All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Nokia officially announces E51

Nokia today officially unveiled the E51 smartphone. It should be available in the last quarter of 2007, with an estimated retail price of 350 euros (it's unclear whether this includes taxes or not). More info very soon.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-09-2007, 02:02 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
To Steve's "why, why, why" question: feeling of security has nothing to do with the actual level of threat (allegory: threat of terrorism is worth sacrificing civil liberties to), and a single security breach can, no matter how unlikely, be devastating. Hence, including Virus Protection is basically just a marketing move from Nokia, albeit them thus giving in to the argument that a security breach is possible in the first place.

Very, VERY, impressive! Thinnest S60 ever. Incredible feature list for the size, and looks great, and as far as one can tell from the pics, the keypad looks quite ergonomic.

The new home key is much more intuitive, and I would think its worth trying in other/all S60s going forward. The symbian swirl must be a mystery key for anyone not used to the S60.

Old 18-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
>> feeling of security has nothing to do with the actual level of threat, and a single security breach can, no matter how unlikely, be devastating. Hence, including Virus Protection is basically just a marketing move from Nokia, albeit them thus giving in to the argument that a security breach is possible in the first place.

Exactly. By even acknowledging such software (let alone bundling it - shudder) they make people think that Symbian OS 9 isn't secure after all. Which it is. Go figure. Rest assured I'll be wading into the Anti-virus firms' stalls at the London Smartphone Show with some (ahem) probing questions. Anyone want to buy tickets to see the scrap?

Old 18-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Its amazing what they've managed to squeeze into such a small package. It also shows you can create a device attractive to the corporate customer without making it a QWERTY type device.

Old 18-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

I hope that price really does include tax (they just say "retail price", no mention of any taxes) because if it does this is a very very low price for what is a high end smartphone. The camera's only 2mp and there's no built-in GPS, but the rest of the phone is pretty much everything you could ask for on an S60 right now, and on top of all that it's the smallest S60 so far.

It's such a shame this is being marketed as a business phone, it would do really well as an Nseries or numbered model in the mainstream market, but then I suppose that's what the 6120 is for (and that IS doing really well by all accounts).

On the virus thing, I think having "protection" software may be partly a psychological thing for extreme newbies. I know people who blame a virus every time something goes wrong on their PC, even though it has no internet connection and they never install any software. Even on this site's forums you see people accusing viruses when their phone doesn't work properly.

This isn't anything unique to Symbian or even computing, there's entire industries worth billions built on scaring people into buying pointless and useless medicines, food supplements, weapons, survivalist paraphernalia etc etc. There's not much you can do about it without taking away people's freedom to live their own life, and as most smartphones have open software platforms it was inevitable that eventually we would see third party anti-virus security apps springing up left right and centre, with marketing departments lying to people about how vulnerable their phone is.

Old 18-09-2007, 04:04 PM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
Looks set to be a great addition to the E-Series line-up and Nokia S60 phones in general.However you did mention that the E51 uses a miniSD connection but according to the Nokia site its a microUSB connection,a real bummer.But impressive size and should be a compelling WiFi S60 phone,given its price...

Old 18-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

"However you did mention that the E51 uses a miniSD connection but according to the Nokia site its a microUSB connection,a real bummer.But impressive size and should be a compelling WiFi S60 phone,given its price..."

The official Nokia For Business site lists it as having a miniUSB connection:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4546299 (look under connectivity in tech specs)

The official Nokia consumer website lists it as having a microUSB connection:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4546209

Crazy, isn't it?

However, there's a photo of the bottom of the phone on the consumer E51 page, and it shows what appears to be a miniUSB (not microUSB) connector, so I'm going to believe the Nokia For Business site for the moment.

Old 18-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Unregistered

It's definately miniUSB.Look its connectivity cable-the model is DKE-2,which is compatible with phones like N95,E90,6290,6110,5200,5300 and so on.

Old 18-09-2007, 05:51 PM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
According to the pdf file on the E51 consumer site,it definitely is a miniUSB connection,which is good news.Also mention is the battery is the BP-6MT rated at 1050mAh.No news yet on what processor and free RAM is available.Also up to what resolution can it record videos,probably QVGA like many other S60 V3 FP1 phones...

Old 18-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

Not sure of the battery

So the specs as to the battery is also contradicting. Will it be BL-4L with 1500 mAh or BP-6MT with 1070 mAh. Both Nokia for Business and Nokia Europe show that it will be BP-6MT, but on the other hand, when you press on "See Nokia 51 in action" on Nokia Europe's website and "View Detail" on Nokia for Business' website, they pop up a visual presentation of the device, and when you press on the "large memory and long battery life", you will see with your eyes that battery is in fact BL-4L! It also gives the information that the talk time will be up to 5 hours. Whereas the specifications in the afore-mentioned websites show it as 4.4 hours. If it will be really BL-4L, this will be a WONDERFUL business device. (It will be still OK with the other battery) That visual presentation may be a computer trick, as I seriosuly doubt how BL-4L can fit in it...

BTW, as humanbeings we will always want more right? I wish this device had 3,5 mm stereo jack along with TV out put, because the screen of this device is a bit smaller than other E series devices, it would be very convenient to connect it to a TV and work on your office documents along with a bluetooth keyboard. Nokia should consider that TV output can be used for business purposes. It is not solely for connecting devices like N95 to play games etc.

Anywyz...all in all, great device! Big (and a bit surprising) step from Nokia for me!

Old 18-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

"BTW, as humanbeings we will always want more right? I wish this device had 3,5 mm stereo jack along with TV out put"

I'd love to see TV Output on all portable devices, but this requires a relatively expensive graphics chip (it's the same chip that does the 3D graphics acceleration apparently).

But I bet in two years time all S60 smartphones will have TV Out.

3.5mm jack would be nice too, but that might add to the bulk and the major selling point of this phone is the small size.
Ads

Old 18-09-2007, 08:45 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Great phone... an 6120 with Wi-Fi and a fair price.

Old 19-09-2007, 02:27 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
PBX integration

Where can I find info on this PBX integration thingy?

Old 19-09-2007, 04:46 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Nice little beast however, the design reminds me of 2650 (was this the name?) but it's pretty attractive.

Old 19-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Unregistered

My new fav. question after the N95. How much ram has it got ?

Zuber