All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Pretty much :/ I sold mine on and he seems to get on ok with it as he uses it like once a year. Maybe ill try it again at some point in the future once it has matured. To release a final with this amount of bugs and no obvious update system or changelog is very poor logic.

For me the main annoyance was the mass slowdown when putting some of my larger poi categories on ( speed cameras and towerbase ) the poi search seems to be limited within around 15 miles meaning the only way you can go anywhere is to tediously look though the "poi near city"

I have gone back to TomTom which is better but has two main annoyances 1) It has problems with very large lists of POI. When entering something into a poi category within tomtom which has a couple of thousand entries is hopeless. if you try and enter say "C" you press the 2 buton and you will get a or b but its almost impossible to hit the sodding c as it slows the device down so much. 2) It needs an external reciever.

Last edited by Unplugged; 04-08-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Old 14-08-2008, 08:19 AM

softspot is on a distinguished road
new user, some "issues" with Sygic

hello here, I'm new to this forum, though I have read this thread entirely before starting to post here. Very interesting, not in the least because someone from Sygic seems to participate here.
I recently purchased Sygic's McGuider, and it works OK on my mobile (though not a symbian machine), but I have some items which do not behave like I would like.
First: automatic zoom in relation to speed: the auto-zoom does not reach the maximum zoomlevel, even at standstill, but seems to "hang" on a moderate zoomlevel, which leaves too many details unclear, and that leads to puzzling reactions, especially in complex crossing-constructions. Is there a way by editing an .ini file or whatever to adjust this zoomlevel?
Second: I live in Bruges (Belgium). When I want to go to an airport to fly away, it usually means me going to Brussels, Charleroi or Amsterdam. But when I want to navigate to an airport, the programm only gives me the choice between two or three airports which are closeby. Same objection when I try to navigate to a concerthall in Brussels: all POI's I can choose of are at a maximum distance of about 80km. from my actual postition.
Why that limitation in distance when choosing from POI's? The concerthall in Bruges is well known by me, I don't need navigation for that. But when I want to drive to the center of Brussels, I would like to plan my ride from home, not from somewhere near Brussels. In this way the whoile POI-concept becomes more or less useless: I am obliged to enter the desired destination as a favourite or look up the actual adress myself before being able to navigate to it.
The program also takes very long to generate a list of possible POI's to navigate to. It seems that the programm starts searching the map for specific POI's which match the desired item within a certain radius starting from the current position instead of offering the user the list of POI's to choose from. Maybe an item for the next update?

Last edited by softspot; 14-08-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Old 14-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Yes POI searching and generation on McGuider is very poor.

I think their is a way of searching within a city and then you can look for airports close by but its a really half arsed way of doing things and a major let down of the package.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM

another strange thing happened...

last week we had a little vacation in southern-Germany (Bavaria, to be precise). One of the things I had planned there, and set out in advance as a touring route in McGuider, was a trip from our temporary adress in Sulzberg to the Wieskirche in Wies near Steingaden, next to Oberammergau, drive through to Garmisch Partenkirchen (the Partnachklamm) and than back to the starting point, our home-adress-for-the-time. The trip was entered in McG. in advance, as a planned trip, and saved. To define the visiting points I had pointed them out on the map: "here is the object I want to visit".

On the chosen day we set out: and McG neatly started from where we were, and put us on the road to our first stop, the Wieskirche, indicating distance and expected time of arrival. On the highway B12 it guided me to the first exit, than set the direction directly to.... our final target: back home..... it simply skipped all via's and led us directly to the endpoint of the trip.
We did make the tour: I had all via's saved in my favourite-list, so I just told McG to lead me to the next stop by "navigate to favourite", but somehow this was not the way I thought McG would behave...

Apart from this queery it behaved very well and brought us everywhere we wanted to go without much trouble. One thing that might be object of improvement though is the speech module. The Dutch comments sometimes are more cause for laughter than is desirable, but at least we understand what the program tries to tell us. ;-)

Sonym... are you still with us here???

Last edited by softspot; 09-09-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Old 25-09-2008, 04:07 PM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by softspot View Post
last week we had a little vacation in southern-Germany (Bavaria, to be precise). One of the things I had planned there, and set out in advance as a touring route in McGuider, was a trip from our temporary adress in Sulzberg to the Wieskirche in Wies near Steingaden, next to Oberammergau, drive through to Garmisch Partenkirchen (the Partnachklamm) and than back to the starting point, our home-adress-for-the-time. The trip was entered in McG. in advance, as a planned trip, and saved. To define the visiting points I had pointed them out on the map: "here is the object I want to visit".

On the chosen day we set out: and McG neatly started from where we were, and put us on the road to our first stop, the Wieskirche, indicating distance and expected time of arrival. On the highway B12 it guided me to the first exit, than set the direction directly to.... our final target: back home..... it simply skipped all via's and led us directly to the endpoint of the trip.
We did make the tour: I had all via's saved in my favourite-list, so I just told McG to lead me to the next stop by "navigate to favourite", but somehow this was not the way I thought McG would behave...

Apart from this queery it behaved very well and brought us everywhere we wanted to go without much trouble. One thing that might be object of improvement though is the speech module. The Dutch comments sometimes are more cause for laughter than is desirable, but at least we understand what the program tries to tell us. ;-)

Sonym... are you still with us here???
Yes I am, but I have a lot of work. Sometimes I jump here for a short time.

Old 13-10-2008, 07:46 PM

Well, Sonym, I hope you read this and that you find time to respond or take these remarks into the development of a next version of McG:

my personal wishlist for a new version of McG:

1. automatic activation of Bluetooth at startup
2. higher zoomlevel at low speeds or standstill
3. no nagging screens with national info when crossing state borders. Move that to the "extra"-menu for it causes one to do just what the software is warning you for at startup.
4. remove that warningscreen "do not operate the program while driving" after the first startup: once warned the effect is useless the second and consequence times and only slowing down the startup-sequence of the program.
5. restyling of the expressions in the spoken directions.
6. a somewhat better explanation of how to work with POI's. Since I found out that you can navigate to a POI by selecting the city of destination it becomes clear to me. But the manual is worth improving. Or restyle the POI-handling a bit.
7. Outlook-integration (navigate to adresses in the adressbook of a PDA when present)

Note that the sequence of the wishlist does not represent the "urgence" of my wishes. They are all equally valuable to me. I only hope to be of constructive help to a next version of this program, which about does what it has to do at an affordable price for the average driver. But it could be better, with some slight improvements.

I'm looking forward to any reaction.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Thumbs up New Mcguider 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by softspot View Post
Well, Sonym, I hope you read this and that you find time to respond or take these remarks into the development of a next version of McG:

my personal wishlist for a new version of McG:

1. automatic activation of Bluetooth at startup
2. higher zoomlevel at low speeds or standstill
3. no nagging screens with national info when crossing state borders. Move that to the "extra"-menu for it causes one to do just what the software is warning you for at startup.
4. remove that warningscreen "do not operate the program while driving" after the first startup: once warned the effect is useless the second and consequence times and only slowing down the startup-sequence of the program.
5. restyling of the expressions in the spoken directions.
6. a somewhat better explanation of how to work with POI's. Since I found out that you can navigate to a POI by selecting the city of destination it becomes clear to me. But the manual is worth improving. Or restyle the POI-handling a bit.
7. Outlook-integration (navigate to adresses in the adressbook of a PDA when present)

Note that the sequence of the wishlist does not represent the "urgence" of my wishes. They are all equally valuable to me. I only hope to be of constructive help to a next version of this program, which about does what it has to do at an affordable price for the average driver. But it could be better, with some slight improvements.

I'm looking forward to any reaction.
Well, we have released new McGuider 2009 finally. I hope there are many impovements for you all.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM

djinn-uk is on a distinguished road
Hi SonyM, I've tried the latest version (well 7.6) after purchasing the original mcguider, the 7.6 was much improved, however just a few bug bares for my liking, please note these are bugs from 7.6 not 7.7 if they've been fixed please let me know.

1) Itenerary planning was dreadfull, I plan a route everyday that may have 20+ stops, mcguider would not tell you the postcodes or streetnames of the waypoints you had punched in you just got a waypoint number 1,2,3,4 no more information so it was impossible to rearrange the waypoints also the routing algorithim between the waypoints was all over the place even after 'optimising' the route it seemed to be taking me all over the place and missing out addresses I was passing right buy just to get me to another post code area. May I suggest you guys try CoPilot 7 as its Route/Itenerary planner is fantastic if you could incorporate a similar system that would be great.

2) No 'warn only on route' POI's. Speedcam warnings flash up for cameras that are not even on your road!

3) The mapping data for the UK is dreadfull, numerous times in only a 2 day test run I gave to mcguider 7.6 (with latest maps I might add), I was asked to join a road crossing another road that didn't have a slip road (it was a bridge over the road) also In town center's especially Derby, UK the maps have no idea of the one way systems! Mcguider was constantly directing me the wrong way up one way streets! a definate no go area for a sat nav solution.

Id have hoped that these areas are ironed out in 7.7 if so please enlighten us.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
sonym,
I have logged in to my teleatlas account but 'There are no downloads available yet', only a full purchase option with no discount whatsoever. Does this mean I will have to purchase the software once again, to get bugfixes and updates?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I am in the same situation sbc. Although, how did you get a teleatlas account? I got an OEM package of sygic, and I saw nothing related to account there.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM

I made my purchase on the online shop at www.teleatlas.com. I got a login I can use here https://navigation.teleatlas.com/en/shop/account/login during the purchase, as I remember it.

Last edited by sbc; 09-12-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Old 22-12-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn-uk View Post
Hi SonyM, I've tried the latest version (well 7.6) after purchasing the original mcguider, the 7.6 was much improved, however just a few bug bares for my liking, please note these are bugs from 7.6 not 7.7 if they've been fixed please let me know.

1) Itenerary planning was dreadfull, I plan a route everyday that may have 20+ stops, mcguider would not tell you the postcodes or streetnames of the waypoints you had punched in you just got a waypoint number 1,2,3,4 no more information so it was impossible to rearrange the waypoints also the routing algorithim between the waypoints was all over the place even after 'optimising' the route it seemed to be taking me all over the place and missing out addresses I was passing right buy just to get me to another post code area. May I suggest you guys try CoPilot 7 as its Route/Itenerary planner is fantastic if you could incorporate a similar system that would be great.

2) No 'warn only on route' POI's. Speedcam warnings flash up for cameras that are not even on your road!

3) The mapping data for the UK is dreadfull, numerous times in only a 2 day test run I gave to mcguider 7.6 (with latest maps I might add), I was asked to join a road crossing another road that didn't have a slip road (it was a bridge over the road) also In town center's especially Derby, UK the maps have no idea of the one way systems! Mcguider was constantly directing me the wrong way up one way streets! a definate no go area for a sat nav solution.

Id have hoped that these areas are ironed out in 7.7 if so please enlighten us.
Hi, v7.70 fixes many bugs.
1. Itinerary planning has changed a little. If I say a little, I mean avlittle. I think this bug with not showed postals in itinerary was fixed. I have to check it to be 100perc sure.
2. in this new version you have speedcams from TA ( *.cam files). There is new system of speedcamera warning. But if you add your own cameras (*.upi ), it will be used the old warning system. You could set warning for cameras only on road. but this was possible in previous version also.
3. new mcguider has new routecomputing algorithm. it should be faster and more accurate. You can now select from fastest, shortest, economic, bicycle, or pedestrian mode. We also have new map data from TA. So, I hope your problems should disappear. If you want, you can put here your wrong computed route in 7.6. I will check if it is fixed in 7.7 or not.

FOR ALL: If you have any wrong computed route, please send it routing@sygic.com or support@sygic.com or put it here. We want improve our navigation as more as we can. The best will be if you'll send picture of map, how it is comoputed in navigation, how it is coputed on google.maps and how it should be by you.
Thank you.

Old 22-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
I made my purchase on the online shop at www.teleatlas.com. I got a login I can use here https://navigation.teleatlas.com/en/shop/account/login during the purchase, as I remember it.

Unfortunately you have right. You have to buy whole new version if you want update. Update system will work once. It is matter of time. This product has low price, so you can consider it as update. But for this low price you will get update of maps and sw also, and speedcameras and bigger 4GB sdhc card.

Old 23-12-2008, 10:05 AM

That's really a let down, but thanks for the reply.

Can you please tell me if all my current POIs (.upi) are dead if I buy the new version? I have read that on several sites, but surely it can't be true?

Oh, and happy holidays to everyone

Last edited by sbc; 23-12-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Old 23-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
That's really a let down, but thanks for the reply.

Can you please tell me if all my current POIs (.upi) are dead if I buy the new version? I have read that on several sites, but surely it can't be true?

Oh, and happy holidays to everyone

Your old upi files should be compatible. I dont see any reason why they shouldnt be. I have downloded pois from poiplaza.com and they worked in 7.70.

I also heard that pois do not work in new version. But I've personally never seen not working upi. If you have some, give it here.