All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 AM

l1nknp4rk is on a distinguished road
nokia tube question

does anyone think its worth it switching from the n95 8gb to the nokia tube? i read somewhere that it wont have a 3d graphics chip in it. anyone no if thats true? will it be able to run all the same apps since its an s60?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Really depends on how you use your N95.

Use the camera a lot?

Like third party apps?

The tube will not be able to run S60 V3 apps, not any that rely on keypresses anyway.

Also, do you prefer touchscreens?

Bear in mind theres more touchscreens coming from Nokia, including higher end ones. So very likely one with a better camera in.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM

fabbors is on a distinguished road
The nokia tube runs on s60 v5, so I don't think every app will run on it.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 AM

ya i have a lot of apps on mine and want a touchscreen phone that can run and has alot available as well... I was also thinking about the xperia, but dont no if there are many apps out there for it

Old 10-10-2008, 08:49 AM

adz07 is on a distinguished road
The Xperia is a Windows 6.1 device, so it has move available apps than any other platform I believe. But from what I understand, Windows Mobile devices are alot more business orientated than Symbian or the Iphone. Although I have never used a windows phone before so don't quote me on that!

I'd personally give it a year or so before buying a symbian touchscreen phone, give it time for developers to bring out new apps for it.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Do we know if Garmin or any other GPS nav will run on the Tube?

Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
In theory (ha!), everything S60 V3 will work, but obviously will not support touchscreen, and will be pretty much useless since you dont actually have many (3?) buttons to use.

I suspect there will be problem with the resolution used as well.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 PM

does windows mobile really have the most available apps for it? i try to search for some and good windows mobile forums like this one but cant really find anything....does anyone no of any good places?

Old 13-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Yeah theres loads of Windows Mobile communities out there. And to see some of the apps try Handango. 4WinMobile is a good windows mobile site too.

Old 17-10-2008, 03:38 AM

Dashwire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adz07 View Post
The Xperia is a Windows 6.1 device, so it has move available apps than any other platform I believe. But from what I understand, Windows Mobile devices are alot more business orientated than Symbian or the Iphone. Although I have never used a windows phone before so don't quote me on that!

I'd personally give it a year or so before buying a symbian touchscreen phone, give it time for developers to bring out new apps for it.
The xperia definitely is a lot different than a phone like the n95. The xperia offers many business oriented features but also some play ones like a media player, a nice camera, etc. It doesn't quite offer the same "play" factor that a n95 would have though. Although the xperias interface is extremely unique and unlike any other windows phone.

Symbian support is coming soon! Click here to be notified when its ready: http://dashwire.com/comingsoon

Are you using the latest mobile client? http://m.dashwire.com

Old 17-10-2008, 07:29 AM

if not the xperia than what other phone out there would you suggest? with capabilities close to the n95 but pretty cool looking and fun like the iphone

Old 17-10-2008, 07:42 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
after reading reviews on the xperia id stay well away from it speacially for the price of it mate

i like the n85 , n82 , n79 , all are going to be or are great devices

the n85 is probs going to be the best nokia out for a few months at least it will have much better battery life beause of the new screen (oled) add that with the much smaller/slimmer design of it compared to the n95 and the fm transmitter and you have a phone that can do nearly evrything out there you could want , grab a 16gb card for it and it would trounce most phones mate

the tube looks ok but as bart said if you like your pics very much id be cautios of the 3.2mp camera and again as abart said the apps will be scarce for a few months but they will start rolling out just like they did for the ipod and you can gurantee that the symbian developers will be gagging to design a touch interace killer game or app for it ;-)

Old 17-10-2008, 08:46 AM

I've heard good things about the HTC phones too, something like the HTC Touch Pro looks good, the HD comes out at the end of november too. The Omnia is also ment to be very media orientated, eg supports DivX playback and comes with up to 16gb built in memory. Again they're all windows based though.

I'll probably be going for something like the HTC Touch HD for my next phone.

Old 17-10-2008, 10:58 AM

fabbors is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adz07 View Post
I've heard good things about the HTC phones too, something like the HTC Touch Pro looks good, the HD comes out at the end of november too. .
I would definitely go for the HTC touch HD. It looks very cool and has got good specs. What remains is just to actually try it out. It's going to give the Iphone a good run for it's money
Ads

Old 18-10-2008, 11:56 PM

I read that the n85 is only gonna have 74mb of RAM, is that true? is it gonna be able to run resource consuming apps like ngage and gps and still have a few other apps open and be ok? Also, does anyone no if it has a 3d graphics accelerator? im thinking of trading in my n95 8gb for the n85 but i wanna be sure its better in almost every way