All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 13-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia C6 - mid-tier touchscreen with slide out QWERTY

Today Nokia introduced the Nokia C6, a mid-range touchscreen smartphone, with a slide out QWERTY keyboard and comprehensive social messaging software suite. The C6 runs Symbian^1 (but with pervasive kinetic scrolling and widget homescreen, N97-style) and features a 5 megapixel camera, integrated GPS and comprehensive connectivity options. It ships with a full range of Ovi services, including Ovi Maps (free car and pedestrian navigation), Ovi Store (content downloads), Ovi Music (music store), and Nokia Messaging (email and instant messaging). The Nokia C6 will be available later this quarter at a price of EUR 220 before taxes and subsidies. Read on for more.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:08 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
How many times can they cost reduce the N97?

Another day where anticipation has led to major disappointment from Nokia.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:09 AM
jcompagner

cpu?

Are these new once still the slow pre cortext arm cpu's?
Is the N900 still the only nokia phone with a cortext?

Old 13-04-2010, 08:29 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Not bad - I`m guessing this is exactly the same internals as X6/N97mini? Good value for the money probably the price segment the N97 warranted releasing in and even the mini with it`s currently discounted 350 pounds price in Nokia store has been looking expensive and this will address that value gap. Also I guess they can`t release anything higher end without it being on SF^3 or terminally screwing what`s left of customer loyalty.

Not a wildly exciting device but exciting price point and next step in Nokia`s Symbian smartphones for the masses strategy but they better get it to market quickly and unlike X6 make sure it`s stable at release. I would almost be tempted myself but for the fact I`ve got an N97 and I know SF^3 has to be round the corner (if it isn`t Nokia better give up). For the price I could probably even live with it`s very short OS lifespan and wouldn't mind it being obsolete in 3-4months when SF^3 hits the streets - it`s all about the price. Going to make shifting the N97 mini a bit of an uphill task - but guess there`s new N series wonderdog waiting on the launch pad .

When SF^3 launches Nokia better start making the upgrades paths and availabilities clear to avoid consumer frustration and whining though.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Brendan Donegan

I see the tribe of 'just don't get it' has descended on AA;

"How many times can they cost reduce the N97?

Another day where anticipation has led to major disappointment from Nokia. "

Once I guess - sorry, tell me the other phones that 'cost reduce the N97' - do you mean the Mini? That's hardly much cheaper.

Seems like there are some people who just can't get their heads around the fact that the majority of people buy a phone as a phone and couldn't give a flip if it's got a Cortex in it or not!

Old 13-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

I would guess that this is roughly the same internal hardware as in the 5800, N97 mini etc. It's a 5800 with keyboard and widgets. But not the build of a N97 mini.

In the dimensions in the text it seems to state that this is bigger in every dimension than a 5800 but smaller in cc. How can this be?

I am sure I will buy it to add to my collection. I have just ordered a Desire - the frst Android phone that really tempted me. I now have 2 phones for every weekday to choose from. Can't beat a bit of variety.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:42 AM

zyler is on a distinguished road
So what's really new? While Android and the others are making them better and faster what is Nokia doing? Why shouldn't I just get a N97 mini or an E73 on E-Bay?

Old 13-04-2010, 08:46 AM

@ Brendan Donegan

But they care wildly if it`s unstable and Nokia`s skinflint hardware combined with symbian platform has brought some very unreliable devices to market recently that the general phone buying public won`t tolerate and have severely damaged Nokia and symbian`s reputations. Part of Apple`s success story is it "just works" for the arrogantly categorised nor-mobs so that I would recommend and iPhone for my mum over any recent Symbian based product.

I get this product - see remarks above, but both Symbian and Nokia really need to prove themselves this year first and foremostly on a reliability front and address the damage of last year. And the requests for better hardware platforms sometimes reflect the frustrations of those of us who have to put up with the pain of say managing the N97 C: on a week to week basis. They`re not always well directed but I think yourselves and nokia need to acknowledge the frustration and sometimes hostility that has built up through consumers being burned and some are still stuck like myself with those devices for some while yet.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:47 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
@Brendan Donegan

Nokia are pushing many phones to the masses which I agree with. An N97 style phone available in an affordable pricerange for PAYT customers is something that should be applauded
However Nokia have always put themselves technology leaders and innovators yet it seems that many companies are pushing ahead with innovation not only with OS but with hardware.

All I can say is with the time it is taking, Nokia will have to be absolutely spot on with their Symbian ^3 handset because the competition around is just too much for them to take so long and get it wrong.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:53 AM

bluejacker is on a distinguished road
Looks like a really good phone for that price. But, no word about WLAN? If not, then I'm not interested.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:54 AM

@yade

Absolutely agree if there`s a slight slip with either the devices or if SF^3 doesn`t deliver on the weight of expectation that has now built on it after the wait and the N97 debacle the backlash will be very severe.

Old 13-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Brendan Donegan

@snoFlake

I didn't actually see your first post, so wasn't talking to you specifically. I agree that it's important for devices to be reliable and perform reasonably (I'm in the quality business) but I'm only saying that it's not necessary to have a Cortex A8 in order to achieve that. I believe the software should be stable because Symbian^1 is mature now, but obviously there could still be problems.

@bluejacker

It does have WLAN - take a look at the full spec sheet here: http://events.nokia.com/everyoneconn..._datasheet.pdf (I'm surprised that detail was left out of the post)

@yade

I think you're being overdramatic. It's been one year since they released their last flagship handset, how is that a long time? Most people don't buy a new phone yearly anyway.

Old 13-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyler View Post
So what's really new? While Android and the others are making them better and faster what is Nokia doing?
Making them cheaper and more accessible.

Old 13-04-2010, 10:07 AM
UnInterested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Making them cheaper and more accessible.
Agreed, people immediately compare this phone to Android phones that are at least double the price. Duh.
Ads

Old 13-04-2010, 10:13 AM
nisched

hardware complete

is it the case that we are now hardware complete on phones? like computers with only small changes to come?

a laptop has a monitor, keyboard, maybe a webcam, wifi, maybe 3G, a few USBs and maybe bluetooth. I only change it every few years.

a phone has 3G, WIFI, bluetooth, GPS and screen 2.5-4 inches, maybe a keyboard, headphones, speaker, camera, maybe secondary camera, microSD, micro USB. how often do I need to change phone now?

lists above aren't meant to be complete. the spec has changed so much in 5 years but there is almost a fixed hardware load-out now. If so then prices are really going to fall (like PCs) and nokia appear ahead of that curve.

what new is really going to change the spec? LTE won't change it that much... nor HD video.

software is improving incrementally both on symbian and other platforms. Will the C5 be closer to n97 v20 firmware on release? hope so.

just a set of thoughts/queries.