All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-12-2008, 10:44 PM

lochdara is on a distinguished road
Version 30.0.018 (N95 8GB FIRMWARE) PROBLEM

Hi Guys
i just updated firmware on n95 8gb. (Version 30.0.018) I have noticed that it does not hold my wpa key for wifi. I have to keep re entering it many times a day to get my roadsync or web to work. If i cancel and not put in the key it goes into a mini boot. Screen goes blank and nokia screen comes on and eventually desktop appears with out the need for pin code. Any ideas . Thankfully youtube works this time. I can remove emtube and save space.

Other than that all looks good so far.

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm

Old 16-12-2008, 10:51 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
My classic never would for some reason. I got around it by going to Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> Connection -> Access Points and setting my wifi spot as an access point manually.

Hopefully this will help you make that daft ol' key stay put.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 16-12-2008, 11:01 PM

i shall do that thanks. Problem is then i will have to do it at home and work then each time.. Testing is the first part of finding out.

Thanks

malcolm

Old 17-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
have you tried removing your current AP and reissuing them to the handset?

Old 17-12-2008, 05:08 PM

yeah. i deleted all a/p's and allowed them to be found. and also added manually. Its not a major issue but hopefully one that can be sorted as i move around different a/ps between work, home and other offices.

Thanks anyway

Old 18-12-2008, 06:46 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Yet again the standard question comes to mind: did you restore an old backup after updating the firmware?
Ads

Old 19-12-2008, 09:01 AM

DevonHammer is on a distinguished road
I have this same problem. Same firmware etc. and didn't restore settings. I've tried both WEP and WPA.

The only workaround I have is to manually configure all access points and assign a fixed access point to all networked apps. This is a bit annoying as I have to re-assign them when I change location, but it doesn't ask for my key. The only slight workaround is to have different browsers for different locations e.g. I use the built in one at home on wi-fi and opera when I'm on 3G/gprs so I don't have to change those.

Old 19-12-2008, 09:45 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
But you did run a restore?

I installed the firmware discussed here on september 8 and haven't had any issues in that regard.

Try formatting internal memory before doing a hard reset/reflash. Then test the wifi RIGHT AFTER the process is done, without installing/adjusting anything. That's the proper way to troubleshoot.

Old 19-12-2008, 01:02 PM

I only restored by synching contacts with Outlook. I then setup everything manually including wi-fi, which had this problem, I then installed apps.

I did NOT do a format though.

BTW this is an intermittent problem. After I have connected once with wifi I can use a user-defined access point and it works fine until I reboot.

I appreciate that a format and hard reset would be good for testing, but this isn't enough of a problem to go through that pain.

Old 19-12-2008, 04:30 PM

likewise here. I only re imported contacts. and installed all apps afterwards.actually only 1. Roadsync.

sometimes now it reboots even if i put in the wpa key. I never had an any issue with wpa since i got the phone.
its constantly scanning for wlan even though wlan scan is switched off.

I did however see my n95 and also e51 can cause zyxel 3000h a/p to go dead (time out on ping) if you left their signal range. but that was on old firmware and new 3100 a/p's worked fine.
that has being the only problem on v20 firmware.

Old 22-12-2008, 05:48 PM

Hi Guys

I maybe have found a solution to my problem. I wont know fully until i return to work but maybe if u guys have a similiar problem you can test it.

i dont 2 things. i went into menu>tools>settings>connection>Wireless Lan.
In here i set never to show wlan availability. Why so for this? Because even though wlan scanning was off it kept popping up and it wouldnt not allow my phone to work correctly and cause it to reboot if i said okay to message or cancelled it..

secondly i done

in the same section wireless lan>Options>advanced options> changed auto configuration to disabled and then disabled power saving.

i rebooted my phone and it connected to my wlan straight away.
I will test it fully in jan..

Fedback on this welcome.

Old 23-12-2008, 09:00 AM

From a ten minute test this seems to work.

If I turn wlan scanning on from the standby screen I can then browse without being asked for the key. This also works with other apps e.g. Google Maps

The only thing that doesn't work is if I have wlan scanning off and then scan for a wireless network within an application. This finds the wlan, but asks for my key. I'm happy to live with this. Thanks for finding the solution.

Old 23-12-2008, 09:27 AM

i was getting that but not since i disabled wlan scan in settings. I did however enable power setting again. Today will be a test when i leave the wlan and comeback to it.

thanks for the feedback

Last edited by lochdara; 23-12-2008 at 09:30 AM.