All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 PM

adrian87camaro is on a distinguished road
Traveling To the UK!!

Next month I will be traveling to the UK and had some questions about my phone. I will be in Oswestry, Manchester, and Newcastle upon Tyne. Obviously I want to be able to update my Facebook, text, and use my GPS. I have a N95 8GB NAM. To my understanding I should still get EDGE in Britain, correct? I live in California and have AT&T as my carrier. I plan to go to the AT&T store and see about an international plan, what should I ask them specifically about? Also, in regards to charging, can I just use a UK charger on my NAM N95? Or should I just get an adapter? Thanks!!
Ads

Old 22-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Burcrim is on a distinguished road
Yes you will get EDGE.

Depending on how long you are in UK you could consider getting a UK sim card or updating your AT&T account to include one of the international plans. The World Traveler one is only $6 and gives your cheaper calls/texts.

Old 23-07-2010, 12:56 AM

adrian87camaro is on a distinguished road
I went to the AT&T store and they told me the only plan available was one that would give me a percentage off my roaming charges. This equates to a small fortune I would have to spend for service over there. I plan to visit the nearest Orange shop there and pick up a pay-as-you-go or monthly SIM card. I am sort if upset about the data caps; I plan on using GPS and Facebook heavily and am going to hate watching my usage. How common are free WiFi spots in the UK, specifically Manchester and Newcastle?

Old 23-07-2010, 05:19 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Look at www.giffgaff.com as well. Very cheap sim only deals with unlimited internet. WiFI is quite comon here now. Places like Starbucks and Micky D's, along with bars, offer free WiFi.

You should look at installing Skype, Fring for cheap, free calls to/from the US.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:07 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian87camaro View Post
I went to the AT&T store and they told me the only plan available was one that would give me a percentage off my roaming charges. This equates to a small fortune I would have to spend for service over there. I plan to visit the nearest Orange shop there and pick up a pay-as-you-go or monthly SIM card. I am sort if upset about the data caps; I plan on using GPS and Facebook heavily and am going to hate watching my usage. How common are free WiFi spots in the UK, specifically Manchester and Newcastle?
I live in Newcastle and I can't say there are that many free wifi hotspots. Most I've come across are The Cloud or BT hotspots, which require a paid subscription to access. What are you coming to see in Newcastle?

Old 25-07-2010, 08:12 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Download Nokia Maps UK

To avoid data transfer for maps , have the UK maps installed on the massmemory ...

Regards jApi NL