All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM

thegladsatsuma is on a distinguished road
corrupt text messages on Nokia N95 O2

I keep receiving corrupt text messages from various friends and family. They show up in my inbox as a question mark inside a circle instead of the usual envelope icon. I've been getting these almost every day every since I got the phone about 4 weeks ago. I've got a new 3G SIM in the phone from the day I got the phone, but as I don't intend to make video calls I've got the phone on GSM only to save on battery.
I'm getting fed up (and I suppose my friends are too when I text them back telling them my phone won't let me read their message) of it, do I need to take it to the O2 shop and let them have a look?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 PM

rolan73d is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladsatsuma View Post
I keep receiving corrupt text messages from various friends and family. They show up in my inbox as a question mark inside a circle instead of the usual envelope icon. I've been getting these almost every day every since I got the phone about 4 weeks ago. I've got a new 3G SIM in the phone from the day I got the phone, but as I don't intend to make video calls I've got the phone on GSM only to save on battery.
I'm getting fed up (and I suppose my friends are too when I text them back telling them my phone won't let me read their message) of it, do I need to take it to the O2 shop and let them have a look?
happend 2 me as well...
Sometimes friends use signs like: ;.) or :-) and then it happens...

Since I uopgrade 2 V. 12.03 this pops up once in a while....

Indeed lame!
Ads

Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 PM

thegladsatsuma is on a distinguished road
I did wonder about that, if it was someone trying to send me an animation or something, will get my mom to send me an animation now and see if that's the problem.

Yes! it's the smileys, it's because of the smiley faces in the message. Right, will have to tell everyone not to send me messages with smilies in. grr!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
Is that because messages with (inserted?) smileys are being sent as EMS messages, which the N95 does not support? Obviously the presence of the ASCII 'colon followed by parenthesis' would be a very suspicious cause of a problem, but if people are inserting EMS codes then that's more likely.