All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-03-2004, 12:44 AM

pkaas is on a distinguished road
mmc blocked

well after tryn to install qoffice.sis my 128mb mmc card got blocked. i can open the phone but it gives the alert 'app closed'continuously.no way to go to the menu or to the app manager to uninstall tht damn program..u just watch the alert comin every time u try to touch any button. but works without the mmc card with no problem..so wht shall i do? if format..how shall i do as i cant reach my phone whilest mmc.got any of u guys an idea?

Old 13-03-2004, 08:16 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
One possibility: You could format it with a PC based MMC reader.

Old 15-03-2004, 10:40 AM

scottbryant1975 is on a distinguished road
I have tried the green + * + 3 key combination and the format does not work when I switch the phone back on. I am going to try the other method of *#7370#, will this remove all the rubbish on the phone.

Old 15-03-2004, 01:30 PM

numeric is on a distinguished road
More Codes ... (e.g. back to Factory settings)

You'll find "all" codes for the Nokia 6600 (in german) here: Removed

No Linked Homepage ...

Last edited by numeric; 15-03-2004 at 01:32 PM.

Old 16-03-2004, 04:26 AM

lanwarrior2000 is on a distinguished road
The formatting of the phone is doable for me, but I have an even more pressing questions: What restore can be done after the format?

I always do a FULL backup of my 6600 using the MMC application AND the NOkia PC Suite. Now, if I format my phone back to it's factory setting, my questions are:

1. SELECTIVE RESTORE
One thing that I want to restore after format is my "Contact" informations. After re-format and re-connecting to PC Suite (PCS), PCS will prompt that the phone has never been sync'ed before and need to do that. Now, if I do this, would PCS:

a). OVERWRITE the "old" Nokia data from the phone prior to the format... OR ....

b). ADD the data to the old one.

If b). is true, then I can just easily do a "Contact" restore after format and sync to PCS

2. APPS installed on MMC
I know that apps. installed on the MMC will stay there even after the phone has been re-formatted, but after the format, can I still use the application or need to re-install? I guess I am asking this questions from the point of view of Windows: You can install Windows on C:\, apps. on D:\, but if Windows is re-installed on C:\; all the apps on D:\ must be re-installed.

If indeed the apps. on the MMC need to be reinstalled, that means I have to uninstall the MMC apps PRIOR to format.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by lanwarrior2000; 16-03-2004 at 04:28 AM.

Old 16-03-2004, 09:22 AM

Restored Apps

I have just finished the hard format of my phone and using the Nokia Suite carried out a full restore. I had to give a new name for the phone and then carried out the restore by selecting a different device.

This has restored all previous data to my phone including the apps and they all work ok.

Old 16-03-2004, 10:56 PM

lanwarrior2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Restored Apps

Scott,

When you sync with the PC Suite (PCS) app for the 1st time, isn't PCS will prompt you to do 1st TIME BACKUP on the newly-formatted phone? This would means that your previous data will be overwritten.

Quote:
Originally posted by scottbryant1975
I have just finished the hard format of my phone and using the Nokia Suite carried out a full restore. I had to give a new name for the phone and then carried out the restore by selecting a different device.

This has restored all previous data to my phone including the apps and they all work ok.

Old 17-03-2004, 09:04 AM

I had no problems with the Nokia Suite, I was not asked to carry out a 1st time backup.

Old 21-03-2004, 06:20 AM
astroboyjung

Just a question.....how do i back up my contact into the MMC Card?

Old 21-03-2004, 08:13 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Launch the "Memory" (Memory card) application, hit "Options" and select "Backup phone mem." from the menu.

Old 23-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Unregistered2

hi all,how could i transfer msgs from the phone memory to the mmc>???coz i want 2 format my mob. ??
thanx

Old 23-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Search the forum and RTFM.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 25-03-2004, 08:33 AM

Joe is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the FORMATTING tip

I looked everywhere for someone to tell me how to handle my problem with my 6600. It is an incredible unit but beware of those 3rd party apps floating around. There I was in the office fiddling around all happy from successfully pairing up my PC and phone. Downloading ringtones wirelessly through Suite PC in amazement like I was fresh off the boat or something. After I got tired of downloading every imaginable version of the Mission Impossible theme I ventured to Themes and apps. The themes were just great but when I got to the apps I made the mistake of installing a trial version of "HOT LOCK". I wasn' t too pleased with it so when I decided to remove it that's when the kaka hit the fan. I won't even get into the calendar screwing up but let's just say the OS crashed every 2 minutes.

Thanks to you folks here at allaboutsymbian I'm fiddling with my joystick again. Tomorrow I go the the office and get N'sync'd with Outlook for all my lost contacts and I'm back in business. Almost bought another phone there for a second. THANKS AGAIN!

The moral is: watch out for them apps!

Old 25-03-2004, 09:28 AM

REALIS is on a distinguished road
Re: Thanks for the FORMATTING tip

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
I looked everywhere for someone to tell me how to handle my problem with my 6600. It is an incredible unit but beware of those 3rd party apps floating around. There I was in the office fiddling around all happy from successfully pairing up my PC and phone. Downloading ringtones wirelessly through Suite PC in amazement like I was fresh off the boat or something. After I got tired of downloading every imaginable version of the Mission Impossible theme I ventured to Themes and apps. The themes were just great but when I got to the apps I made the mistake of installing a trial version of "HOT LOCK". I wasn' t too pleased with it so when I decided to remove it that's when the kaka hit the fan. I won't even get into the calendar screwing up but let's just say the OS crashed every 2 minutes.

Thanks to you folks here at allaboutsymbian I'm fiddling with my joystick again. Tomorrow I go the the office and get N'sync'd with Outlook for all my lost contacts and I'm back in business. Almost bought another phone there for a second. THANKS AGAIN!

The moral is: watch out for them apps!
That's a very good moral!
But let's face it. When we get our 6600s we all need to play with them a lot more than they can handle. And after we're done playing and installing every single thing we can find we do mostly find ourselves using just 1-2 extra apps and just using it as a phone again
Ads

Old 25-03-2004, 06:56 PM

estepona is on a distinguished road
Cool Useful helps : Full phone formatting a 6600!

I don't respectfully agree with what is said by Reallis. I use my 6600 ofr professional reasons and thanks to the 6600 for instance I don't need anymore my palm, I can make pictures and send them directly to my Customers. It's really a powerful tool,

Rgds