All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-01-2008, 06:54 AM

choonwai11 is on a distinguished road
Motorola Z8 network indicator

Hi all,

i had this phone for a week and saw different network indicatot that i dont understand wat is it. in the user manual, there are explanation for GSM, 3G, GPRS and flight mode.

But sometimes the network indicator show GSM or 3G with A red box Writing "HS" below it. do any one know wat the "HS" mean? just curios to know as the user manual also didnt explain it.

Old 19-01-2008, 11:33 AM

patrixl is on a distinguished road
I'm assuming it's HSDPA.. Not sure though

Old 21-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Bad_Carma is on a distinguished road
Hs

I think it stands for HSDPA but the funny thing is that I've gotten that logo when I've been online att location where the HSDPA network shouldn't exist.

So actually I'm not sure if it stands for that but it sounds like the most logical explination.

Old 24-01-2008, 12:54 AM

choonwai11 is on a distinguished road
while i travel with my Z8, i saw GSM icon, GSM with HS icon, 3G icon, and 3G with HS icon, i agreed it should be "high speed" for the HS. but some of the place i go shouldnt have any HSDPA service but it also show 3G with HS icon, bit confuse.

Maybe you guys can try to do a speed test with Z8. so far i had try to do a speed test with "GSM with HS" at my area(Malaysia), the download speed is 110kbs and upload speed is 40kbs.

Old 25-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
3G HS means HSDPA, or "High Speeed" 3G.

GSM HS means EDGE, or "High Speed" GSM.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:45 PM

MOTOZ8GL is on a distinguished road
That's my first message.Sorry for mistakes if someone will see it.I can't english perfect

My questions sounds: When i'm online in 3G network in my town,i have too HSDPA network.But a problem is that,i haven't 3GHS indicator.In another SIM card in the same network this 3G HS indicator is.Why,what's the problem?It's only different SIM card and the indicators is different.....

Old 11-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
It sounds like HSDPA isn't enabled on one of your SIM cards. The phone will always use HSDPA if it is able to. Ask your network provider if HSDPA is enabled on your account.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM

On my earlier phone V3xx,HSDPA have been active,at the same phone number.
That must be active automatic,but it doesn't
Other services like MMS,EDGE,internet is ok.My network company don't sell MOTO Z8 so they won't help me.Please more solution.

Old 30-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Indicator of 3G HS is appeard when phone download some datas
Ads

Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM

renrizrvator is on a distinguished road
according the the literature i got with my phone, the GSM/HS icon is supposed to be an indicator for vodaphone's 3G service. i've yet to see it ever read 3G. i've only seen it read "GSM" in a green box, and a GSM-HS green box with HS in red. granted my WSP is AT&T and their 3G service is layered over the 1900mhz band so i dont think i'll ever be able to take full advantage of the HSDPA on this phone =(. unless i switch to T-Mobile.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 AM

patrixl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrizrvator View Post
according the the literature i got with my phone, the GSM/HS icon is supposed to be an indicator for vodaphone's 3G service. i've yet to see it ever read 3G. i've only seen it read "GSM" in a green box, and a GSM-HS green box with HS in red. granted my WSP is AT&T and their 3G service is layered over the 1900mhz band so i dont think i'll ever be able to take full advantage of the HSDPA on this phone =(. unless i switch to T-Mobile.
I'm on O2 UK, disabled 3G and get the GSM/HS icon all the time. I also get 3G/HS icon when not downloading any data

you'll never see the 3G unless you move to Europe and get 2100 MHz 3G bands. AFAIK USA doesn't use that band.

Patrix