All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 15-06-2009, 09:39 AM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
I used to say that when Nokia made an N95 with a QWERTY keypad, I'd have found my upgrade. Now they've effectively done it twice over (E72 and N97), I find I'm quite happy to stay with my N95 for the time being... how fickle am I?

BTW: I assume from the pics/spec that the E72 doesn't have Carl Zeiss optics, in which case, would the 5 megapixels be worth much?

Old 15-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon View Post
The Optical Navi-Key looks like a show-stealer here. That 'flick' scrolling - assuming it's available in all apps (at least the built-in ones) will make it such a big handling difference. Will this feature be made available to use for 3rd-party developers? If so, are they likely to invest in updating their back-catalogues to include it? Or will it just magically work across all apps out-of-the-box? Rafe?

Tim
I don't know at the moment. However I would imagine it will just work (sort of). One flick will equal one down push in 3rd party apps (i.e. move through list items one at a time). In apps customised to take advantage one flick might move through several items on a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A couple of questions:

1) Does this mean Steve and all of us can finally use Ctrl C and Ctrl V to copy and paste?
2) Does 250MB of Internal Memory finally mean 250MB RAM memory? Obviously translate into higher speeds?
3) Processor speed? And type of processor?
4) Does this have a dedicated camera button?

I hope this finally means Nokia is not penchy pinching like in N97.

Thanks Rafe and Steve
1. Yes, this works on the E71 too, but only in select applications.
2. No RAM is 128 MB, the internal memory is the C: drive.
3. Not sure of exact details. It is ARM 11 single chip - if same as E75 then 369 Mhz (Freescale?), but could also be the 600 Mhz on as seen in the E55.
4. It appears not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Where did you get "Support for Nokia N-Gage" from? Certainly not from the press release:

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1322480
Its in the social media press release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Looks like i won't be getting an N97 after all. Love my E71, and the N97 seems a bit flawed so this E72 is the perfect step up, and saves me a couple of hundred quid too. Guessing FOTA means over the air firmware updates?
Great work as always chaps.
Yes FOTA = firmware over the air. And with UDP - i.e. wont wipe memory when updated. Make fimware updates much less painful. Sorry should have avoid acronyms at 4 am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
This is the bit I found most interesting, for what it says about Nokia's mail strategy:

...so in effect this is "comes with push e-mail"?

Will we eventually see "comes with turn-by-turn navigation" for Nokia Maps perhaps? That would certainly be plausible considering Nokia owns both the mapping company (Navteq) and the navigation software company (Gate5).
Yes. And really we already have Comes with Maps - its the 6710 Navigator - although I think that comes with just 12 months. The E72 has life time walk navigation too.

Old 15-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawalker View Post
I used to say that when Nokia made an N95 with a QWERTY keypad, I'd have found my upgrade. Now they've effectively done it twice over (E72 and N97), I find I'm quite happy to stay with my N95 for the time being... how fickle am I?

BTW: I assume from the pics/spec that the E72 doesn't have Carl Zeiss optics, in which case, would the 5 megapixels be worth much?
That's right... will be interesting to see quality of the camera. I would get my hopes up too high. There's a limit to what you can squeeze into the space. Should be a noticeable improvement though.

Old 15-06-2009, 10:24 AM

keefsloan is on a distinguished road
I echo other posters. I've only just discovered the delights of The E71 after buying one a couple of months ago (still have my N82, but only for weekend camera use with the family). And now this. Its only the camera that lets the phone down. A better snapper would render my N82 to the ebay files. If the 5mp imaging hardware and software produce above average results then I'm sold. It'll be my third new phone in a year. The wife is going to kill me!!

Old 15-06-2009, 10:27 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon View Post
The Optical Navi-Key looks like a show-stealer here. That 'flick' scrolling - assuming it's available in all apps (at least the built-in ones) Or will it just magically work across all apps out-of-the-box? Rafe?Tim
I am not so sure of that. Remember the Navi-wheel on the Nseries? It didnt work in all apps!

Old 15-06-2009, 10:29 AM
E71Bartek

Still iPhone

I've got E71 now, and if I were only typing smses - I'd love it.

In other areas... well, there is a potential, but what good is an email client, if it has to be removed because GPRS/EDGE/3G packet connections stopped working? (Nokia Email is messing with connections somehow.) A-GPS ("A-" part) started working after second firmware upgrade. (And stopped in my friend's branded E71)

Web browsing is ridiculously slow, it takes dozens of seconds to render moderately sophisticated page. Page navigation is awkward and slow. Flash content mostly doesn't work.

From time to time, phone crashes during phone calls. Performance degrades as new applications are installed, even opening main menu, after 3 months of usage (after firmware update and hard reset), lags noticeably.

No GFX acceleration means also games are crappy. It sucks when you see a guy playing some smooth RTS on his iPhone during flight.

What I need is a fast, reliable phone, not cluttered with functionality that works "almost perfectly". With responsive interface and stable OS. And, at this moment, this is not any of Nokia phones.

Old 15-06-2009, 10:32 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Its in the social media press release.
Whatever the social media press release is, it most probably has an error, then (at least in this respect).

Old 15-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

I have to say I'm very impressed, I love my e71 and this just improves on it in everyway. Haven't been too impressed with Nokia of late but this is definitely my new phone. Though I am still thinking about the processor, will it really still be running at 369mhz? is that enough power?

Old 15-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Whatever the social media press release is, it most probably has an error, then (at least in this respect).
OK thanks noted. For reference Soical Media Press release is here http://private.conversations.nokia.c.../handsets/E72/ - linked of the Nokia press pages.

Thinking about it the fixed orientation would cause trouble in some games, but last night I made the assumption based on source above and E75 N-Gage support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
I have to say I'm very impressed, I love my e71 and this just improves on it in everyway. Haven't been too impressed with Nokia of late but this is definitely my new phone. Though I am still thinking about the processor, will it really still be running at 369mhz? is that enough power?
Could be 500 Mhz too... However as I keep saying processor speeds really do not mean all that much. The E72 will be significantly quicker than the E71 thanks to FP2 - you'll get a bigger performance boost from that than any CPU change.

Old 15-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
OK thanks noted. For reference Soical Media Press release is here http://private.conversations.nokia.c.../handsets/E72/ - linked of the Nokia press pages.

Thinking about it the fixed orientation would cause trouble in some games, but last night I made the assumption based on source above and E75 N-Gage support.

Could be 500 Mhz too... However as I keep saying processor speeds really do not mean all that much. The E72 will be significantly quicker than the E71 thanks to FP2 - you'll get a bigger performance boost from that than any CPU change.
Now if they'd stick the hardware of the N82/N95 inside - or OMAP3, but OMAP3 might be a lil too large for the E72's sleek profile. The OMAP2 however, should be small enough. Or it might be the other way round, which would doubtlessly excite many.

Old 15-06-2009, 12:16 PM

andyspiers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1) Does this mean Steve and all of us can finally use Ctrl C and Ctrl V to copy and paste?
Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V already work in most editing applications I think - at least they always work when I need them.

You don't have to press 3-keys at once either: press shift, then ctrl/chr, then C

Ctrl+anything else also seems to work too: I often use Ctrl-A and Ctrl-D in putty (ssh client)

HTH

Old 15-06-2009, 02:03 PM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazutoyo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Probably not, only Windows use the CTRL C and CTRL V shortcuts. It won't work on Macs or other OSes as far as I know.
Think again. They (and other "common" Ctrl key shortcuts, like Ctrl-A) work fine on the E90, and have done for years.

I think you'll find that (give or take subsitutions for the Ctrl key itself) they work on other OSes too.

Julie

Old 15-06-2009, 02:50 PM
registered

Hey why nobody is thinking of screen resolution.do you think that qvga is pardonable in end of 2009.ah nokia should have crammed up at least 320 480 resolution.but i think that s60 softwares are developed considering qvga resolution so they might not work then.anyways further comments welcome
Ads

Old 15-06-2009, 07:45 PM
chippysteve

15fps

15fps Video. What's that all about? Clearly a low end imaging device so again, i'm stuck my N82. Stuck. There's no way out I tell you.

Chippy

Old 15-06-2009, 08:37 PM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
Its a shame that the video is only 15fps. Are Nokia so afraid of putting all the good features in one phone? Does anybody know whether its got a decent mp3 playback quality (like the 5800) unlike the E71