All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

Moved off topic comment: S60 3rd Edition support

Sorry for going off track !

I feel very sad when ever I think about how Nokia are going about with things now, they have completley stoped supporting S60 3rd Edition, all scrap Java games, and Apps only for S60 5th Edit. I own a N79 and now I am definatley going to move to Samsung - the Samsung Wave.

Even latley they released some QT coded apps only for N97 - What the Heck !! they were shouting aloud that QT is Cross Platform, and it is very easy to Code for cross platforms, than why the Heck they left out S60 3rd Edition. I am really begnning to get very Irritated !!

They gave free navigation to many Cells but overlooked their Nseries like N79 and N85 ?

Very soon they will release on N8 and I am sure they will support it only for 4-5 months and then release S^4 phones and ignore the N8 !! Mark my words, I feel you can trust them, as you all trusted "Octopus Paul" who's predictions allways came true !!

Steve, Rafe, Evan please do comment on this, what you feel, Is this Right what Nokia is doing ?
Ads

Old 15-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Simple answer:

The more recent devices are supported (e.g. look at Maps on the E72). Inevitably the older devices are less well supported. For Nokia it is a question of priorities - and the truth is that lies with Symbian^1 and above, especially with regards to apps.

Old 15-07-2010, 06:18 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Simple answer:

The more recent devices are supported (e.g. look at Maps on the E72). Inevitably the older devices are less well supported. For Nokia it is a question of priorities - and the truth is that lies with Symbian^1 and above, especially with regards to apps.
What is the road map for 3rd edition then? I'm still unsure as to whether S^3 will be used on non touch devices. Can you confirm this?

The priorities argument is fair enough but Nokia are still selling 3rd edition phones from new and should thus be featuring in their future plans.