All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-11-2009, 12:30 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow and find out what's what.

What's this about free songs?
Called Nokia Care UK this morning, waiting for a call back regarding stock-availability of replacement GPS antenna parts. Will let you all know the outcome.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Thats a shame! My NCC is an 80 miles round trip, so I would be better off sending the handset in to Nokia Repair Centre - once I hear the GPS antennae shortage is resolved.

Let us know how you get on...

I've got a feeling it's not actually a Nokia Centre as I can't find it on the Nokia Web site. It's a Carpone Warehouse branch......

The Wife is taking the phone in this lunch time so I'm waiting for feedback as to what they say.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Called Nokia Care UK this morning, waiting for a call back regarding stock-availability of replacement GPS antenna parts. Will let you all know the outcome.
Nokia care did not (read could not be botherered to...?) call me back.

Instead, I phoned my local (Edinburgh) NCC and was told although they had no lens cover replacement parts available, they had plenty of 'N97 GPS shields' in stock and that the repair could be done the same day if they had the handset no later than 2pm. I drove up (80 mile round trip) yesterday afternoon and now have vastly improved GPS recepion. See before and after GPS Status screens from GarminXT (n.b. I mocked-up the before image, as I didn't take a snapshot prior to the repair, but it accurately shows the magnitude of GPS signal improvement you can expect after the N97 GPS repair).

I also noticed that the Location app shows GPS location accuracy as averaging better than 20m instead of varying wildly from 20m to 200m.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Faulty.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	4695   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Repaired.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	4696  

Last edited by dez_borders; 12-11-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Old 13-11-2009, 09:07 AM

bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Took my N97 into the Nottingham UK branch of carphone warehouse who are my local service centre yesterday.
Explained that I had the problem with the GPS dropping its signal and that Nokia had released a new back plate with extra shielding to sort the problem.
" thats a new one on me " he says " I'll check with our sevice technician " 5 mins later " Our service technician hasn't heard of any problems with the GPS or of any replacement parts " " leave it with us and we'll see what we can do " " I'll log it in as a software fault ".
Have I any faith in getting it sorted - no not really.

Old 18-11-2009, 03:52 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
free songs - Wow its all been worth it just for that!!

Quote:
I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow and find out what's what.

What's this about free songs?
My Nokia care point phoned me to let me know that my phone would still be a while before it is repaired and offered 5 free songs on from Nokia Music.

Whhooooaaaaa

Anyway still waiting for mine to come back! Had an email on the 13/11/09 saying according to the system its repaired and due to be delivered to my door.

Obviously not a next day service!!!!

My whole N97 experience has been soured by the GPS and Camera issues and this parts crisis and returns fiasco is just making me think dont buy Nokia again!

Is the iphone 3Gs beset by all these type of problems? My friends one seems to work really well - unfortunately!!

Old 18-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Took my N97 into the Nottingham UK branch of carphone warehouse who are my local service centre yesterday.
Explained that I had the problem with the GPS dropping its signal and that Nokia had released a new back plate with extra shielding to sort the problem.
" thats a new one on me " he says " I'll check with our sevice technician " 5 mins later " Our service technician hasn't heard of any problems with the GPS or of any replacement parts " " leave it with us and we'll see what we can do " " I'll log it in as a software fault ".
Have I any faith in getting it sorted - no not really.
The Service technician is basically talking Bllx - The Nokia Care Point in Luton that i dropped mine into said that there was a Nokia Service Bulletin for the GPS and Lens scratching issues

Hope that helps - sorry i dont know the Tech Bulletin numbers - try phoning a Nokia Care Point and ask them for them if CPW persist in being stupid!!!

Old 19-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower View Post
Is the iphone 3Gs beset by all these type of problems? My friends one seems to work really well - unfortunately!!
My friend's iPhone 3GS has terrible receiption issues, compared to his previous mob on same network.

Old 19-11-2009, 02:52 PM

bobthebuilder

I had a look at the Repair Case receipt given to me and this is what they have entered in the comments section word for word

"ref : sb.-17 camera lens scratch. sb-019 gps issue"

hope this helps

Old 20-11-2009, 10:29 AM

bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower View Post
bobthebuilder

I had a look at the Repair Case receipt given to me and this is what they have entered in the comments section word for word

"ref : sb.-17 camera lens scratch. sb-019 gps issue"

hope this helps
Thanks TurtlePower I'll quote that to them if it comes back without a new back plate.

Old 25-11-2009, 12:36 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Just a quick update. I just called my local (14 Mi away) Nokia Care Point and they still haven't got the parts in yet. They're still waiting for Nokia and couldn't tell me how long it'd be. Apparently they're coming from Germany (???).

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 25-11-2009, 01:52 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just a quick update. I just called my local (14 Mi away) Nokia Care Point and they still haven't got the parts in yet. They're still waiting for Nokia and couldn't tell me how long it'd be. Apparently they're coming from Germany (???).
Germany makes sense for the Carl Zeiss stuff - thats where they live.

Makes less sense for the GPS stuff.

Regards
Neil

Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM

Another quick update, people!

I got a call from my local Nokia Care Point, about half an hour ago, confirming that the parts have now arrived!

I'm heading down on Saturday to get them fitted. They said it should only take a couple of hours as well, but advised that I back up my phone in case they need to wipe it (not sure why they'd need to do that, but very well).

Tonight, for those who want to see the improvements (if any), I'll take a screenshot of my GPS accuracy in the Location app, and then I'll do the same on Saturday when I've got the GPS shielding installed.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 02-12-2009, 04:16 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Where abouts in the country are you? I'm waiting for my local care point to phone me back regarding these parts.

I have every intention of backing the phone up before taking it down there. Once its in the hands of engineers you have no idea what they may do to it.

Regards
Neil

Old 02-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbriscoeuk View Post
Where abouts in the country are you? I'm waiting for my local care point to phone me back regarding these parts.
I'm in the High Peak, which is in Derbyshire, but the closest Care Point is in Stockport near Manchester.

I've been waiting 6 weeks for these parts to come in. I don't know how long you've been waiting though.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
I phoned Nokia to see if I could speak to that Anovo place so I could send the phone in at an opportune moment. They couldn't do that and they didn't know how long the repair would take!
Ads