All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-11-2008, 07:15 PM

gd16 is on a distinguished road
Problem Restoring Backup after FW upgrade

Hi Folks

Using the guide at the top of the page, i've unbranded my 'normal' N95 and upgraded it a few months ago to FW v20 with no problems.

Checked back on here a few days ago, and saw there was a new FW version - great.

So - opened up PC Suite, used the backup software and made a backup of just the phone memory. It didn't complete the first time, but on the second attempt it worked fine.

Upgraded the firmware today, no problem, to v30.

Now i'm trying to restore the backup i made - with no luck. Again - into PC Suite, choosing restore. I've tried both backups i made the other day - but after the phone restarts during the restore sequence - none of my contacts are shown, none of my messages and none of my calender entries. As said - i've tried both backups i made.

I've downloaded Noki, which basically looks like Winzip for .nbu files (Nokia Backups) - and with the either backup on my hard drive selected, its showing all the messages/contacts/calenders.

So the information is clearly in the backup files, but the restore option isn't working through the PC Suite.

Is there any other way i can get back all my info from the .nbu file onto my phone, without having to go through Noki and manually type in all my contacts/calender entries etc etc

Cheers for any advice given

Old 26-11-2008, 08:52 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Try selectively restoring ..

say your contacts only .. then messages .. etc until you find the problem ..

I'd be leaving calendar til last .. always seems to take forever for me .. I don't use it much anyway

Good Luck!
Ads

Old 26-11-2008, 10:07 PM

Tried doing it one at a time.

Contacts
Calender

All with the same result :(

I think i have found a way round getting my contacts back on the phone, with the use of NBU Contacts Extractor. However - still leaves me with manually having to type in the calender entries. And no way of restoring the SMS i had. A lot of which were in folders, so don't even show up in Noki / ABCNBU

Currently downloading .NET Framework 3.5 so i can try and install the Ovi Suite and see if that works.

Old 27-11-2008, 07:52 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
More Information Required

Hi,

Could you please give more details about your PC and Phone. It would be great if you could give these details

PC : Operating System, 32/64bit, Service Pack
Connectivity : USB/Bluetooth/Infra Red
Phone : dial *#0000# on your phone and paste the information on this forum

Why donot you try to restore one by one item to your phone? May i know from which part of the world ,you are from?

Old 27-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Hi

ITS ON YOUR OWN RISK I can't guarnetee this will work but if you are ready to take risk follow these steps

(Assuming you have backup file with you safely), its totally on your own risk, what you can do is restore your phone to factory settings (by dialling *#7780# it will ask for security pin if you have not changed anything so far by default it will be 12345 ) reboot your phone and then try to restore your backup file to Nokia N95.

As of Now Nokia PC Suite 7.1 is still in Beta Version, hence you can wait still some more days, as once it graduates from Beta, you can try this issue in 7.1 PC Suite. Best of Luck Have a great life

Old 27-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Cricfancy;

I'm from the UK.
PC: Windows XP, SP2 i think
Connectivity: USB
Phone: V30.0.0.15 15-07-08 RM159

I've tried restoring items one by one, Calander, Contacts and Messaging - all with the same results, restore says it is sucessfull - but once the phone restarts it has no info transferred.

I've also tried resetting to factory defaults using the method you mentioned, then restore one by one - but again, nothing shows on the phone.

I've tried both Nokia Suite 6.3, Nokia Suite 7.0 and Ovi Suite.

I'll see if Nokia Suite 7.1 has any sucess when it is released.

My main issue now is my messages. Using Noki, i can view all the messages that are stored in my inbox. However - i can't find anything that will show my messages from the Saved Messages folders. I know the messages are in the backup - as i've searched the NBU file and it has phrases that only my saved messages have. But no way of extracting them to either the PC or my mobile.

Old 27-11-2008, 12:40 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Just a thought.

1. Reinstall the firmware on your phone (you may have had a corrupted install the first time round).

2. Connect your handset to the PC via USB and open Nokia PC Sync and change the settings to sync from PC to phone.

This should at least restore Contacts, Calender, Notes, Tasks etc.

Old 27-11-2008, 04:04 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Restoring old backups on new firmwares is a mess, which has been proven time and time again. I wish ppl would stop recommending it and just do things the proper way: sync the personal details back and do a fresh install of the programs.

Old 27-11-2008, 06:41 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
Restoring old backups on new firmwares is a mess, which has been proven time and time again. I wish ppl would stop recommending it and just do things the proper way: sync the personal details back and do a fresh install of the programs.
Hoorah! The best advice is NOT to restore a backup after firmware changes.

Old 27-11-2008, 06:48 PM

Shame the first post in the sticky 'how to update your firmware' recommends doing it with PC Suite. And as i had sucessfully managed when going from V12 > V20 assumed that it would also be fine going to V30.

Unfortunatly its a bit late to go back and use the Sync method which is better. I'm just after a way of retreiving all my messages, preferably all the 'Saved messages' as well

Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry, but I don't think it can be done. But try asking those who heavily promote restoring old backups on new firmwares. I think it's time they step up to the plate and explain how they make things work, when the rest of us fail.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Hi All,

There is an application called Noki, a third party application will help you to explore and extract Phone book, SMS, Calendar, Memo, Bookmark and other user files from the backup file of Nokia phone (using Nokia PC Suite).