All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-12-2007, 06:26 PM

Barrister is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Pls HElp! Urgent

Dear All

Pls help this is somewhat urgent for me!

i have a e90 on vodafone - and i got this phone unlocked to take my orange sim.

For work purposes i have had to take out a Line 2. The problem that i have is that the e90 does not seem to recognise Line 2. When i swap the sim into, for example my samsung a850 or g600 (both orange phones) they pick up line 1 and line 2.

futher, when the sim is in my e90 and i call Line 2 from another phone, it goes stright to answerphone, while in the other phones it rings.

Can someone pls help me -

Thanks!

Old 18-12-2007, 04:38 PM

paradise00 is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I had an unlocked Vodafone Nokia E90 for a short period of time (I managed to return it) and had exactly the same problem. I spoke to Nokia and they said that even though the phone is unlocked, Vodafone (and other operators) have stripped out many of the phone's features including Line 2 (logical as only Orange offer this service). Nokia did assure me that the phone is capable of supporting Line 2 and even Orange have confirmed this (despite the fact that they intend never to stock the phone).

You might be able to change the E90's product code using NSS (I am no expert but there are plenty of posts on the web) and this MAY enable Line 2 but ... I don't know of anyone that has done this and you might also invalidate the manufacturer's guarantee in the process.

If you are able to return the phone to whence it came, I would strongly advise doing so. Unlocking the phone does not necessarily enable all of its features. If you are unable to return it, you could try the steps above bearing in mind the various provisos.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help - I truly sympathise having been through the same predicament.

Good luck ...

Old 18-12-2007, 05:10 PM

And one other comment, whilst this is still in my mind. If you buy an o2 unlocked E90, you will still have the same problem of not being able to use Line 2 for the same reasons as above. It was something that Nokia mentioned on the phone when I asked them about this problem.

I think that the bottom line is that if you want the all-singing all-dancing E90, your best bet is to buy one that has not been previously branded....

Old 19-12-2007, 04:07 AM

ganjamanuss is on a distinguished road
Web Link ...

its not that hard to reflash your E90 to a non branded unit . .

theres a post somewhere on page 2 or 3 of this forum on how to do it

takes 10 minutes, not gonna promise that will give you line two !

there used to be some software that activated line 2 features on some nokia phones, wonder if that still works, doubt it but anyway :-)

Old 19-12-2007, 09:47 AM

I also checked into the line 2 activation software. You're right that it used to work but the developer said that they haven't been able to get it to work with the latest E series phones.

I would guess that Nokia could do it but I suspect that you'd have to send it away to them for a while. If replacing it is not an option, that might be the safest bet ...
Ads

Old 20-12-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the Info! However, unable to return the phone, had it for to long. :(

Perhaps i can speak to Nokia and ask for cost and time implications??

Not sure if i want my phone anymore! :(

I tried to look for the 'reflashing' thread but cld not find it?

thanks anyhow

regards

Old 28-12-2007, 03:42 PM

cgrosu is on a distinguished road
what is this 'line 2'? could you please describe the functionality you expect?
are you talking about dual number? I use a e90, bought from Vodafone and i have 2 phone numbers on the same SIM Card

Old 28-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
It all depends what product code you have on your E90.

I had exactly the same problem with my N95 not being able to use the Line 2.

Find out the Orange product code (or the generic Nokia one, which has Line 2 support) for the E90. Change to this product code using NSS. Re-install the firmware using Nokia Software Updater.

You will get Line 2 back, you just need the correct product code with Line2 support, but I'm not sure where you would find that out from.

**EDIT** You need to ask for an E90 Product Code with ALS Support. Maybe PM user shuurajou http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...r.php?u=131927 as he found an N95 code with ALS for me.

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_R; 28-12-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Old 29-12-2007, 03:24 AM

mjlaris is on a distinguished road
Just change the product core, it's really very easy. Just download the NSS software, change the product code to a generic code and then use the Nokia software updater to load the generic firmware. If you have problems pm me and I'll step you through it.

Mark

Old 29-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaris View Post
Just change the product core, it's really very easy. Just download the NSS software, change the product code to a generic code and then use the Nokia software updater to load the generic firmware. If you have problems pm me and I'll step you through it.

Mark
The main problem is finding a product code that has ALS support built in which is what Line2 uses.

Does anyone know of a list of E90 product codes? I had a quick look about and couldnt find anything half decent

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 23-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaris View Post

Mark

can you help please?

Regards

Old 24-03-2008, 09:28 AM

shoppy is on a distinguished road
I am using my vodafone unlocked E90 and have unbranded you can use the standard UK mocha code.

Old 24-03-2008, 03:02 PM

my phone is unlocked. so if i unbrand i can use line 2 (ALS). how do i do that?

thanks

Old 24-03-2008, 06:11 PM

leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister View Post
my phone is unlocked. so if i unbrand i can use line 2 (ALS). how do i do that?

thanks
Go on google: type 'e90 product code' the first article that comes up lists the product codes. Any Euro code will be fine.

Google again: type nss, the download you're after will have a url with something like 'b-prheaks' in it. Download this software, unrar and install.

Ensuring you have nokia pc suite installed connect your e90 in pc suite mode. Open nss. Somewhere in one of the tabs will be 'product code' and a tick box saying 'enable'. Put the new code in here then select the 'write' button. The application will say 'done' at the bottom, if not try again.

Run nokia software updater: it will see your handset now as a generic euro model and allow the latest update