All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-03-2008, 08:00 PM
FCA00000

Unregistered

Old 31-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

"I'm wondering, if anyone can give me good solid reasons for opening up S60? As far as I have seen so far, its just been cosmetic (removing icons, changing colours etc)"

@bartmanekul, the very same reason as with computers, since we have paid for the product, we feel it should be our right to have full access of course. Now, if the product(s) was free of charge, I would support Steve's & your stance.

It's really disturbing that the individuals that are in favor of SS, are not addressing this aspect(side stepping like politicians so often do). There's a real feeling that there is no active critical thinking toward the new so-called security system implemented. One would think that you(plural) were in Nokia's/SS back pockets.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 AM

dchky is on a distinguished road
<SNIP> this DOES NOT allow user to install unsigned applications, and even if you unpacked the application and placed the files in the system folders manually, it still will not run due to the exe hash, and there is no way to generate these hash files into c/sys/hash/</SNIP>

Not sure where you picked that little snippet up from, but you are wrong. I've now installed close to 20 applications with absolutely no problem at all. A couple made me go back and examine the package files a little more closely, but this is all very trivial.

sha1sum is your friend. You punch the values in to your favourite hex editor, upload your hash to c:/sys/hash, no reboot necessary, it 'just works (tm)'

That said, there are a couple that have me perplexed, so what did I do? I became my own certificate authority since I can do that now too.

I don't think you quite realise the extent of what is actually going on here sir.

While some people may wonder 'what the point is' - for me this has made it simplistic to update firmware and ~not~ have to mess around reinstalling every single application again for the following 3 days. Apps like SMB make this a relatively simple copy and paste process - a reboot later and almost everything is up and running as it was prior to the update.

In some ways you are right and others wrong - a virus could spread through phones that already have these modifications, for everything else (the vast majority) it will never replicate, losing it's very definition of virus.

You only need to take a walk through any shopping centre to realise that there is indeed a virus problem on older Nokia phones.

For me this is a pleasure thing, having my phone work for me rather than work the way it was designed.

Last edited by dchky; 01-04-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

What this really illustrates is why applications with TCB/AllFiles have to be properly audited, and that all software should only ever be installed via the device's installer and not by some third party app.

This "hack" isn't really a hack at all. The security is still intact and robust, it's just that the Metro TRK app used for debugging has been given absurd capabilities without the auditing that usually goes with that.

So, what we have here is a perfectly good security system designed by symbian subverted by some morons at Nokia/UIQ releasing poor quality, unchecked software. Business as usual.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
>>Not sure where you picked that little snippet up from, but you are wrong. I've now installed close to 20 applications with absolutely no problem at all. A couple made me go back and examine the package files a little more closely, but this is all very trivial.

Thanks for confirming that I was right in my initial analysis.

>>You only need to take a walk through any shopping centre to realise that there is indeed a virus problem on older Nokia phones.

Err... I walk through UK shopping centres each weekend and I've *NEVER* received a single unwanted Bluetooth malware-laden request. Not one. Which part of the world do *you* walk in? 8-)

Steve

Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM

tonyn is on a distinguished road
dchky

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post

Err... I walk through UK shopping centres each weekend and I've *NEVER* received a single unwanted Bluetooth malware-laden request. Not one. Which part of the world do *you* walk in? 8-)

Steve
Often I go to the local cinema and some device tries to send me something over Bluetooth, but by the time I've allowed the connection the other side has given up. At a different cinema I did once receive one of those Channel 4 short film clips, but no malware.

To be fair the guy ("Occupation: Industrial Espionage") says that he's in Asia in his AAS profile. His web page has little beyond a phone number in the Philippines, and there have been many reports of Caribe & CommWarrior in the Philippines & Indonesia. What I don't understand, (if they are real rather than hype), is why so many people in these places have Bluetooth enabled & visible on their phones.

In China and Japan I have ridden full trains and done a search for visible Bluetooth devices and found maybe 1 or 2.

ttfn

Last edited by tonyn; 02-04-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: clarification
Ads