All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Exclusive: Skype now official and for S60 5th Edition

Skype for Symbian, long in beta for S60 3rd Edition and missing-in-action for S60 5th Edition, has now been released for both, and is out of beta. You can get it by going to skype.com/m in Web on your (N95 onwards) S60 phone and downloading when prompted. Read on for some screenshots and other links.

Read on in the full article.

Old 16-02-2010, 08:21 AM

krizanand is on a distinguished road
Last screenshot

the last screen shot made me disappointed, maybe you should have not posted it steve , having said that they have finally released it.

Old 16-02-2010, 08:49 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Angry Ahem

*cough* S60 5th edition my arse .. maybe Nokia S60 5th edition but not the Satio .. I'd be interested to hear if folks with Samsungs have the same issue.

No video calling? .. sorry Fring FTW!

Old 16-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

Not working...

It is not working on my N97 with 33MB on C: left! only installed necessary on C: like Maps and MfE. of course i have newest firmware and made a hard reset after it. but with Maps not in firmware and MfE only installable on C: -> no change... but with Fring and Nimbuzz no issue :-) (both installed too on E: as Skype WAS...)

Old 16-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down No Video

I am a bit dissapointed because there is no video calling option...?

Old 16-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

C: drive and RAM - TWO different things(!)

Why do people keep mistaking C: driver space and RAM?

The C: drive is NOT the same as the RAM.

Low RAM has NOTHING to do with how much space there is left on C:

Old 16-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Gery

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
*cough* S60 5th edition my arse .. maybe Nokia S60 5th edition but not the Satio .. I'd be interested to hear if folks with Samsungs have the same issue.

No video calling? .. sorry Fring FTW!
It's also not working on the I8910. Installation stops with the message "Phone not supported". Maybe editing the package would help, although it would most probably need the VoIPAudioSrv like the beta which doesn't work with Samsung phones.

Old 16-02-2010, 10:10 AM

mato3113 is on a distinguished road
Wink Skype performance

I am using Skype on my N97 and it works great, it is quick, stable and feature reach. Perhaps Steve is running too many apps in background which causing sluggish Skype performance. I am running only few apps concurrently with Skype (maps, mail, etc). Present Nokia handsets are underpowered and it is necessary to bear it mind. Perhaps Samsung and Satio handsets could perform better up to Steve taste

Please do not compare Fring and Nimbuz with Skype client. Fring and Nimbuz can do so many things but very poorly. Skype offer decent call quality, instant messages etc. - non of this I can say about Fring & Nimbuz.

Old 16-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Err.... mato, you're not employed BY Skype, by any chance?

Old 16-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

Contacts Integration?

Remember at the N97 launch they said Skype would be integrated with the phone's normal Contacts application? I.e. you could bring up a contact and have the option of SMS/MMS/Call/VoIP/Skype etc.

This is very nicely integrated into Maemo 5 and I truly hope that the same applies to the N97 and other S60 5th edition devices.
Ads

Old 16-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Unregistered

i understand now. but why is it not running? i have NO apps opened. just tried to start skype. but no message or something else... after pressing "continue" it ends. so Nimbuzz and Fring ARE STILL better then the skype client.

Old 16-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Err.... mato, you're not employed BY Skype, by any chance?
of course not, but you have to admit that on Nokia Symbian phones the native Skype is the best working voip at moment. Even Nokia's built in SIP isn't as good as native Skype (for consumers). Maybe in future Google will compete with Gizmo5.

Old 16-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i understand now. but why is it not running? i have NO apps opened. just tried to start skype. but no message or something else... after pressing "continue" it ends. so Nimbuzz and Fring ARE STILL better then the skype client.
Are you using generic Nokia firmware or branded one? possibly Skype could be blocked on operators branded handsets.

Old 16-02-2010, 11:26 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
You might want to alter the title slightly to read "and for Nokia S60 5th edition" as its not working on the i8910, even when sideloaded, and from what i gather nor on the Satio.

Old 16-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

i've changed some time ago the PD to a not branded one. cause of this i have newest firmware running. without that i would still stay with version 11!