All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ovi Suite 2.1.1.1 update

Ovi Suite, Nokia's new all-singing all-dancing Windows desktop magnum opus, has just had an important update, to v2.1.1(.1, if you're counting builds), with 'critical fixes' for synchronisation and device software updates, especially under Windows 7. Fire up Ovi Suite, if you have it installed, and click on 'Check for updates' on the main menu.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Unregistered

Downloading - hope it works with N900 now!

Old 13-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Unregistered

Or, better yet, do yourself a favour and click Uninstall The install file has 94 MB!!!

Old 13-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
I don't care how big it is, but at least on my system it seems like they put in some serious improvements. runs much smoother and finally finally finally music sync with my library seems to work.

Slowly ovi suite is turning into something useful...

Old 13-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Good work

Its better now.

This software comes in harmony with any software and hardware product from the last 3 years (after the launch of iPhone) and they all
1. Lack very important functionality just to make it easier for dump people.
2. Flashy, supposed to say WAW when i see it and who cares if its not customizable & basic!.

I say that because the last time i updated my device firmware Ovi suite refused to install it after downloading while NSU updated it smoothly. Hope Nokia can make Ovi suite better and with PIM functionality.

Old 13-03-2010, 08:47 PM

Melmotion is on a distinguished road
Smile Works well with N95 8gb.

I installed Ovi suite and downloaded software updates for my N95. Everything worked flawlessly in one window. PC suite had issues before and Ovi is a great improvement long overdue. Upgrade to maps 3.0 took a few minutes as well. I was hoping voice guided nav will be free but no such luck.

Last edited by Melmotion; 13-03-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Old 14-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

Terrible... Horrible... worse before

Before yesterday, I upgraded of OVI Suite to 2.1.1.1, and with a lot of hope, I tried one more time use it. Then I did all configuration to make the contacts synch. I'm so angry, so annoyed, so... One more time I lost a lot of information of my contacts in all bases, ovi.com, Microsoft Outlook and Phone. I lost addresses, e-mail accounts, phone numbers and I had some contacts duplicated. What do you suppose that I have to do? Sue Ovi Suite's team for my lost and they incompetence? This "OVI Suite" Will never be a useable. How I am sorry now!

Old 14-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Before yesterday, I upgraded of OVI Suite to 2.1.1.1, and with a lot of hope, I tried one more time use it. Then I did all configuration to make the contacts synch. I'm so angry, so annoyed, so... One more time I lost a lot of information of my contacts in all bases, ovi.com, Microsoft Outlook and Phone. I lost addresses, e-mail accounts, phone numbers and I had some contacts duplicated. What do you suppose that I have to do? Sue Ovi Suite's team for my lost and they incompetence? This "OVI Suite" Will never be a useable. How I am sorry now!
Sorry for your loss and there's not much you can do now. However, for the future, Outlook and PC Site make it easy to recover from such disasters if you plan ahead. Before doing anything, export your Outlook data as a PS file (File menu, Import/export, or just copy your Outlook.pst file to a temp folder.

If you have an all-points disaster, delete all your data in Outlook, and import the backup file. Then Sync with PC Suite setting it for one sync to erase all phone data and copy over the Outlook data to the phone. Don't forget to change the sync settings back to normal when you are done. Quick and easy, you are back to where you were before you began.

I never touch anything OVI without doing this first.

Old 14-03-2010, 07:40 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
The synchronization in PC suite was great. So why they cant reuse the codes in Ovi? and if its in Qt and Qt is new and they need to write it from scratch why its difficult for them when they bought,organize and distribute Qt? I know Ovi team is not the same as Qt team but they can collaborate with Qt team better than 3rd party developers and other companies.
As a Nokia die hard fan am still using PC suite and hope Ovi suite will get better.

Old 14-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Unregistered

Missing Data

I've used Ovi Suite off and on since the beta version was available. The software compared to the rock solid Nokia PC Suite leaves much to be desired. The case of constantly missing data with every sync is just not acceptable. When will this software ever work properly? There is still no view of calendar and notes. The entire thing is resource hungry. I'll still keep this at arms length. PC Suite will continues to be my day to day mode of syncing my device.