All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
But be fair - what Android or iPhone even HAS UDP like Nokias do... with them, if you wipe, you have to do a re-sync. There is no data protection on Firmware updates in the same way as best I know.
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying before I weigh in. If you restore an iPhone, you have the option of setting up the device as brand new or you can restore from a backup. If Apple releases a firmware upgrade, the UDP as you call it within the iPhone works flawlessly. The only thing altered is the OS. The user data is not touched. The same can not be said of all Nokia f/w upgrades. Many to most work while others sometimes don't. Do you have any practical experience with an iPhone other than what you read? You seem to speak about iPhones often, and are generally wrong most of the time. Maybe you should sort of stick to what you really know about. You are not burdened with too much knowledge regarding iPhones. That was not meant as a swipe at you but just to let you know that you do not know as much as you think you do.
Ads

Old 24-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Helsie

Can't be happy with this...

Well, nice to see some people happy with a new firmware, but they probably didn't have too many problems with the previous one. Because if you did, you would see problems are still there.

* Still a big problem with key filtering. If you press a letter left from the 'numerical letters' and then quickly a 'numerical letter' it won't register your 2nd keypress. Nice if you type fast...
* Keys 7 and 8 not working in the menu. Sucks!
* SmartConnect, which is now included, doesn't work properly. Causes all kinds of freezes and you will not have an umts connection with it. Previous firmware worked fine with my seperately installed SmartConnect.
* Still quickly out of memory. Never got the message with previous firmware, got it twice already in 3 days now.

Is this the best Nokia can do after so much waiting? I still cannot believe and accept that!

Old 25-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsie View Post
Well, nice to see some people happy with a new firmware, but they probably didn't have too many problems with the previous one. Because if you did, you would see problems are still there.

* Still a big problem with key filtering. If you press a letter left from the 'numerical letters' and then quickly a 'numerical letter' it won't register your 2nd keypress. Nice if you type fast...
* Keys 7 and 8 not working in the menu. Sucks!
* SmartConnect, which is now included, doesn't work properly. Causes all kinds of freezes and you will not have an umts connection with it. Previous firmware worked fine with my seperately installed SmartConnect.
* Still quickly out of memory. Never got the message with previous firmware, got it twice already in 3 days now.

Is this the best Nokia can do after so much waiting? I still cannot believe and accept that!
Cue the Nokia apologists to come and flame you, lead in part by shadamehr the know-it-all. You are 100% correct that this upgrade is not spectacular as the phone is only marginally faster, and the supposed fixes or upgrades simply do not work. It is very hard to stay with Nokia when they continue to shoot themselves in the foot with crappy release after crappy release.

Old 26-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Unregistered

why I can't update the firmware

Hi All,

I tried to updated my firmware by nokia pc suite but fail and also tried with ovi suite which is also failed.

All the file has been downloaded via NSU updater but when it is going to flash my phone.
The USB connection is disconnected, as far as I remember at previous firmware update.
The USB connection will be reconnected and the phone is being flashed..

But this time, the updater can not make it....It says I must un-plug the USB and restart my phone and connect it again....

However after I did it, the same problem still happen....
What should I do ?

Fyi, when I connected my phone to the PC suite \ Ovi suite, my phone is detected and can interact with the pc suite \ ovi suite.

Thanks

Old 28-04-2010, 09:46 AM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
Just got a text and checked on the Nokia site to see this update is now available for UK SIM free units, which is a little faster than updates have appeared in the fast.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:47 PM
jian

i couldnt connect to internet after the firmware upgrade. it says "no connection". anyone could help pls???

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 AM
ESerieUser

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jian View Post
i couldnt connect to internet after the firmware upgrade. it says "no connection". anyone could help pls???
Same problem: the Wifi is no more recognized and no more internet connection is possible

Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Unregistered

The update is now also available in Norway with "no-branded" phones. Mine is RM-530. I updated yesterday evening.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

After updating the firmware and hard reset finally my MfE is working properly. But...

Battery is now empty after 6 hrs, even without any activity. When I looked into this I noticed that I had a lot of data usage (>100MB) during the day (again without any activity, didn't use the phone during the day, was only switched on...)

It looks like the E72 is now always connected (to what, can't see any open/active applications...)

Is this issue familiar to anybody and if yes, how to solve? As said I was happy that MfE finally was working properly, but this problem gives me new headaches...

Thnx

Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

after i upgraded the firmware ota to 031.023 on my e72-2 product code 0573646, the phone frequently hangs while i try to check new emails . i say hangs and not crashes becuase it can be brought back to the home screen by pressing the power button and changing profiles , but only after a few tries, and sometimes not at all. but when i try to open NM again, the same problem. i am pulling the battery way to many times (3X/day) a week. whats going on?

Old 25-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Unregistered

ovi suite and nokia updater - pure loss

yeah these are not making contact via USB cable my irish network e72 unit...

have uninstalled nokia updater has it looks hopeless... like really... will leave ovi suite installed, but will be doing all my phone updates via the phone in the future...

i do hope nokia get their sh!t together soon... this e72 does indeed promise a lot...

Old 31-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Don D

Hi,

I noticed an annoying issue in the latest firmware on an E72 phone.

When I reply to a big email ( let's say gmail email ), which has Initial Text attached, and let's say after 20 replies or so, when I am writing, I find some lag between appearing the text on display. Also when pressing ENTER key, it takes several moments to move with a line down.

Why is this? I really hope to be fixed in the next firmware upgrade.