All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-03-2004, 10:49 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
orange downgrade

i was sent a private message asking about this, but i wrote it too long, you're limited to 1000 apparently, and mine was 2350 or something like that, so i thought to create a thread about it here, as i'm sure it's helpful to a few people.

g'day skip, if you're buying from the link, firstly, make sure you say that it is free at 70 a month on orange, because the price has gone back up in the link stores, just not on the internet, but they will match it anyway, but the sales person will try and say no,

secondly, you need to get it on orange for the downgrade to work, orange allows you to downgrade monthly, the way the phones are priced is the more cheaper the tariff, the more the phone is, and vice versa, to the point where your phone is free at a certain tariff and above, in the p900's case, it is your plan 700, anything above that , even business your plan 2000, the handset will be free, that shows clearer i hope, how the handsets are priced, orange do not charge you if you downgrade after the first month, shops might do, though i do not know how they impose the fee, carphonewarehouse said in their terms and conditions a month after the p900 launch, that if you downgrade before 3 months, they will charge you, but i do now know of anyone who has been charged, but that is the CPW, the link never charge back for people who drop under any months, CPW say they do, but i don't know of anyone who's done it, so CPW lets say warn you they do, whereas the link don't even warn you,

thirdly, tmobile requires six months ebfore you drop down the tariff, so get it on orange your plan 700, then drop down after one month, either to OVP o2 100, or to your plan 120 on orange for 25 quid, but if you stay on orange your plan tariff, youwill get whatever promotions orange are offereing, one time, they offered free unlimited texthing for six months, if you got that on the first month, then went to OVP tariff the next month, you'd lose that offer, but if you stayed on your plan tariffs, you'd still have it, but that offer was just an example and isn't on anymore,

thirdly, don't go for insurance from the link at all, go for orange care, no matter how much they try and sell it you, don't get it, they send it off for repair if it's faulty for the 7.99 a month one, return time is AT LEAST 10 days, but usually 2 - 3 weeks, if not more, whereas orange care courier next day, all days inc sunday, and is only five pounds a month,

fourthly, stay with p900, don't go with sx1

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 16-03-2004, 11:33 PM

spangelaregreat is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that nk8.

That certainly explains away most of my concerns.

Just a couple of things.

1. When you say the Link don't charge you, is that in the contract or is it just something they do? Is there any chance (however slight) they might charge at a later date?

2. You said I could downgrade my contract to OVP o2 100. I didn't realise I could also change provider at the time of the downgrade.

I will contact o2 tomorrow to see what the deal would be if I cancel my contract early.

Certainly I will score if i decide to go through with it.

Pay 70 for the first month, then downgrade to my current monthly rate of 25 per month.

Selling my T610 would more than cover the extra cost of my first month.

Regards

Old 16-03-2004, 11:41 PM

the link are just known to not charge, they are dumb

orange value promise (ovp) is a match for any other networks tariff exlcuding hutchison, you pay the same line rental as the networks tairff you're matching is, get the same package, just on oranges network

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 16-03-2004, 11:44 PM

Thanks again.

I guess even if they say they are going to bill me if I cancel before 3 months, staying on at 70 per month is 210. Still less than buying it sim free and you get the free minutes into the bargin.

Cool.

Regards

Old 17-03-2004, 12:36 PM

yeah, but orange won't say that

Old 17-03-2004, 04:40 PM

Dagger_meerkat is on a distinguished road
Just got a p900

I recently obtained a p900 on the 70 tariff, got it for free from the Link website a couple of days ago. Just had it activated, and was thinking of calling up orange just before 14 days were over in case they cause problems about the downgrade.

Only rcd a payment receipt thru the mail this morning from the Link, apparently I am suppossed 2 get my contract straight from Orange.

Any suggestions on what would be the most appropriate date to call up orange about the downgrade? I know any changes have to be made 10 days before the billing date, but I hope orange wont recall the phone back if I call up on the 13th day of the contract?

Old 17-03-2004, 07:10 PM

just call them today, tell them to leave a note on your account to downgrade for the next bill date

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 17-03-2004, 09:02 PM

ceanth is on a distinguished road
hi all just wanted to ask if downgrading to the lowest orange tariff would be taking the micheal? Would the link be more aware of someone going from 70/m to 15/m or wouldnt it matter? Also is there anyone here who has actually changed tariff after a month? Just wondering if orange would actually say "well you have only been on this tariff for one month"
Ads

Old 17-03-2004, 09:58 PM

Hopefully Dagger can tell us when he does it.

Who actually is provding the phone? The Link or Orange. Orange certainly do not have this deal on their own site.

Old 18-03-2004, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ceanth
hi all just wanted to ask if downgrading to the lowest orange tariff would be taking the micheal? Would the link be more aware of someone going from 70/m to 15/m or wouldnt it matter? Also is there anyone here who has actually changed tariff after a month? Just wondering if orange would actually say "well you have only been on this tariff for one month"
i have done it, and no, they don't find out about it, the sales person doesn't find out either although they will lose out on the commision, they don't find out, because in the pay slip, they just get a lump sum for commision + tax, not every single sale worked out

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 18-03-2004, 12:57 PM

Unfortunately I will have to wait until August until my contract ends with 02 as I am will be liable for the line rental (25 per month) until then.

The only possible out is in my bill I got today they are stating they are changing the prices for GPRS and International calls. I am not sure but I seem to remember another thread about T-Mobile changing a price which allowed the customer to terminate the contract without penalty because they had changed the terms.

Might give them a phone to confirm this either way.

Old 18-03-2004, 11:08 PM

The p900 on Link online on the 70 tariff was priced at zero, looked on orange, they were charging 130 pounds jus 4 the phone. And most probably, if you bought it straight from Orange, I don't think it would be possible to downgrade since I have a feeling that they are not as 'dumb' as the link and wud definately hv a clawback phrase!

But I wil let u know as soon as I give the notice. Most probably next mon, tue!

Old 19-03-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagger_meerkat
The p900 on Link online on the 70 tariff was priced at zero, looked on orange, they were charging 130 pounds jus 4 the phone. And most probably, if you bought it straight from Orange, I don't think it would be possible to downgrade since I have a feeling that they are not as 'dumb' as the link and wud definately hv a clawback phrase!

But I wil let u know as soon as I give the notice. Most probably next mon, tue!
yes you can, because before i bought mine, i phoned up orange on the 0500 number (direct sales) and asked three different people if i would be able to downgrade, i took the name of the second one down, who said they generally advise customers that they can't downgrade before 3 months, which wasn't definitive, and eventually, i caught him out, and he said i was right, that there is nothing stopping the end user from downgrading, but they just advise customers not to do so

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 22-03-2004, 02:13 PM

JUST DOWNGRADED!

Well, it seems orange is pretty cool about its customers downgrading! The customer representative didn't ask any questions, simple downgrade from 70 to 20 per month! Guys, its effortless, and no questions asked! I jus got the p900 for 50 pounds! Now that's a GREAT deal!

Old 22-03-2004, 04:21 PM

REALIS is on a distinguished road
Anyone thinking of getting a second subscription to downgrade?

I'll pay ₤100 for the phone