All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There you go again "they have positioned it". You are following what they are saying. Look at the thing for yourself, it's a small car with a small engine and not much space for carrying things and fairly basic on equipment. Mini One can be had for under 12K brand new and one the road in the UK, about the same as a Ford Fiesta.

Mini doesn't really have any status. It's got a bit of a fashion thing going on, but not status. It's not expensive, it's not the lowest end but to suggest it is premium is BS. It is the BMW mass market brand that allows them to sell cheap without devaluing the slightly more expensive 116.

You are the marketing mans dream.

Product positioning is an important part of the sales strategy. All companies do it. For instance, Nokia is not positioning the N8 as an "iPhone killer" but as a high/mid-range phone.

MINI is a bit of an aberration for BMW. They kept it when they scuttled Rover because they thought it could be a niche product with little risk of cannibalization (unlike MG or Land Rover, which they sold/spun off). It turned out to be an "accidental" hit for them. BMW is their core brand, and it isn't like MINI is the "entry level" into the BMW family. BMW seeks luxury and performance buyers who might otherwise purchase an Audi, Lexus, or Mercedes. MINI's relationship to BMW is different from that of Skoda/VW/Audi. Clearly, Skoda and VW are the "bread-and-butter" products while Audi is the "aspirational" product that is not that much different under the hood, but which has a premium price and positioning. BMW and MINI are very different and not much is made of the corporate relationship. VW's marketing intent is that people move up from a VW Golf to an Audi A3 or A4. BMW's business model doesn't depend on people "moving up up" from a MINI to a 1-series or 3-series.

There isn't really a direct comparison to MINI in the phone market. If Apple came out with an "iPhone Nano" that was a surprise hit, that would be the closest.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

handsets

Nokia have got to thank there budget touch screens mobiles that theres sales are above average or they would be in loads of problems,an now we are getting budget Android mobiles this will be putting more pressure on Nokia,an if the Quality of Nokia budget handsets improves then they do not have to worry,but Plastic from Nokia an using the same body all the time but just a putting different number better change as people will start to get annoyed an then switch to other types,so Nokia better change there ideas or Android mobiles will attract there customers

Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
I wish people would get a clue about 'GPS'. The Android phones lock indoors because they're using Google's excellent Wi-Fi positioning.

*GPS DOES NOT WORK INDOORS* It relies on line of sight to satellites whizzing around the sky.

So saying an Android phone has a better GPS because you can 'get a lock in your kitchen' just shows ignorance, I'm afraid.

With care, if you haven't moved since your last GPS lock and if it wasn't too long ago, you can usually get a GPS lock sitting next to a window, assuming the handset can still see 3 or 4 satellites through the bit of sky that's available.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I wish people would get a clue about 'GPS'. The Android phones lock indoors because they're using Google's excellent Wi-Fi positioning.

*GPS DOES NOT WORK INDOORS* It relies on line of sight to satellites whizzing around the sky.

So saying an Android phone has a better GPS because you can 'get a lock in your kitchen' just shows ignorance, I'm afraid.

With care, if you haven't moved since your last GPS lock and if it wasn't too long ago, you can usually get a GPS lock sitting next to a window, assuming the handset can still see 3 or 4 satellites through the bit of sky that's available.

Regardless, Nokia's positioning methods are not very good. They made much about their A-GPS but it didn't deliver on its promises.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:54 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Regardless, Nokia's positioning methods are not very good. They made much about their A-GPS but it didn't deliver on its promises.
Really? Its always worked fine on the N95, N85 and 5230. Never had a problem with any of them.

And somehow sportstracker gets a lock on in seconds.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsepz_011 View Post
I dont use wi-fi,and my Android is set to GPRS/EDGE only,and it gets a lock faster than my 5800 which i usualy have to go and set to 3G/HSDPA, this is in the house and i a car with both,i sometimes have to wait upto 5mins before my 5800 locks,my X10 is up and already telling me where to go within a minute,had the same result when up against N97.
My N82 usually gets a lock within a minute with a-gps turned off. My 5800 though, totally sucks. In 5 months that I owned it, I never managed to get a lock under 5 minutes without a-gps. With a-gps, it was still very slow. My X10 locks fast, but not better than my N82. I have no need for a-gps with the N82.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nokia have got to thank there budget touch screens mobiles that theres sales are above average or they would be in loads of problems,an now we are getting budget Android mobiles this will be putting more pressure on Nokia,an if the Quality of Nokia budget handsets improves then they do not have to worry,but Plastic from Nokia an using the same body all the time but just a putting different number better change as people will start to get annoyed an then switch to other types,so Nokia better change there ideas or Android mobiles will attract there customers
While budget Androids are sleek with better UI, they're nowhere near budget Symbian in terms of features with good cameras, better screen resolution, free navigation, better music & video performance, etc.
Ads

Old 10-08-2010, 02:46 PM

user47alpha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
While budget Androids are sleek with better UI, they're nowhere near budget Symbian in terms of features with good cameras, better screen resolution, free navigation, better music & video performance, etc.
Please give examples.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsepz_011 View Post
SE X10 Mini and Mini Pro are better at all those except Hi res display. A lil X10mini will handle high quality avi/divx/xvid even better than a N97/mini/X6 thanks to software like Rockplayer and YXPlayer.
I disagree. I think the Nokias are better music players. They can handle high quality avi/divx too with smartmovie. Out of the box, the Nokias handle high quality mp4 flawlessly. Budget Androids go no higher than QVGA. I was actually looking for a budget Android last month but none satisfies. In the end, I settled for an X10 (the not so mini version)

Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 PM
iFanboy

Quote:
I disagree. I think the Nokias are better music players. They can handle high quality avi/divx too with smartmovie. Out of the box, the Nokias handle high quality mp4 flawlessly. Budget Androids go no higher than QVGA. I was actually looking for a budget Android last month but none satisfies. In the end, I settled for an X10 (the not so mini version)
lol,

"Unregistered
Regarding the speed of the C6 music library refresh: how much music did you put on the device?
I have 20+Gb of music on a 32Gb, class 2 microSDHC card, and I recently tried using my 6220c as my primary music player, but the library refresh time made it unfeasible.
You mention that this is a problem on "most" S60 handsets. On which S60 handsets is this not a problem? Is the library refresh speed mainly a function of processor speed and/or RAM?
Cheers.

slitchfield
The library refresh problem (as in takes an eternity) happens on just the X6 32GB and N97, also 32GB. I think it's an issue with the chips Nokia are using. 8-(

This shouldn't be confused with the 'library refresh takes ages with 20GB to index' issue you have - this is normal and only has to be done once. I'd guess about 90 minutes for that much music?

skinny
(I'm the poster of the music library refresh query)
Yeah the first refresh was epic, but also there was a significant (a minute or so) delay every time I opened the music player app and also significant (30secs or so) delays when browsing the music library (ie when opening an album/artist folder).
My memory's a bit foggy on this tho... I'll try again tonight and see how bad the delays really were.
I'm considering getting an E72 and I'd really like to use it as my music player. Do you have any experience using the E72 in such a way with a similar amount of music?"

2 HOURS to refresh a music library?!!?!? 30 SECONDS to view album art?!?!?!

And you think that is BETTER?! lmao!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:46 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post

Hi Steve, of course I am aware of Googles wifi positioning - what with all the recent street view controversy etc; I listen to your podcasts you know . Anyway, perhaps you could try this at home.

1. Buy the LG540 Optimus (only 99.99 at CarphoneWarehouse).

2. Enable GPS.

3. Launch the preinstalled Layar AR app, select the 'property finder' layer and then point the phone to your window and watch GPS kick in to action. Ok so you have to be close to the window to get a lock but fact is that I cannot reproduce the same when using Ovi Maps on the more expensive Nokia 5800. Even worse than not finding a lock (take a long time outdoors on the 5800) is the fact that Ovi Maps database is woefully out of date, whats the point in having preinstalled maps, vector graphics etc if it leads me to the wrong destination ?

Nokia has got a lot of work to do to catch up and I hope you will air the grieviances expressed on this forum to the powers that be at Nokia. I am only trying to help. Thank you Sir.

ps
BTW How is the GPS lock on your iPad using layar AR app in the same scenario, any good ? or do you have to hold it differently to get a lock? . Lol

Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Really? Its always worked fine on the N95, N85 and 5230. Never had a problem with any of them.

And somehow sportstracker gets a lock on in seconds.

My N95 took minutes to get a lock, if ever. My N85 was marginally better, but Google Maps always got a lock (as in the true position) a bit quicker than Nokia Maps. The N97 was acceptable, but it still took longer to get a lock than my Nexus One.