All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-12-2008, 01:17 PM

dodged is on a distinguished road
any news of a download release of a n95 8gb version?

Old 24-12-2008, 10:10 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonym View Post
Your old upi files should be compatible. I dont see any reason why they shouldnt be. I have downloded pois from poiplaza.com and they worked in 7.70.

I also heard that pois do not work in new version. But I've personally never seen not working upi. If you have some, give it here.
Too risky for me, since it appears that there is no backup plan if the POIs fail. No tool for converting or anything, just hope and pray. I don't have enough money to keep paying to be a beta tester of expensive software and I'm really not into that game either.

I have already paid more money for this software solution than what a standalone GPS would cost me. For that money I got a GPS program so buggy that I can't use it. Now you tell me that I have to pay all over again to get bug fixes and then just HOPE that it works, even though there's a lot of reports that it doesn't?

I really think Sygic need to get the costumer support in a completely different gear or you will be out of business sooner than you think.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...

Old 03-01-2009, 06:10 PM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
Too risky for me, since it appears that there is no backup plan if the POIs fail. No tool for converting or anything, just hope and pray. I don't have enough money to keep paying to be a beta tester of expensive software and I'm really not into that game either.

I have already paid more money for this software solution than what a standalone GPS would cost me. For that money I got a GPS program so buggy that I can't use it. Now you tell me that I have to pay all over again to get bug fixes and then just HOPE that it works, even though there's a lot of reports that it doesn't?

I really think Sygic need to get the costumer support in a completely different gear or you will be out of business sooner than you think.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...
to sbc: What you mean that there is no backup plan. You can make backup copy of upi file. I told you already that I have tried old upi files in new version and they worked. And I have never seen not working old upi file. If we do not recieve such a file from our customers, we cant make any fix or manual or something to fix it, if it is so.

Than you for understanding.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 PM

To me a backup plan is NOT to reinstall an old version, after having paid for a new. Especially considering the old version is quite useless to me, as explained above. A backup plan is for the software house to provide a .upi converter or bug fix, if there's a problem with the software.

Try google'ing for the .upi issue. I have seen it mentioned a few places, though I don't remember where. After finding out there was no bug fixes or upgrade path for the current costumers, I kinda lost interest in the product.

If you provide a free upgrade, I'll be happy to check it out for you and provide bad .upi's if the reported issues turn out to be true. But for sure I am not going to pay to even more money for being a beta tester.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM

ThirdCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To me a backup plan is NOT to reinstall an old version, after having paid for a new.
[...]
If you provide a free upgrade, I'll be happy to check it out for you and provide bad .upi's if the reported issues turn out to be true. But for sure I am not going to pay to even more money for being a beta tester.

Hmm, a backup plan is backing up your phone from time to time. Which would do the trick nicely. In the computer world the onus is on the user to back up their data, is it any different here in the mobile phone world?

As a scientific software developer I think, dear SBC, that this software release (2009) is way out of the beta stage.

And also, have you compared the price of map updates in another well-known software compared to getting the whole map and (significant) software update from Sygic?

To me this software is a TomTom killer in the making. I would not be surprised if TT try to take Sygic over to the customers' detriment - you are too strong a competition.

Many thanks for all the hard work!

Greetings from England's Lake District (wet but beautiful as ever),

TC

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 AM

You are kidding me, right? You make the matter of the users loosing all their POIs a question of semantics??!!! Ok. Perhaps we should switch to MY natural tongue and continue the conversation in Danish! Brug dog hovedet og vær lidt seriøs, hva?

Nice to see that YOU are happy about the product and support of Sygic, but that doesn't make it illegal for other users to mention the obvious problems. Read this thread from the start and see how enthusiastic everyone, not at least yours truly, was too, back when I started this thread. Unfortunately everything went downhill, as you can read from this thread too, when Sygic support turned out to be non existing and serious flaws made the software useless, at least to the version we already PAID for.

Support is NOT fixing show stoppers in the next paid for version (and introducing others), but making the current software useful to current costumers. Why is that so hard to understand?

Btw, all earlier .upi converters are useles for the new 2009 version, meaning that something definately HAS changed. I have read of users having to convert their upi's into text and then back into upi's using new converters to get them running. This works for many, but not for all, and proves once and for all that NOT all older upi's can be used in v.2009.

FYI:
Signing up to a board and then praise a specific software house in your very first posting can be misunderstood by some. This is NOT an accusation but merely stating a fact on a board, which have had issues before.

Last edited by sbc; 10-01-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:23 PM

ThirdCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are kidding me, right? [...snip].
Sorry SBC if I upset you somehow ...

But back to the topic. Can you point to a software company that is responsible for its users backing up their documents, please? POIs are just like your contacts on the phone - they are a document. Even mobile phone companies suggest that you need to back up, and backup software is a part of any mobile phone package. You don't back up - you are on your own. And shouting at support does not lead anywhere. Even in Danish.

As for your other allegations - well, I could respond in a few languages, but I won't. It would be counterproductive. Suffice to say I have nothing to do with Sygic/McGuider, except for sympathy for having users like yourself.

Good luck.
TC

P.S. FYI: English is not my first language. Your English isn't too bad either, so I am not sure why the upset ... and what's with the head?

Last edited by ThirdCat; 12-01-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Ads

Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Please re-read before commenting. The problem is, as described, that all your old POIs are dead if you upgrade to the latest McGuider! It has nothing to do with backing up your software, but the fact that Sygic has no backup solution ready if their software fails, as is the case here. No way to convert your old POIs into the new format, you're just SOL.

It took me several hours to convert all my old TomTom POIs into upi's, typing each and every lon/lat in manually. So now I find that I have to do it all over again if I were to purchase v2009, because Sygic forgot all about backwards compatibility. Surely you can say that is not a problem?

P.S. Sorry to see that google translation wasn't up to the task of converting Danish into whatever

Old 15-01-2009, 01:44 PM

xury is on a distinguished road
sbc you don't need manually convert your upi files.
Use Poiconvertor from Sygic website (in help section) and convert upi to unicode text. Next convert text files to the new upi files.
So it's simply way to make your old upi working:
upi=>txt>upi

Old 15-01-2009, 05:58 PM

Thx, that's nice to know.

How come Sygic doesn't know that?

Old 16-01-2009, 09:49 PM

xury is on a distinguished road
But after is another problem with 7.7 version.
Sounds warnings not working. Application crashes during trying to play sound on symulation or navigation.
So you can see POI but can't use POI warnings.
This version is much worse than previous.

Old 16-01-2009, 10:48 PM

No problem. You can buy a full license for v2010 in about one year

Old 17-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Thx, that's nice to know.

How come Sygic doesn't know that?
Sorry sbc, but I thought that you know about sygic web and help page.
There is always the newest poi convertor.
This is why I told you, that i dont understand why are your poi incompatible.

And again, we didnt change the upi file format. IF there is a bug, i have to obtain first old upi file which does not work, THEN I can fix it and give you info what/where is the problem.

I think that problem during konversion with old upi convertor is, that we changed column separator from coma to TAB. But everything is on this page in manual. But this was an issue only during conversion.

Binary format hasnt changed.

Old 17-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xury View Post
But after is another problem with 7.7 version.
Sounds warnings not working. Application crashes during trying to play sound on symulation or navigation.
So you can see POI but can't use POI warnings.
This version is much worse than previous.
Yes, unfotunatelly, we know about this problem. This was fixed already. But I cant tell you what is the update process for existing customers. This is on Teleatlas. If we are asked for update from TA, we deliver one. But I know that there is also assistent on McGuider sdcard which can offer a update. I dont know when TA plans enable this feature. ( I am a technical guy, not from managment )

Old 18-01-2009, 05:38 PM

A lot of bugs were reported here in this thread. Do you know if all the bug fixes are included in the 2009 version?

1. Like for example the ferry bug I reported here http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...716#post377716

2. Does 2009 have the option to inspect the route after calculation by zooming in? I believe you worked on this while active in this thread, but did the fix make it to the final version?

Btw, Sonym, I hope you are aware that my now somewhat negative view on McGuider has nothing to do with you personally. I think the software was programmed very nicely, especially the high frame rate is great. My problem is with the way the product is being managed and the lack of support, which I find rather frustrating.