All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Stezo2k is on a distinguished road
Touch Screen QWERTY keyboard

Hi guys, havent been on here for yonks. just got my N97, mixed opinions. I really loved my n95/96 but this is taking time to grow on me although im sure it will

Anyways, as much as i love the keyboard, i cant get used to texting landscape. I'd much prefer a QWERTY keyboard on screen like the iphone. is there any app which does this? Many thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stezo2k View Post
Hi guys, havent been on here for yonks. just got my N97, mixed opinions. I really loved my n95/96 but this is taking time to grow on me although im sure it will

Anyways, as much as i love the keyboard, i cant get used to texting landscape. I'd much prefer a QWERTY keyboard on screen like the iphone. is there any app which does this? Many thanks
If you need an on-screen keyboard in portrait mode for when you're browsing the web, there's one on Opera Mobile.

Other than that, I don't think there is one...

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 10-02-2010, 08:27 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I'd advise you to get used to it - it's much better than texting in portrait mode, using the physical keyboard is great IMHO, much better than any on screen virtual keyboard.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 PM

fadi_k is on a distinguished road
try this one. Never tried it myself but i think its what ur looking for. Let me know if its any good.

http://www.i-symbian.com/dayhand-key...-for-symbian1/

just remembered an another app. It's called SlideIT. Tried it once. Very cool virtual keyboard on both landscape and portrait mode. But there was one problem. It started typing different letters when i used the real keyboard. Dont know if u can turn it off on landscape mode. The app was a beta version when i tried it so they might have fixet the problem. And u can try it for free. SlideIT. Google it. And some good clips on youtube about it.

Last edited by fadi_k; 11-02-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadi_k View Post
try this one. Never tried it myself but i think its what ur looking for. Let me know if its any good.

http://www.i-symbian.com/dayhand-key...-for-symbian1/
Hey, nice find fadi_k!

I installed it on my N97 this morning and it's so much nicer to use a virtual keyboard than the virtual numberpad Nokia make us use. It took a short while to set up though because all the options in the menus appear as squares, probably because they're written in Japanese or something and my phone doesn't have that language built in.

It works in both portrait and landscape mode. I don't think I'll find myself using the landscape one as I can just open the phone and use the physical keyboard instead, but the portrait one works wonders when I'm forced to use just one hand.

I would advise everyone give this a go. It'll need signing though. If you're going to try it, go for the 17r4 version instead of 19r4. The latter wouldn't install on my phone for some reason.

Again, nice find!

[EDIT] Here's where SlideIT is - http://www.dasur.co.il/index.php - Looks interesting. I might give it a go later.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 11-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Ads

Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 PM

VIP_RoMaNcE_VIP is on a distinguished road
I do not think that there are keys of the keyboard to the screen....

Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Ahh looks like I spoke too soon. Having the app enabled makes the physical keyboard print the wrong characters. Then again it doesn't say on the site that it was tested on an N97. Hopefully there'll be a new version that supports it fully.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 PM

fadi_k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Having the app enabled makes the physical keyboard print the wrong characters.
witch app u talking about? Dayhand or SlideIT?

I know that Slideit makes the real keyboard go nuts but havent tried dayhand.

Yes, there should be a way to turn it off on landscape mode.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadi_k View Post
witch app u talking about? Dayhand or SlideIT?

I know that Slideit makes the real keyboard go nuts but havent tried dayhand.

Yes, there should be a way to turn it off on landscape mode.
Sorry I was referring to DayHand. I'm still exploring the menus to see if I can fix the problem but it's not looking good. Don't get me wrong: the horizontal keyboard is quite nice to use but nothing compaired to the physical keyboard.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 16-02-2010, 03:08 PM

MiltonKin is on a distinguished road
SlideIT on OVI

Quote:
just remembered an another app. It's called SlideIT. Tried it once. Very cool virtual keyboard on both landscape and portrait mode. But there was one problem. It started typing different letters when i used the real keyboard. Dont know if u can turn it off on landscape mode. The app was a beta version when i tried it so they might have fixet the problem. And u can try it for free. SlideIT. Google it. And some good clips on youtube about it.

SlideIT is now on OVI with a new version

http://store.ovi.com/content/24305?clickSource=search

nice Video for my Russain friends :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9-PCFT0Bos