All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 10-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

No calls please

I would much rather get push emails or SMS texts than be inundated by phone calls !
Ads

Old 13-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

well, it is now 2010, many people around me use push mail. only a handful of them however, really need that particular function, being trader and investor in stock markets. The others? not really..
but that does not stop them from replying email wherever they are, sometimes even while strolling at the mall... (did I mention that even teenagers uses push mail?)

I bought a smartphone because I needed to read my emails on the go. At first I activated my push mail,.. but later I switched it off, and am now quite happy with pull mail every 15 minutes or so .. because:
1. I don't immediately read the emails right after being notified by the phone. Later on when I am sitting down, not doing anything that needs to be done right away, I'll read and maybe reply to those mails. People will call me if it is that urgent. I read somewhere, that the best form of communication is face to face, where both parties can read audio visual information being exchanged. Even video calls, IMHO, can not deliver body language information accurately. The next best thing is speaking on the phone, where one can still listen to intonations. And if there is a suspicion of misunderstanding, or clarity of the subject, counter questions can always be asked, quickly.
2. When I am on the go, I do a lot of things with my phone, making calls, texting, email, browse the web, downloading documents, and it also functions as a modem for my netbook. I demand that the phone's battery can satisfy those needs. push mail, being always connected to the network drains the battery faster... I just don't want to go back to the days of nickel cadmium batteries when I used to bring at least one extra batteries just in case the one in the phone died..