All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 06-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Aw crap, only 104? Battery must be shocking then! I lokoed for full specs, must have missed them. URL?
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 06-02-2003, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan-FreEPOC
Aw crap, only 104? Battery must be shocking then! I lokoed for full specs, must have missed them. URL?
forum.nokia.com/games

and click N-Gage Specs

Old 06-02-2003, 05:54 AM

jamella is on a distinguished road
i suppose this phone must be a feature-packed phone! though the design doesnt appear that much good to me. but then, im very eager to take a hold on this one! I wonder when are they going to launch this one in the market.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:28 AM

MirekCz is on a distinguished road
hmm, if you look at it, it's pretty much 3650 with nice keypad for games..

Old 06-02-2003, 10:17 AM

jplacson is on a distinguished road
Doesn't the 7650 run a 50mHz CPU? So doubling that would be about 100 or so. The 3650 has one more feature, the camera. The N-gage is a stripped down 3650 with a game-centered keypad. Nothing more. It shouldbe priced lower than the 3650, even with the 64MB card since MMC cards have been phased out already.

BTW, the N-gage is much larger than the 7650, and slightly wider than the 3650.

Regarding battery life... to use more power efficient chips would raise the cost of the 7650/3650 and N-gage... thus defeating the purpose of them being mass-market phones now wouldn't it? Besides, Nokia isn't against people buying spare batteries and chargers

Old 06-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by amor7
i suppose this phone must be a feature-packed phone! though the design doesnt appear that much good to me. but then, im very eager to take a hold on this one! I wonder when are they going to launch this one in the market.
Course it's feature packed - it's a Series 60 minus the camera but with the additon of an FM Radio. As to launch date, the N-Gage Nokia site has Quarter 4 2003 listed.

As to the design, it's obviously more GBA / Game Gear / Neo Geo Pocket than phone. I like it. Abnd of course it's designed for wireless games, not as an audio phone - that's just a handy by product!

Old 06-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
It's features are outstanding and it looks well sexy, however, The Register is rather unimpressed. I'm only hoping that Nokia will be listening to such criticisms as these and make some last minute changes;

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register
For a start, the number of buttons on the front of the unit is ludicrous, and it's extremely easy to brush the wrong button while playing a game and find that you've inadvertently managed to quit out or bring up a pause menu; but despite the millions of fascia buttons, Nokia hasn't seen fit to include any shoulder buttons. Doh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register
but worse again than this is the fact that the act of slipping in a new game involves removing the back of the unit, taking out the battery and sliding the game home into a SIM card style slot. This, needless to say, is a stunningly bad piece of design and the need to juggle about five separate bits of kit in order to play a new game isn't going to win the unit any fans.

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 06-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think what a lot of people are forgetting that the N-Gage is a phone as well a mobile gaming console. Its got a very defiite appeal in this category for young mobile gamers. There are certainly some questionable desing decisionss, but feature wise this is very very good.

The one thing I've seen the device coming for a lot of flack for in the screen size. Yeah I think that may be an issue here, but on the other hand I'm not sure it will be that serious.

Cost is definetely an issue, but thinking out loud.. assuming there isn't a subsidy games for the device are going to be cheaper (plus point). Moreoever you wont just be buying a game machine your buying a phone and a small PDA (I mean Series 60 comes with serious stuff too you know!). By the time you consider that a cost of 300 is not out of this world. And you can bet that like the 7650 phone subsidies in the UK at least will bring the cost down to 100 or less (e.g. you can get the 7650 now for nothing with the right contract). I reckon networks might be rather keen to sell this phone, not only does it do all the normal phone stuff it also has an interesting revenue stream from multi-player gaming over gRPS / GSM etc.

Hmmm!

Old 06-02-2003, 05:10 PM

well, IGN seems to like it:
Quote:
The best news is that Nokia seems to have nailed the controls and interface in general. Unlike most third parties, they actually did a solid job with the D-pad. Granted, I only got to play with it for a few minutes, but the pad felt fast, responsive, and very natural. Nokia announced that there were two "action" buttons, but in fact many of the other number keys function as game controls. I played a bit of the company's (first party) snowboarding game and most of the numbers performed specific air tricks. Having the spread of number keys under your thumb actually makes control very fast.
and so do gamers.com
Quote:
And the games themselves? We'll save most of the details for a bigger, more comprehensive write-up tomorrow, but needless to say, they look good. Most of the demos we saw were less than a month old, but already display impressive 3D capabilities. Tomb Raider looked impressive and is shaping up to be virtually a direct port of the original PSone version, while another Eidos PSone port of a much lesser-known game, the 2D-platformer-in-a-3D-world Pandemonium, looked the pick of the bunch with a smooth framerate, neat special effects and quite decent texturing. The rest of the games include Sonic N (announced via a Yuji Naka stream from Tokyo), Super Monkey Ball (yes, in 3D), MotoGP (playable for up to 4 people via Bluetooth), Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Bobble, Taito Memories (four classic Taito games, of which only Super Space Invaders was revealed), Virtua Tennis (sprite-based and only on video) and Snowboarding (from Nokia). Other planned titles not seen at the event, but mentioned in press releases, are Sega Rally, Red Faction and MLBPA Player's Choice Baseball. Nokia promises more titles will be unveiled in the summer.
I would trust them more that theregister.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
If you have to remove the battery to change the MMC then I think this will be a big problem. It means you will have to do a reboot to change the card. OK this might sound reasonable ie run your game from a fresh start but I tend to keep my data on my MMC contacts, mail etc. This means they wont be availible if I'm playing a game which could be a bugger if someone rings you up half was through a game and the data you need is not availible e.g. "Sorry I'll ring you back after I've rebooted my phone". This could be solved by having 2 MMC slots but I don't think the specs suggest that. Prehaps the design will change before the release model.

Does anyone know it the games will run on ther Series 60 devices? I would seem a bit daft if they did not as they would be reducing their potential software market enourmously. Of course if they do run on any series 60 devices their is no reason why other manufacturers can't produce their own game deck designs in which case their could be a device for everyones taste.

I'm also not sure what they mean about price as the telephone provider tend to subsidise the hardware costs so Nokia should not have to.

Just my 2p's worth.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:38 PM

Mental Blank is on a distinguished road
Personally, I think the most interesting thing about the N-Gage is that it will be (afaik) the only open console for which games can be freely developed by anyone. I'd expect there to be a huge number of independently-developed games released for the platform.

Also, just imagine the potential for massively multiplayer games over GPRS. Network operators should be keen to subsidise the N-Gage when they realise the vast amount of additional data traffic that will be generated by this sort of product.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:20 PM

Tenchi is on a distinguished road
One thing for sure I would consider one of these over the ugly 3650!

Old 06-02-2003, 11:26 PM

Tenchi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Blank
Personally, I think the most interesting thing about the N-Gage is that it will be (afaik) the only open console for which games can be freely developed by anyone. I'd expect there to be a huge number of independently-developed games released for the platform.
Very good point, it might bring back the 80's early 90's game development (backyard coders) which is where most the good stuff came from for the Amiga (for those of you old enough to know what one of those are ).

Old 07-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Blank
Indeed, something like Resistance on the 7650 is tailor made for the N-Gage, and should work with no changes when the platform comes out.

And lets not forget something like Vexed from myself - of which there is already an early alpha test bed running on the 7650... :-)

Old 07-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan-FreEPOC
And lets not forget something like Vexed from myself - of which there is already an early alpha test bed running on the 7650... :-)
Ooooh you Series 60 OPL tease