All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-08-2010, 12:48 PM

N95 dude is on a distinguished road
Smile Am I missing something??

I've spent a few months in the world of the Android and after convincing the missus to get an HTC Desire (so I could play on it ) I have been in two minds about getting one myself.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't want this to turn into a Symbian v Android fest, but I really can't see a decent reason to stay with Symbian.
I have used the search function and the Android platform seems to be a mute subject. Is that because even the most fervent of Symbian supporters can see the light and day difference?
Is everyone on here like me? I got very involved in all things symbian and enjoyed the "challenge" of getting the phone to fit in with my social and work activities. It started with an N70, went to the N73, then the N95, N95 8MB, and finally here I am at the N85 (N86 came out about 4 weeks after I'd signed up. Gutted) with 2 weeks left on my contract.

I look at the latest Nokia offerings and i've either gotten bored of the direction Nokia have taken or wooe'd by the freshness of the android stuff but I just don't see what the S60 can offer me that the android can't.

I have grown accustomed to the OVI way of doing things from Syncing my calender, contacts and notes to buying the odd "app" every now and again but familiar as I am with it all, it isn't half a ball ache.

Symbian seems like Long division compared to the 2+2 simplicity of the Android system to arrive at the same conclusion.

I like to think that I'm not just following the crowd and that I'm capable of making an informed choice (The same brain and rationale that has steered me clear of all things iPhone over the years) but really, can anyone out there give me a good reason to stay with the Symbian platform?

Old 24-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
The answer ATM is hardware. Nokia hardware is still streets ahead of any Android device. Closest being Motorola, I suppose. HTC doesn't come close. Sony Ericsson? Pah! Biggest problem remains sync'ing with Google services, I'm afraid.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:47 PM

opethian23 is on a distinguished road
By pure hardware, the HTC Desire seems way ahead of the latest nokia (being the N8).

HTC Desire has aboug 1GHz CPU and about 500MB RAM.

The N8 = 680MHz and 256MB RAM.

Can you explain how the Nokia handsets are superior?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
You can't compare chip speeds and RAM efficiency across different operating systems. Symbian is more efficient so needs less of this stuff. As I said, Nokia handsets remain superior (generally, to most) in terms of camera, speaker, build quality etc... Depends what you want. Android wins for me because of my reliance on Google Services, much as I might lust for some better hardware than HTC can push out (at hugely inflated prices - at least at launch). And that was my point, really.
Ads

Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM

opethian23 is on a distinguished road
I see.

I was acting ignorantly, hoping for an answer from somebody, and you've helped me by explaining what you did