All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-06-2007, 09:12 AM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
Motorola BT headset not pairing with N95

My first post here as a new N95 owner - this is one amazing gadget, especially after I got the WiFi working properly (for which I have a couple of posts on this forum to thank ). Just waiting for my new 2Gb microSD card to arrive, then the fun can really begin...

One "fly in the ointment": I can't get the N95 to pair with my Bluetooth headset, a Motorola HS820. I've had the latter since early 2005, and it always paired with my previous phone (a Motorola V500) with no problems. However, when I start 'discovery', the N95 won't even detect that the HS820 is present, even if the two units are placed right next to each other. (Yes, the headset is switched on )

A friend said she'd heard that Motorola Bluetooth gear doesn't always have the best reputation - also, I suppose the HS820 is a bit old, and I recall hearing that early BT equipment wouldn't always work well with devices from a different manufacturer.

Has anyone here had any similar experiences to mine? I'd be pleased if I could get these two items to "play nice", not least because I don't really want to have to cough up for a new BT headset (there are a good few other N95 accessories in my wishlist, and cash is a bit tight right now).

Any thoughts most welcome - many thanks.

Old 27-06-2007, 01:41 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
I found the solution - should have Googled a bit more before posting

My search was on "motorola hs820 pairing problem", and the top result - at time of searching, a post on the Mobiledia forum, contained the answer. It was down to the fact that I haven't paired the HS820 with another phone in over three years, and had forgotten how it was done...

The solution - I quote:

"When turning on the HS820, press and HOLD the center button until it is discovered. The mistake is turning on the headset and releasing the button when the light blinks - as you normally would when just turning it on."

That was the problem - I wasn't holding down the HS820's main button after the headset switched on (the action which puts the unit into pairing mode).

Anyway, I've now got the phone paired with the headset, and now I just need to set up voice dialling. I just hope that three years of phone evolution means the N95's voice recognition will be better than its predecessor's...
Ads

Old 26-12-2010, 07:12 AM

HiDAVE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawalker View Post
I found the solution - should have Googled a bit more before posting

My search was on "motorola hs820 pairing problem", and the top result - at time of searching, a post on the Mobiledia forum, contained the answer. It was down to the fact that I haven't paired the HS820 with another phone in over three years, and had forgotten how it was done...

The solution - I quote:

"When turning on the HS820, press and HOLD the center button until it is discovered. The mistake is turning on the headset and releasing the button when the light blinks - as you normally would when just turning it on."

That was the problem - I wasn't holding down the HS820's main button after the headset switched on (the action which puts the unit into pairing mode).

Anyway, I've now got the phone paired with the headset, and now I just need to set up voice dialling. I just hope that three years of phone evolution means the N95's voice recognition will be better than its predecessor's...
Beauty! Thanks mate!!