All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-06-2007, 07:04 AM

dongperez is on a distinguished road
how to upgrade to 2Gb microSD

Hi,

I bought a 2GB microSD to be able to store more audio/image files.

What I did was copy all the files (including hidden files) from the original 1 Gb microSD to my PC. I did this by connecting the microSD into a USB card reader.

The 2GB microSD was formatted with FAT. Then I copied all the files from the backup copy of 1GB microSD to the 2GB microSD.

Inserted the 2GB microSD to my N95. It was recognized by the phone. All images and audio files were OK. However, icons for the applications installed by Nokia into the original 1GB microSD looks different. The icons looks like a puzzle piece with the red square. I tried running the application, but nothing happened. One of the application that did not run was NavFone. For some applications, I was able to fix it by re-installing the application (example: podcasting)

Is there a much better way of upgrading to a higger capacity microSD?

Old 15-06-2007, 08:13 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Sounds like you installed the apps to ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongperez View Post
Hi,

I bought a 2GB microSD to be able to store more audio/image files.

What I did was copy all the files (including hidden files) from the original 1 Gb microSD to my PC. I did this by connecting the microSD into a USB card reader.

The 2GB microSD was formatted with FAT. Then I copied all the files from the backup copy of 1GB microSD to the 2GB microSD.

Inserted the 2GB microSD to my N95. It was recognized by the phone. All images and audio files were OK. However, icons for the applications installed by Nokia into the original 1GB microSD looks different. The icons looks like a puzzle piece with the red square. I tried running the application, but nothing happened. One of the application that did not run was NavFone. For some applications, I was able to fix it by re-installing the application (example: podcasting)

Is there a much better way of upgrading to a higger capacity microSD?
your SD card .. which in the case of a large app I can understand. however think of it like installing an app onto a removable harddisk on your PC .. when you take that harddisk out the Operating system still has the pointer to the app but of course the app is not in the machine anymore.
So in the case of your 2G card you have a couple of choices .. backup(the old card) and restore (to the new card) or copy and reinstall.
To be honest I haven't tried backing up and restoring to another card - though I can't see it as any different. (gimme a few mins I'll test it out)

Old 27-06-2007, 11:09 AM

salanddaz is on a distinguished road
Did you find out how to upgrade to a larger sd card?

I have the O2 handset with a 1gb sd card, with maps already preloaded. I am getting a 2gb sd card in the next dew days and have no idea how to install the card with everything from the 1gb card.

Will it be a case of transferring all the card nto the new one, I made sure that any apps I have installed have been loaded straight onto the phone memory so will it be quite straight forward. Also does anyone know where to find the maps on the O2 card

Thanks

Old 27-06-2007, 02:32 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Seems like something Nokia should have thought of by now. This is the third phone I've bought and upgraded the memory card for and it's always a case of reinstalling loads of crap.
Would be nice if they provided a tool to move everything, as is, from one card to another.

Old 27-06-2007, 09:48 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
Seems like something Nokia should have thought of by now. This is the third phone I've bought and upgraded the memory card for and it's always a case of reinstalling loads of crap.
Would be nice if they provided a tool to move everything, as is, from one card to another.
I've upgraded my N73 from 512MB to 2GB and my N95 from 512MB to 2GB and then to 4GB. In every case I have done it by copying it all files from the old card to the new one.

Every app has worked and I have not had any broken links.

The only time I have ever had to reinstall an app is after upgrading firmeware.

Old 28-06-2007, 11:20 PM

canadian* is on a distinguished road
Folks.

I upgraded from 1 gb to 2 gb yesterday. I tried to use the backup and restore functionality.
I chose memory and memory card backup and then did a restore to the new 2 gb card.

Most of my applications were MIA after the restore. It copied all the gross files accross, but the application registrations are somehow missed.
I also lost most of my contacts.

I think NOKIA need to seriously fix this function.

Old 29-06-2007, 08:58 AM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I've just ordered a 4gb card and will have to do the same. My method to try will be:
  • Connect phone to PC and set USB to Mass Storage
  • Connect 4gb card to PC using USB reader (which comes with the card)
  • Copy old card to 4gb card
  • Disconnect 4gb card
  • Switch off phone
  • Take out old card
  • Put in 4gb card
  • Switch on phone
I can't see why this wouldn't work as I use Mass Storage mode quite often to wipe out old system files left over from bad uninstallers e.g Wayfinder v7

Old 29-06-2007, 09:19 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer nah .. use backup & restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomyn View Post
I've just ordered a 4gb card and will have to do the same. My method to try will be:
  • Disconnect 4gb card
  • Switch off phone
  • Take out old card
  • Put in 4gb card
  • Switch on phone
I can't see why this wouldn't work as I use Mass Storage mode quite often to wipe out old system files left over from bad uninstallers e.g Wayfinder v7
just like any other drive .. try that and report findings ..

Old 29-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
just like any other drive .. try that and report findings ..
From your subject, "nah .. use backup & restore" it doesn't back things up properly, especially programs. It's useless, you find when doing a firmware upgrade all the applications on the memory card have to be re-installed.

Old 29-06-2007, 10:06 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomyn View Post
  • Disconnect 4gb card
  • Switch off phone
  • Take out old card
  • Put in 4gb card
  • Switch on phone
That's exactly what I've always done (except I use a card reader instead of mass storage mode) and it has worked 100% every time. The only apps that might conceivably not work after this are ones that are tied to a specific card id.
Ads