All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-10-2009, 09:24 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Headset icon stuck on - even when headset removed

Well, up until today my N97 was just annoying. Now after a trip to the gym this evening I removed my headphones and nothing - the headset icon stayed on.

Have tried powering off and on, inserting the headphones again and starting the phone up with the headphones in. Tried a battery pull... No luck.

Has anyone else had this and managed to resolve it without a trip to a service centre? I really don't want to have to make a trip to a service centre as this phone will have required more 'servicing' than my current car.
Ads

Old 23-10-2009, 11:37 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
Well, up until today my N97 was just annoying. Now after a trip to the gym this evening I removed my headphones and nothing - the headset icon stayed on.

Have tried powering off and on, inserting the headphones again and starting the phone up with the headphones in. Tried a battery pull... No luck.

Has anyone else had this and managed to resolve it without a trip to a service centre? I really don't want to have to make a trip to a service centre as this phone will have required more 'servicing' than my current car.
try a factory reset from in settings, do a backup first tho, if that dont worrk try a hard reset.

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 24-10-2009, 11:55 AM

rossgustaf is on a distinguished road
My old HTC Prophet had a problem similar to this, turned out to be a pin in the headphone socket that was poorly made and got stuck down. Made it almost unusable :/
hopefully it's a software thing and not another hardware fault!

Old 26-10-2009, 10:02 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info guys (or gals!)

This is a hardware problem but I managed to sort it using a needle.

The headphone socket on my N97 has 3 gold contacts - two near the bottom of the socket on one side and one nearer the top on another side. I noticed the contact near the top used to stick out quite a bit when the socket was empty but was now less visible and guessed this must be the contact used to check for the existence of headphones. Managed to use a loupe and a needle to move the contact out a little where it had become stuck and immediately the headset icon disappeared from the display.

Tested it with my headphones and it seems to be working again, the contact must have got stuck in the 'on' position. It'll probably happen again, but hopefully I will be offloading the N97 in the next month or so and should be able to get shot before it happens again.

Old 26-10-2009, 10:24 AM

willem hordijk is on a distinguished road
Very good solution.
But a toothpick can bring also the solution!
Tutch with a metal thing !!!!!

Last edited by willem hordijk; 26-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Old 15-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Tony2times is on a distinguished road
How to solve nokia n70 headset symbol problem

Follow instructions here:

http://www.4u3.biz/Articles/electronics/mobile-phones/nokia-n70-how-to-remove-the-headset-enhancement-symbol.html