All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
N80 + Internet edition F/W + Sipgate working!

Hello,
Did the F/w update to N80 Internet Edition update today. Registed a free SIP account with sipgate. woohoo.. I can now finally send/recieve sip calls on my N80, as well as recieve/make calls to regular phones.

The process was pretty simple, following the setup process on the sipgate website for the E71 phone.

Anand

Old 24-03-2007, 12:39 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
Works for me too using the official IE firmware

Weird thing though is the test number 10000 plays a message in German instead of English. I know sipgate is German (or I think it is), but when I use it on my VoIP router at home I get an English message I think. Realm and proxy server are set to sipgate.co.uk.

Old 25-03-2007, 02:30 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
Yeah, one of the "hidden" settings is the one that determines how your Sipgate is localised. Whether this extra distance in the routing affects your call quality or not I don't know (especially as I can't use Sipgate over WLAN with my router :( )

Old 25-03-2007, 06:15 PM

skyking_comms is on a distinguished road
I have tried the 10000 from my N80 and its German and using my home router its German.
Ive tried calling a friends sipgate number from my N80 and I get a tone like its engaged, then they pick it up and we cant hear each other. Its fine using my home router/voip. When calling their landline number from my N80 (as I still have free mins with sipgate) I get through fine.
Any ideas?

My home set up is - telewest modem, Belkin wireless router with a Netgear TA612V voip router behind the belkin. The netgear is set up as DMZ of the belkin.

Cheers

Old 26-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking_comms View Post
I have tried the 10000 from my N80 and its German and using my home router its German.
Ive tried calling a friends sipgate number from my N80 and I get a tone like its engaged, then they pick it up and we cant hear each other. Its fine using my home router/voip. When calling their landline number from my N80 (as I still have free mins with sipgate) I get through fine.
Any ideas?

My home set up is - telewest modem, Belkin wireless router with a Netgear TA612V voip router behind the belkin. The netgear is set up as DMZ of the belkin.

Cheers
This almost sounds for sure like a router/firewall issue...
Ensure that the appropriate ports are forwarded on the Netgear router and that the DMZ is working properly.
Nokia have locked out the STUN settings for VoIP, meaning that it makes it difficult for the phone behind a router/firewall to establish a good connection.
Nokia do have something called OMA provisioning for the STUN settings, but it's not something that the average person at home can easily do.

My N80ie works fine behind my netgear router at home (with sipgate). But at work it won't even connect (the Sipgate softphone WILL). The reason for this is STUN.
Ads

Old 26-03-2007, 02:10 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
This almost sounds for sure like a router/firewall issue...
Ensure that the appropriate ports are forwarded on the Netgear router and that the DMZ is working properly.
Nokia have locked out the STUN settings for VoIP, meaning that it makes it difficult for the phone behind a router/firewall to establish a good connection.
Nokia do have something called OMA provisioning for the STUN settings, but it's not something that the average person at home can easily do.

My N80ie works fine behind my netgear router at home (with sipgate). But at work it won't even connect (the Sipgate softphone WILL). The reason for this is STUN.
In fairness Nokia hasn't actually locked them out, they've just not added the options to the user interface. You can infact configure STUN and other NAT traversal settings on an N80, we just don't have the SDK yet to do it. I'm semi sympathetic to Nokia wanting to cut down on User Interface clutter, but an advanced tab somewhere with these options surely couldn't have been that hard to include?

Also STUN isn't really to do with the quality of the signal you get, it's more to do with the actual packets being able to find your device when it's hidden behind layers of routers. Hence the reason I can't actually use VOIP on my own router (I can use it with the routers for a couple of local bars tho... well that's my excuse at least )