All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-11-2004, 05:45 PM

neuro is on a distinguished road
Nokia's new Firmware Policy....really crappy.

Ok, now if someone can verify this also.....but this is the latest new I recieved from Nokia this morning.

Anyways, I currently have 2 Ngage QDs...one with firmware 4.00 and one with 4.10. The QD with the 4.00 firmware obviously has a dimmer screen - not a big deal but I wanted a brighter screen like the QD with the 4.10 firmware. So I went ahead and sent my QD with the older firmware to Nokia for a re-flashed and I specifically let them know that it had a dimmer screen and I needed the latest firmware installed. Well 2 days later they sent it back. I turned it on, screen was still dimmed AND it now had firmware 3.05 installed!!! I was like, WTF!!!

So i gave them a call this morning and asked them what was up with the firmware downgrade. And after being passed around to a couple of support techs, this is what they told me :

"I can explain why your QD was re-flashed with a lower firmware. According to Nokia's new policy, we can not tell our customers what the latest firmware is because different service providers in different areas use require different firmwares in order for it to be fully compatible."

Now I knew this had to be a load of BS so I asked him :

"Ok, but why is that? I currently am an AT&T user and I was able to configure the QD with a 4.10 firmware, which also happened to be configured for T-Mobile, which I bought from this guy in California through eBay to work perfectyly in my Washington, DC area?"

Of course, the support tech really had no answer so he just stated "This is the only information I can give you at this time".

Well now that sucked....I'm gonna email Nokia for some more info on this. Anyone else had similar expereinces?
Ads

Old 20-11-2004, 03:05 PM
ddrnotonline

Yea. I have the same problems with service providers. AND NOKIA IS WORSE FOR THAT. Because they say ask you service provider. So for flashing i took it into my own hands. Got a CD for flashing phones.got a russain translator to figure it out. But still havent used it. But service providers dont know anything. I am lucky up here in canada there is a store sells sell phone but not on plans. All unlocked all on gsm. They will do anything to help. It explains the price range!!!!!!

Old 25-11-2004, 12:37 AM

Ensci is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (NokiaN-GageQD/1.0 SymbianOS/6.1 Series60/1.2 Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Let me add a big f*ck to NOKIA