All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 06-12-2006, 07:48 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Any e-mail consultant will tell you that the key to managing e-mail is exactly that - managing it, not letting it manage you!
Maybe it's only me, but I find the idea of an"e-mail consultant" slightly scary...

Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"If I send an email it usually arrives within a couple of minutes anywhere in the world."

In theory, but in practice email frequently doesn't arrive at all. The huge rise in spam has meant a huge rise in overactive spam filters, and lots of email never makes it to the recipient's inbox, even when the mail is from a non-spamming source with its own domain name.

Time after time I've failed to get an important email only to find it somewhere in the spam box, and people I know have failed to receive my emails because they've also been treated as spam.

I would NOT rely on normal email alone for transmitting important information, and would always contact the recipient by phone to make sure the message has arrived.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM

eortiz is on a distinguished road
power

Polling is the old trick for faking "push", and it works well, and latency is not the real issue, but the issue is that it is not battery/power friendly...

ceo

Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Err.... how exactly does it take more power to make a small GPRS connection every 30 mins than making lots more network transactions plus similar amounts of GPRS traffic (the emails are going to be the same either way) when using push?

Steve

Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 PM

BigRedBall is on a distinguished road
Steve,
You forget about IMAP IDLE - it's built-in to the E-Series and N-Series Messaging client and offers true push at no extra subscription cost (providing that your IMAP server supports IDLE).

Old 07-12-2006, 04:21 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Hype, hype and some more hype. It sometimes sells products that don't even deserve to be sold in the first place, much like an antivirus application for an s60v3 phone. Push email is just being sold because its customers don't even know if they actually need it or not.
True, some corporates might feel their executives need to stay connected as and when its required but thats where laptops and vpn access comes into picture.
I feel the PR team at blackberry deserves a round of applause for creating a demand for a product, people can actually live without but feel they need it.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 PM

Chrissybear is on a distinguished road
(Quote)
Maybe it's only me, but I find the idea of an"e-mail consultant" slightly scary... (unquote)

Sadly, I have attended a seminar on more efficient use of e-mail with an e-mail consultant - it was actually very good, but the main thrust of it was that you have to learn to manage your e-mail and not be slaved to it.

One of the main tenets is that you choose a time to deal with e-mail and not respond straightaway as other forms of communciation are more suitable for this. This involves turning off audible and visible reminders that e-mail has arrived.

The whole ethos of push e-mail is the reverse of that and will just lead to more stressed people. So "Push off, push e-mail!"

Old 07-12-2006, 01:44 PM

akboom is on a distinguished road
Is Push email on Symbian truly PUSH? How is it logically possible for servers to initiate a connection to the client? The only way I can think of how PUSH would work is either polling, remote invoking or a keep alive connection.

Anyone care to elaborate.

Boom

Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 PM

Pieterjh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Agreed!

After y2K compliance, push email must rank as the biggest marketing swindle ever pulled on the internet. We run a small internet service provider and the only people that ever ask about push email are the not quite tech-literate wannabe businessmen who buy into the high tech persona that they think they should be emulating - and maybe corporate IT types that need to spend their budgets on something. As the man says - pull email once an hour/ half hour/ fifteen minutes is plenty. Anyway email is dying. spam and viruses are killing it. We have seen a trebling of bandwidth consumption this year alone - the mail Servers are creaking under the strain. We are hearing of companies declaring 'email bankruptcy, and other companies banning email altogether. Im not saying email is going to disappear - it will always have a niche, but something better will have to be figured out.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 AM

Jago is on a distinguished road
sorry guys - you work in different environements

Itai is right - it depends on where you work or rather the industry and culture you are in. It's not just in America - a lot of global corporate organisations expect that instant availability and connectivity.

My personal experience has shown it can be very useful to receive updated documents or presentations (things that can't be done with a phone call) moments before going into a meeting etc.

Quite agree that on a personal level it's not needed though and polling is plenty frequent enough. But that's just maybe because the environement/ messages we recieve aren't as pressured or time dependant?

Bassey - I'm currently on WM5 - can you tell me what synch service you use?
Thanks
Jago

Old 08-12-2006, 11:33 AM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
I know that the Exchange solution to push email IS push email. A constant SSL connection is maintained between the device and the Exchange server (wifi, GPRS or 3G as the transport). The Exchange server polls the device every 15mins or so to ensure the connection is maintained. Because there is a direct, live connection, when an email, contact, calendar or whatever comes in it can be pushed straight to a service on the device.

To the best of my knowledge Blackberry and the various other solutions are not true push as there is no permanant connection made to the device, though I don't know the technical ins and outs. However, I do know that they are so fast that it really doesn't matter either way.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 AM

Isode is on a distinguished road
Its not when you get it but what you can do with it.

Far more important that 'when' you get the email (honestly, how many supposedly urgent emails have any of us received that couldn't wait that extra 30 seconds?) is what you can do with it when it arrives.

The mobile phone challenges for email revolve around compensating for its small form factor, comparitively limited storage and comparitively restricted bandwidth not in making sure that you know of an email within 5 seconds of it arriving at your mailserver.

Which is one reason why the work of the IETF 's LEMONADE group, which recently defined extensions for IMAP and SMTP for mobile devices, is so important. They concentrate on sensible email functions like quick reconnect, forward without download and bandwidth efficiences.

www.lemonadeformobiles.com

Declaration of interest: my company is on the working group and our mailservers servers are LEMONADE compliant.
Ads

Old 26-03-2007, 07:00 AM
unregistered

Thumbs down

Your full of crap and you don't really know what your talking about. Since when has it been 30 mins out of date? Perhaps when you set it up, but when any normal person sets it up it generally arrives at the phone before the mailbox.

And just because you don't like it, it doesn't make it a bad idea!

Stephan

Old 13-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Unregistered

Hi There,

i just read your comment about how you've set up your N73 to pull mails after every 30 mins, could you also let me know how can i get this done on my latest N91 8GB edition.

Kind Regards,

Sumit

Old 19-05-2007, 12:01 AM
CChoi83

Quote: "OK, I'm biased because my company doesn't use Push mail, but I'd hate to become the slave of my boss, or anyway to have one more chain between him and myself!"

What if you are the boss? =)