4Site is on a distinguished road
The Official Video Conversion Guide For N80/N73

Video Conversion Guide For N80/N73

Part 1: Information
Part 2: Conversion Guide
Part 3: Disk Space Usage
Part 4: Hints and Tips

PART 1: INFORMATION

A lot of people are being misinformed and mislead into using inferior quality codecs when converting videos for using on their NSeries phones.

There are two big issues. Firstly people are being advised to use a third party applications/programs like SmartMovie or DivX Player to use with their AVI format videos...

*FAMILY FORTUNES INCORRECT SOUND EFFECT*
WRONG!!!

Even lower end laptops struggle to smoothly play full screen AVI format videos so expecting this from a phone that has a hundred other features fighting for resources is a completely wrong way of thinking. Yea sure all them original state AVIs on your computer will play using these apps but unless you like stuttering audio and unwatchable frame rates of something like 2 frames per second, these files need to be converted into a more mobile friendly state and here in lies the issue. If CONVERSION IS MANDATORY why not use the standard built in video player and put less pressure on the ever unstable resources of your NSeries phone… QUALITY!! I HEAR YOU SCREAM.

*FAMILY FORTUNES INCORRECT SOUND EFFECT*
…AGAIN

This is where people make the 2nd mistake. People confuse formats and conversion codecs. The NSeries out of the box player for videos is the Real Player which supports Real Media formats (confusing and difficult conversion), 3GPP (crap quality), MP4 STANDARD (file size and quality issues) and MP4 AVC. People who I have seen in video conversion topics on this board have not always been been able to distinguish between the various formats. The Mp4 AVC is a high quality / low bandwith / low file size format that’s been made the Official Standard for Digital Video which means from now on it will be used in almost everything to do with digital media (unless a megalomaniac behemoth is involved *cough* Microsoft *cough*). The advantages of this format are obvious, amazing quality video, low file size. I’ve noticed people using the lower quality 3GPP and MP4 Standard codecs to convert files which is like your NSeries phone being a DVD player but you choosing to play VCDs on it only.

Unless your struggling for disk space there is only one logical choice. Converting your videos into a format that’s high quality, playable as standard on your NSeries phone.

Part 2: CONVERSION GUIDE

To convert your video files into the best format playable out of the box on your NSeries phone you need three things.

- eRight Super
(Advanced Video Converter, Freeware, LINK: http://updat1.free.fr/AD93AFC6A3D0FD...SUPERsetup.exe)

- The Super NSeries AVC Profile
(Created By Yours Truly, Attached To This Post, LINK AT BOTTOM OF POST)

- Video You Wish To Convert
(obviously lol)

1) Once you’ve installed Super and extracted the profile to somewhere on your hard drive start up Super.

2) Import the Profile (which tells Super what settings to use) by right clicking anywhere on Super’s Main Window and select "Import (Load) An External Super © Profile" and directing Super to where you extracted the Profile and selecting it.

3) Select the video file to be converted, right click anywhere on Super’s Main Window and select "Add Multimedia File(s)” then direct Super to the video file you wish to use and select it.

4) Click on the “Encode” button and wait until Super finishes the task (PLEASE NOTE: The Progress bar which shows up is for display purposes only it does not function so it will keep restarting)

5) Transfer the file from the “Output Folder Destination” (usually “c:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\OutPut”) to your phone using your usual method.

6) HEY PRESTO. You should now be able to play the video file in Gallery under Images & Videos.

Part 3: Disk Space Usage

An hour episode of something like Lost or Prison Break is about 140mb with the original settings from the profile. With a fast 2GB memory card goin for around £30-40 its worth getting one if you aint got one cause the quality is really comparable with lower end portable DVD players.

You can reduce the sound quality to mono by selecting "Channels" as "1" instead of "2" this usually reduces the file size by about 15% without much reduction on quality.

You can also set the "Bitrate kbps" to "228" instead of "336" this reduces the file size between 10-20% without any apparent quality loss.

Part 4: TINTS & TIPS

I've come across a bug in Super thats unrelated to the settings above. Sometimes the program randomly produces a corrupt file that will not be deteced on your phone in the Gallery. When this happens it lets u kno there was an error in red text under the audio section just delete the the file produced and start encoding again. Its a software bug which will get fixed next release seems this happens if a screen saver starts up or the computer goes into stand by mode so disabling these before conversion for larger files such as movies is recommended.
When playing videos back on your phone try not to have a lot of apps running at the same time as this reduces performance.

If you spot any mistakes, have any problems or wanna make a comment feel free to post them here.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Super_NSeries_AVC_Profile.zip (728 Bytes, 8526 views)

Old 23-11-2006, 01:25 AM

monmon_4 is on a distinguished road
Yea that's a pretty good guide. Maybe someone will sticky it. I like how it's very comprehensive. I actually haven't tried converting anything in terms of video to play on my n73 so Ill give this method a shot instead of doing it the normal way I usually do. Btw, does anyone know if the iPod Video plays mp4 AVC? I'm lazy to search.

Last edited by monmon_4; 23-11-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Old 24-11-2006, 12:50 AM

Yea i know it plays mp4 standard but not too sure bout the AVC.

Trust me the above settings make your N73 a better video player than the ipod video i got both and the quality and clarity of the screen on the n73 definitely makes it watchable. Try it you will be suprised.

Old 24-11-2006, 05:31 AM

monmon_4 is on a distinguished road
I tried it but I'm getting errors when it tries to encode, all the times. It says to use DirectShow, but that's not working either. Weird huh

Old 25-11-2006, 03:13 AM

your software isn't configured right or theres a conflict wid the program try to search the Super forum there's a few fixes on there for u to try

http://www.erightsoft.com/Supforum.html

Old 26-11-2006, 09:35 PM

natanlevine is on a distinguished road
Great guide! I've just successfully put a movie on my n73 to your instructions and it works great. I have to admit though playing encoded avi's on my avi player work just as well and the program is slightly more comfortable than realplayer. Its only a pity all movies are made in a way that they are very narrow so never fill up the screen. I don't suppose there's some way of fixing that is there?

Old 27-11-2006, 03:05 AM

Play around with the "Stretch It" option under the Video "Options" section.

Lemme know how you get on

Old 04-12-2006, 11:21 AM

kevinpatel is on a distinguished road
hey, i've tried out the software... it works very well... and i've got to say the prints are amazing guys... it's cool...

Old 22-12-2006, 12:11 PM

natanlevine is on a distinguished road
avi settings

Ok I've been using your settings and its been great. The only problem is that with mp4's they go into the gallery and make everything go really slow. With an avi player obviously I don't have this problem.
Could you please tell me how to use super to do the same thing only on avi format? Thanx!

Old 22-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Jj03 is on a distinguished road
I use a program called M3. Its simply the best. It is primarily for SE handsets, but you can create your own profile to match your phones capability's, as i did with my n73. I copied the k800i's, but changed the framerate, and changed the resolution to 352x288..stereo sound at 128kbps..full screen..

It gives the best quality films/tv etc, ive ever seen...used those settings with snakes on a plane, and it looks awesome.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM

MartinC#1 is on a distinguished road
N73 Good Quality

This is the Profile I am using.

It produces about 60MB files for a 45 minute TV show with good quality.
Attached Files
File Type: zip N73[size+quality].zip (669 Bytes, 2897 views)

Last edited by MartinC#1; 01-01-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC#1
This is the Profile I am using.

It produces about 60MB files for a 45 minute TV show with good quality.

The codec your using is the H.263 in the 3GP container format.
Trust me if you use the profile I've provided the quality of the video you've converted will be on a whole another level.

Super has a few bugs in it and the developers seem to be dragging their feet regarding updates.

If checking different programs at the moment to see if any do the job well once something suits our needs i'll update the guide.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 AM

Hey 4site,

I have no doubt your profile will produce better quality video.

The profile I posted produces much more compact files & the quality when played back with the N73 hardware (in reference to its display, sound) is good.

So what I'm trying to do is get the file size as low as possible while maintaining acceptable quality. I'm not trying to produce files with the highest possible quality just a good compromise between quality/size.
Ads

Old 02-01-2007, 08:24 AM

I have some files that would playback fine on my N73 expect they need to be reduced from 25fps to 15fps.

Is there any software that can do this?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 PM

Hey Martin
Agree with your views about the whole issue of quality versus file size totally but a 1gb memory card is pretty much the standard nowadays and with the price of 2GB SD cards shooting down all the time there's no point having a phone with the capability to act on par with most personal media player (AS WELL as everything else it can manage to a exceedingly high standard) and not taking full advantage of it.

ROLL ON 4GB cards i say.