All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ovi Suite 2.0 graduates

You've got to hope that today marks the point at which Nokia started to leave the whole sorry mess of its PC connectivity experiments behind it and moved forward with confidence. Ovi Suite 2.0 is now 'graduated' (from Beta Labs) and will start to be included in phone retail boxes. Here's the full report on Nokia's plans, and don't forget to grab your own copy (.exe link). Does Ovi Suite 2.0 now complete replace what you had before? Comments welcome.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-10-2009, 07:51 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
it really isnt nice to use at all. takes forever to start up, confusing as heck to navigate.

i dont want to see my music in the first screen, i rather have my calendar there.

doesnt allow me to choose which outlook account/pst to sync with either.

ugh!

Old 13-10-2009, 08:25 AM

j d is on a distinguished road
still beta quality

If my experience is at all representative, this software is nowhere near ready to come out of beta.

Frankly, it's still so buggy and slow that it's a stretch even to call it a beta. It should be called alpha!

Old 13-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Don't see any reason to use this when PC Suite works so much better.

Old 13-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Reda EK is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

oh my God...I don't know what it takes to "regroup and attach" more effectively the competition. A miracle?
I agree with J D, this is beta quality (installed it for the 3rd time after 2 betas and already uninstalled)! But besides the quality of the sw which is quite evident, everything that comes out of beta must fit into the overall SW proposition and the only word i can think of now looking at the current SW portfolio is chaos! Nokia Photos, Pc suite, music, maps... what is staying? What is going to be phased out? What to use and for what purpose? it looks like the S60 menu when a new icon pops out in a new release, structure gets really complicated and the old icons are never removed...result: again chaos...

This SW should have matched 80% of the features of the other existing Nokia SW but it's barely offering 20%...what is the point of delivering this SW out of beta if there isn't any real need (besides the nice icons and layout)?

really depressing news

Old 13-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Why does a software whose sole job is to sync a phone have to be so overwhelming for a PC? Sadly it doesn't even sync properly.

I have just one piece of advise for Nokia, Scrap this app, take the regular PC suite and add extra features to it.

Old 13-10-2009, 11:34 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Just a heads up firstly to say, this is not the FIRST for Ovi Suite being the boxed edition released with phones in future.

My Nokia N86 came with a BETA version of Ovi Suite as the only PC Communications Software for my device and computer.

And it was necessary to use this, bad as it was, in order to install the WTP Media Protocol drivers, for my device, as even the newest downloadable version of "PC Suite" didn't seem to have them, for the N86.

But worse, also to flag up, as has been said, that having previously fully tested the previous Beta path releases of Ovi Suite, it has to be the buggiest, most unstable version of any Beta test software I have ever ran.

This is not just "easy talk", I actually took the time and effort, to report all of these to Nokia as part of the Beta Feedback Program.

And even the most recent (prior to this full official release) version of Ovi Suite, was still riddled with bugs, issues, freezes, and glitches.

So if this really is "Consumer Ready" now, methinks they've done an awful awful lot of fixing and re-writing.

And I can't somehow see it myself, so quick.

But I'll install it this afternoon (if it lets me - that alone was one of the key issues with the prior build, couldn't over-install, but wouldn't let me CLEAN install either, so only fix was a registry clean, and then an over-install, as it still wouldn't let me clean install).

And then report back on if this is any better...

Old 13-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Bloated, slow and piece of crap indeed.

I feel so sorry. :(

Old 13-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

> Bloated, slow and piece of crap indeed.

Did I read somewhere that it's using Microsoft .NET as the underlying platform?

That would absolutely explain everything (performance wise at least)

Old 13-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
A bloated piece of crap. Uninstall !
Ads

Old 13-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Haaaaaaaa...

How funny, and how right was I higher up...?

"The older version of your Application cannot be removed. Please contact your Support Service" or words similar.

Ha. I can't even INSTALL the new version over my old, and I am nearly sure, as mentioned earlier, that I can't properly remove my old version of Ovi Suite.

Groan.

Here we go again...
---
EDIT to add:

Sure enough:

"Installation Operation Failed (I was trying a REMOVE)

The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

So, I cannot OVER-install the new official version.

But I can't REMOVE the older Beta either.

Way to go, Nokia. Loving this comedy sketch that is Ovi Suite...

Last edited by shadamehr; 13-10-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: ADDING info above

Old 13-10-2009, 02:05 PM

Reda EK is on a distinguished road
no, it is using qt...on my machine does not feel that bloated but it's the 2 errors messages i had within 5 minutes after the installation (+1 during installation) that are disappointing for a non-beta product.

ok, without bashing too much Nokia and trying to make some constructive criticism, there are some things which are pretty objectionable in this suite. The home page for example is pretty useless from my point of view. What is the point of having a "carousel" of my contacts and messages? Am i going to watch it all day long? of course not, i know already which contacts i have in my phonebook... what is the point actually of the home screen? Why not use it for something else? E.g. Nokia News, update on products. Alternative, just load one of the tabs such as messages, apps or music pages where you can have new fresh content every day...

ok, need to do my work now ;-)

Old 13-10-2009, 02:20 PM

FINALLY managed to get the new version OVER-installed, after some Registry deleting.

So the first thing I set about doing, was checking that my Phone-Desktop Communication Support was up to date.

So ran the Ovi Suite tool to check for this, and got a message saying:

"Checking phone Software"

And as of starting to type this, five minutes ago, it was STILL checking.

Reaching this line now though, I EVENTUALLY see it has finished what should be such a simple task, and has finally elected to tell me I am up to date.

If it takes FIVE MINUTES just to check if I have the latest MMS Sync/Comms Support on the phone, that bodes poorly indeed for speed of overall product...

Especially as once it was finished, I went inot the Contacts section and got:

"Reading the device failed, please reconnect the cable blah blah blah"

Looks good so far.

NOT.

Old 13-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Open message I have sent to the Ovi Suite Team:

Dear Ovi Suite,

I am not against change per se, as progress is important.

But I think it wholly wrong to replace one Application Suite with another, if the newer one does not do ALL the things the previous one did first

And I have spotted what appears to be a major functionality flaw in Ovi Suite, when compared with PC Suite, unless you can guide me different.

You see, in PC Suite, and indeed on my phone, all my Contacts have a NOTE field filled in, and in there I simply enter the text, for the name of the corresponding Caller Group I wish the Contact to belong to.

So for example, I have many of my contacts on my phone, with the text "Door Supervision" written in the Notes field, and many more with the text "Newcastle United" written in (my second employer).

There is a very important and useful reason why I do this you see.

Whenever I purchase a new phone handset, I can simply either use the backup tool, or a PC Suite based backup, of my Contacts data, to get all my names and numbers over to my new phone.

However, depending on the model of the new phone etc, quite often this backup and copy over to the new phone, will NOT however, restore the Caller Groups data, which is a fundamental and large element of my Contacts data.

By using the system I do, and having the name of the Caller Group each contact belongs to stored in the Notes Field, I can use PC Suite to easily fix this after a restore to a new phone.

You see, I simply load up Pc Suite, and go to the Contacts Editor.

I then enable the display of the "Notes" field in it, and then click this field to sort all my Contacts by the data contained in the Notes field.

Then I can easily highlight them in a block, all those with the words "Door Supervision" in the notes field, and then easily right click and add them to a Group with this name - and so on...

Alas, as Ovi Suite does not seem to have a column view for Contacts, and nor can you SEARCH on the Notes Field, there appears no way to carry out this function, or indeed do any such data organising of contacts, in the lesser, more basic Ovi Suite

So can you please advise where I am going wrong.

Or am I completely correct - you've LOST this facility in Ovi Suite, the new "Improved" replacement for PC Suite...?

Old 13-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Talking

No Apple Mac version. What is it with Nokia and Apple Mac's ? Do they think Nokia phones are only bought by people with PC's ? Rant over, for now