All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Talvi is on a distinguished road
Any suggestions for replacement of Notes app?

I'm despairing over the Notes app on my N97-mini and looking for something that can transfer standard/open format files (not a database) onto a laptop for instance, for editing in other software later.

But apart from Ovi (which anyway seems barren) where to look and how to avoid downloading dogy apps, spyware and viruses etc??? I've looked over Softonic, Mobihand Store, and tried Softpedia but haven't found anything that fits the bill yet.

I understand that Active Notes doesn't work on the N97-Mini but that it does on the N97. Why don't all S60 v5 apps work on all S60 v5 devices??

I want to be able to write anything from a haiku to a book from a journal to a lecture plan. Simple markup, bold/underline/etc, would be good but not essential. The main thing is to be able transfer what I write to my laptop, easily, without being tied into Outlook or Ovi Suite etc, and to be able to organise what I write there as I wish in other programmes. I don't want Office or similar as for me formatting is a distraction. I prefer to do it later.

Any experiences, or advice from anyone here who writes a lot would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 28-01-2011, 10:45 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile DEdit

Try DEdit from Juriy Bakunin . Use version Symbian 9 ( = S60 ) 125Kb DEdit 0.76 R12 . I am a happy user for several years , however on a E90 .
http://jbak.ru/dedit_en.php

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 28-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
Try DEdit from Juriy Bakunin . Use version Symbian 9 ( = S60 ) 125Kb DEdit 0.76 R12 . I am a happy user for several years , however on a E90 .
http://jbak.ru/dedit_en.php

Regards jApi NL
Thanks jApi NL It looks good (though what's the advanatage of a different instance of the program for every file?) I aaume the transfer side of things is easily done? A lot of the Notes programs I've found seem to rely on email?!

You use it on the E90 but you say that the Symbian 9 0.76 R12 is the version I need that corresponds to S60 v.5. Do I understand right ?? I wnet to look at the forum but it's all in Russian, even the English version

I find the numbering system for Symbian / S60 /Symbian^ an impenetrable Gordian Knot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S60_%28...ported_devices. The closest I can get is that S60v5 ("S" was short for Symbian?) is Symbian 9.4 and also now called Sybian^1

Old 28-01-2011, 04:49 PM

.. the task manager: Jbak Taskman looks brilliant too!!

How do I check screen etc apps for viruses?

Old 29-01-2011, 02:04 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Just Install

I use both happily , DEdit and JBakTaskman for over two years . There is nothing wrong with them .
Juriy is a longtime Russian Symbian Developer .

Symbian is in a transition period . The naming is very confusing indeed , e.g. Symbian ^1 = S60 version 5 = Symbian 9.4
S60 version 3 = Symbian 9.2 , etc

Regards jApi NL

Old 29-01-2011, 02:27 PM

LoL ok and thanks I will download today.

... here you have the whole issue really. On another forum: NokiaUsers this same thread has become bogged down in "never download Russian stuff" and "there's no such thing as a virus for handhelds". The whole signing security thing is a mess and Nokia are instrumental in creating it. They're a bright business minded lot. So what commercial logic lies behind them doing it? It makes sense, but I'm damned if I can see what that is.

Old 29-01-2011, 03:10 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Use X-plore from Lonely Cat Games (a reputable mobile program developer).

I was looking for a way to write my own HTML code with embedded ASP scripting in it and found that with the N97 File Manager you cannot rename the extension of files (say from .txt to .html) and with Quickoffice document editor you can't save/rename file extensions either.

X-plore has a fair editor and is convenient for renaming files.

FYI...I'm developing my own information aps for the N97 which are like small embedded websites (linked HTML pages and graphics). Using the built-in browser they run quite fast and you have more control over the content display than with Notes, Quickoffice, Adobe PDF LE, etc.

Old 29-01-2011, 03:23 PM

LoL I'll take a look, thanks, but .... it would go against your other 5 point advice on "my" Virus apps etc thread here

Sounds like X-plore is a bit like the text editor I use on my PC - Crimson Editor now maybe Emerald Editor or something. Not sure if you can get a copy anymore.

The HTML linking sounds interesting

Last edited by Talvi; 07-02-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: too long!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
I use both happily , DEdit and JBakTaskman for over two years .
Hiya

Finally got around to installing it ... but first ot failed because the certificate had expired and then after resetting the date on my Mini it failed because it was incompatible

Any other pssibilities?

Last edited by Talvi; 10-02-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Old 19-02-2011, 05:47 PM

LightNotepad seems to do the job.