ares is on a distinguished road
Steve, krisse, this is a little OT, but knowing that Motorola has now a RAZR like phone with Symbian on it (UIQ i know) almost ready, canīt it be hugely significant for the growing of Symbian in the US?

Old 14-02-2007, 01:53 PM

ratza is on a distinguished road
I really doubt that if Motorola comes out with another Symbain the americans will hurry up and buy it. American peolple likes things made by themselves. Motorola A1000 has also Symbian (UIQ) but everybody seem to forget that model. Why? Well... it should've had Windows on it, probably. For americans it seems that the look is everything, no matter what's inside the case. "We're doing everything as it should, you don't" seems to be the USA's favourite saying.

Old 14-02-2007, 02:10 PM

ares is on a distinguished road
You are forgeting some things:

the z8 looks like a RAZR, huge sucess over there, the AXXX series has nothing to do with that

the z8 does not have a touchscreen like the AXXX series, so its easier to operate for mainstreem

the z8 is made by the ex-sendo x team

If they launch it in the US, in April, i donīt doubt it will be a huge sucess

Old 14-02-2007, 04:46 PM

dgduris is on a distinguished road
Well, from those of us over here in the US who do use and enjoy Symbian-powered products, it is a shame that we can't get the newest ones.

BUT, AS much as I want a P990 or E90 over here, the damage NOK and SE would do to themselves by providing high-end phones that can't use the newest network features would be insurmountable.

I think the issue may be with the chipset lawsuit with QualCom. I think they make the chipset needed to support the 3G bands in the USA and there is a big law suit versus Nokia and others, I believe that has kept that chipset out of Finnish and Swedish hands. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

I believe that until that issue is settled, we'll see no multi-band 3G phones from the Symbian manufacturers.

I don't think the operators have anything to do with this, but wouldn't be surprised if those guys in Redmond weren't involved.

Old 14-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"I really doubt that if Motorola comes out with another Symbain the americans will hurry up and buy it. American peolple likes things made by themselves."

If there's a Motorola running Symbian, almost all their customers would describe it as a Motorola phone rather than a Symbian phone, and I'm guessing 99% of their customers wouldn't even know what Symbian was.

I don't think even 1% of smartphone customers actually realise there IS an operating system on their phone any more than they realise there's an operating system in their car. Almost everyone buys smartphones based on the brand of the manufacturer, not the brand of its OS.

Old 14-02-2007, 06:49 PM

marcb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgduris View Post
Well, from those of us over here in the US who do use and enjoy Symbian-powered products, it is a shame that we can't get the newest ones.
Agreed. The last S60 model T-Mobile USA sold was the Nokia 6600. I used it until I finally ordered an imported N73 a few months ago. Cingular did offer a version of the 6680 (the 6682 I think), but that was Cingular only. Now Cingular has the E62, but I prefer the smaller models with a T9 keypad and Cingular is not my carrier anyway.

So sites like allaboutsymbian.com are actually a bit cruel for visitors from the US... "look at what shiny new toys Nokia is making" -- but good luck finding them in your neighborhood.

Does anyone have any insight into why the new S60 models do not make it to the USA? Is this something that is likely to change?

(It might not be just the carriers as the N73 is not even available at nokiausa.com yet. It has been "coming soon" for months though.)