All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Asri's two weeks with the Nokia E52

Ahead of my own, slightly more formal AAS review of the Nokia E52 and of Rafe's video review, Asri al-Baker has also been using this new ultra-slim Eseries phones and here he reports back on his impressions after two weeks. Highlights for him are 'the best keypad in Nokia's smartphone history', the new, faster version of Web and all the Eseries interface tweaks.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

Best smartphone in the world?

"Best smartphone in the world?
I say that's bull's shit.

Old 22-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Can someone clear up the issue of how many 3G bands the E52/55 has? The reviews say 3, but the specs and the FCC, if I'm not mistaken say 2. I'm pretty sure that Nokia decided that 3 was too hard somewhere along the line as only got as far a 2, which is a bummer.

I have to say the E52/55 is the most exciting phone in a long time. Thinness is very important and so is battery life, and Nokia hit both nails on the head. At the same time the feature set is great. Hopefully software updates will take off some of the rough edges (like lack of a stand alone compass app) and one day they'll release a triband or quadband 3g version (E52/55i?).

Old 22-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Hi Asri,

Nice revue, thank you for that. Are you able to sync with Handbase? With my former E51, it was possible, but now with the 5800 xpress music, the sync doesn't work. Do you know why?

Old 22-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

Nokia E52 and syncing with Mac OSX i sync

J+How to sync contacts callenders etc in E52 with my Macbook ?

Old 22-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Great review. Some questions:
1. "best alphanumeric keypad in recent Nokia S60 smartphones history"
Is it different to the e51 keyboard?

2. "You can search the contacts database from the Home screen by typing the first few letters of a name"
How does the home screen know that you aren't typing digits for a raw phonenumber?

3. "predictive text input is good and can be configured to use 2 languages at once"
Multilingual users often turn single language predictive text off and stick to multitap. This will allow bilingual users use it. What about trilingual users, can it do more than two languages?

Old 22-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

As a bilingual user (and no, I don't stick to multitap, I just switch T9 languages all the friggin time ) the dual language predictive text is a great idea!

Old 22-08-2009, 06:35 PM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
Ah, so the E52 browser has an about pane? I wonder why they're only making the browser version number known now, the browser doesn't even have a proper name, I hope they pick something and stick with it.

EDIT: Aha, they do have something with names and versions: http://www.forum.nokia.com/infocente...A5F57D501.html, apparently there was a version jump from 3.2 to 7. lol. Still, they should pick a good, marketable name. s60.com/browser doesn't even work anymore.

I wonder what the 5800 is running though, it declares webkit 413 on the useragent, and it still haven't got the good stuff from the N97's browser. (ps sorry for the offtopic lol)

Last edited by fernando20; 22-08-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Old 22-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Unregistered

Question

Why does it matter if the memory card is under the back cover? Just how often do you change the card? Mine has been in my E71 from the day I got it and I can't see any need to take it out.

Old 22-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

>>How does the home screen know that you aren't typing digits for a raw phonenumber?
You are typing raw numbers in the normal dialing field. At the same time there is a pop-up menu with call types and a sidebar with predictive contact matches for those numbers. Look at the second set of pictures under Software Tweaks, the picture on the left.

Old 23-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Unregistered

Geez, listen to all these people bagging Asri for simply stating his opinion of the phone!

Old 23-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Tim2233

How to sync contacts callenders etc in E52 with my Macbook?
I expect (hope) that a new iSync plugin will be made available soon.

Yes, it's wider and has a different feel.
I like the keypad, but when clicking left/right on the direction button it's too easy to accidentally press the calendar and email buttons.

How does the home screen know that you aren't typing digits for a raw phonenumber?
It doesn't You just type the numbers, they appear as normal, but above the numbers is a list of contacts you are possibly looking for. Press send to dial the number or use the direction button to choose the contact.

I really like this phone, but it's not made as solidly as the E51, and the email app crashes constantly - desperately hoping for a firmware update to address this. Otherwise it's fantastic

Old 23-08-2009, 05:22 PM

asri is on a distinguished road
Talking

Many thanks for those who commented ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi Asri,

Nice revue, thank you for that. Are you able to sync with Handbase? With my former E51, it was possible, but now with the 5800 xpress music, the sync doesn't work. Do you know why?
I'm use HanDBase desktop version 4 on my Ubuntu box using the latest Wine. And I dont sync my database, I copy them manually. Most of my database work are done on the phone tho :-)

Quote:
Why does it matter if the memory card is under the back cover? Just how often do you change the card? Mine has been in my E71 from the day I got it and I can't see any need to take it out.
I have 3 microSD card which I regularly swap and insert into the E52 :

- 8 GB card for songs and transferring files (no need to carry USD thumbdrive anymmore LOL!)
- 4 GB card for movies, videos
- 1 GB card for my documents (articles, ebooks)

All these are my usual suspects, everyday use. Hence, for me, accessing card slot easily is very important.

To each his very own ;-)

Quote:
Geez, listen to all these people bagging Asri for simply stating his opinion of the phone!
I like the enthusiasm ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2233 View Post
I expect (hope) that a new iSync plugin will be made available soon.

Yes, it's wider and has a different feel.
I like the keypad, but when clicking left/right on the direction button it's too easy to accidentally press the calendar and email buttons.

It doesn't You just type the numbers, they appear as normal, but above the numbers is a list of contacts you are possibly looking for. Press send to dial the number or use the direction button to choose the contact.

I really like this phone, but it's not made as solidly as the E51, and the email app crashes constantly - desperately hoping for a firmware update to address this. Otherwise it's fantastic
Tim2233,

1. Many thanks for your assistance. In my opinion, E52 controller keys is better than E75's. I have no problem using the D-Pad, it's spaced correctly.

2. Smart-dial integrates itself with the built-in contact database. It will search the name corresponding to the keypad pressed in T9 style. So, if you want to search A.S.R.I, you just type 2, 7, 7, 4 ;-)

3. I used E51 before. Hardware-wise, E52 is better but the E51's strength is the darker colour and it looks indestructible while the E52 looks very luxurious and "bling-bling", you know what I mean... ;-)

I agree. Nokia Messaging is still too rough for heavy use. I'll write separate article for that ;-)

Anyway, If any of you guys are interested to buy new E52 Malaysian version, email me asri at i-symbian.com. I can get it at good price ;-)

Old 24-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Unregistered

The N97Compass is compatible with the E52, it's just works smoothly on mine.

Old 24-08-2009, 09:01 AM

xxnoelziexx is on a distinguished road
Someone has made a plugin which works with the E52/E55 already just need to follow instructions. PM and will send you the details.

My two phones work perfect with my macbook now.