All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-04-2006, 02:58 PM

Nowa is on a distinguished road
Question Internet sharing over WLAN

Does anyone know if it is possible to share the internet connection in N80 using WLAN?

I've seen the topics where people were sharing the internet connection they have on their PCs with WLAN capable phones, enabling the phone to use the internet through the PCs access point.

My question is however if it is possible to do it the other way around?
Basiclly, establishing a data call with the phone (over GPRS or 3G) and then sharing that connection over WLAN with other PCs.

Similar to what I can already do over Bluetooth but using the WLAN as a bearer instead as the range is of course so much better than Bluetooth.

Has anyone any experiece of this?

I'd really appreciate any help, I've managed to connect the phone to my wireless router but thats about about it...

Cheers

Old 20-04-2006, 08:13 PM

nickg78 is on a distinguished road
I have connected my N80 with my wireless ADSL router over WLAN too.

I will also try to share the connection with the PC and post the results. Probably, if you setup a HTTP proxy server on the PC and use it on your phone, it should work.

Last edited by nickg78; 20-04-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Old 20-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not sure this is going to be possible. I dont think the WLAN in the N80 is set up to share connection like this (effectively it would have to be hosting an adhoc wifi network). The problem is the phone sees the connections (3G / WLAN as either or as far as I can tell). It will only let connect to one Access Point at a time.

That said it might be possible to write software to do this.

Clearly the other way round (using the PC as the host) works absolutely fine (because the phone just uses WLAN like any other Acess Point).

I suspect the only way you might be able to do this is:

Connect a PC (connected to an N80 via USB) to the net via the N80 over WCDMA. Share that connection (i.e. the PC's connection via a ad-hoc wireless network). This assumes the PC has a wifi capability.

Old 23-04-2006, 02:53 PM

steff2632 is on a distinguished road
on the n80s flash faq thingy it shows ad hoc as a availble connection so it could be possible.

Old 23-04-2006, 02:54 PM

steff2632 is on a distinguished road
do you think it would be possbile to access the pc's like file strcutre this way though?though ad hoc?like use the pc as a ftp & just d/l files from it?
Ads

Old 24-04-2006, 05:42 PM

jacky_cy is on a distinguished road
help me set up the wlan on the n80

hi to all

i want to set up the wlan on my n80 but i cant. the only thing i did is to find my router and conn.mpr/awailagble wlan and to define the access point.

can someone help me?is there any site that tells you what do?

Old 24-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You should use the access point you created (or EasyWLAN) when you get the choice as to wicth data connection you should use. If you dont see this when browsing / email then go into settings and change the deafult access point to always ask.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:00 AM

jacky_cy is on a distinguished road
need help

i have wireless router and define the router to my mobile and i put the same setting that i have on my pc to n80when i go to connect to the intenret it says no gateway reply. what it mean and what to do?

Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Founder / Chief

That would suggest you router is conected to the Internet.

Old 17-05-2006, 04:14 PM

Nowa is on a distinguished road
Hi Rafe,

sorry for the delay in replying to this.

Thanks for your suggestion, this is exactly the way I have been doing it so far with my Nokia 6630.
Basiclly, 6630 connected to the PC using USB and then the PC is connected to a WiFi router (enabling the PC to be wireless) I've enabled "internet sharing" on the PC so if a laptop connects to the PC (over WiFi) then the 6630 makes a "dial-up" (using GPRS or 3G) and I'm connected to the internet.

I was however hoping to switch of the PC. This can be done (even with my current use of the 6630) as I can still make a "dial-up" with 6630 using Bluetooth as a carrier from a PC/laptop, the problem is however the limited range of Bluetooth. So I was hoping that my N80 phone would solve this simply by using WLAN as a carrier instead of Bluetooth, and if this wouldn't be possible then I was hoping that the N80 would allow "internet sharing" just like any PC... Unfortunately it looks like it's not as simple as that...

Anyway, do you happen to know of any "smart phone" that WOULD allow for something like this? Either using WLAN as a carrier or allowing to share its internet connection?

Thanks in advance.

/Peter

Old 27-03-2010, 08:27 AM

MR10 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Joikuspot

I see this thread is a little old, but to give you the answer to your problem: with the s60 app Joikuspot you can share your GPRS connection through WLAN.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Banned

SDK is on a distinguished road
Very thank you for your message, I want to I can have a lot of help