All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Foxxy is on a distinguished road
Install/Fool internal Gps in W960

Only minor issue i have with my W960, is that theres no internal Gps antenna :(

Now i read a few things about Gps-proxy ,Gpsgate and things to fool the Nokias so that Tomtom uses their internal Gps antennas.

Is there somebody who can tell me if there is a possibility to fool for example the Gprs function and use that antenna as aGps antenna or if i can rip another phone apart, and wield a Gps antenna to the motherboard of the W960 or something? I dont want to be connected to internet for positioning.

In my car is already a normal (*not bluetooth) gps antenna, perhaps I can adjust it somehow if i connect it to the car-kit (HCH-72) so that my phone can make use of that 1 ?Perhaps someone knows if the HGE-100 gps enabler headphone is compatible with TomTom ? would perhaps be the solution to my problem.

ANY help would be appriciated

greetz
Foxx

Last edited by Foxxy; 30-03-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 AM

rudeboymcc is on a distinguished road
There are two parts to a GPS device, the GPS module (a chip) and the GPS antenna.

the W960 doesn't have the GPS module inside it. so there is nowhere to attach the GPS antenna to.

the only way i see this happening is to somehow fit the bluetooth one you have into the phone and make it use the phone's battery, but it would still be a seperate device, and your phone would talk to it using bluetooth.

pretty difficult to do in such a small phone, but if you take out things like the camera perhaps, and cut out some circuit from the bluetooth module (such as the power circuit as you can use the phones) it is possible i guess.
Ads