All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-05-2003, 04:33 PM

Problem with 3650 - phone doesn't boot!

I have been playing a little bit with my 3650. I have created a directory (C:\system\Fonts) and put a .gdr font (supposedly Arabic) there. When I rebooted the phone, it could not boot. It starts, but then the display blinks and the phone goes dead!

I have taken my phone to the local agent for Nokia. They claim that they have tried reformatting the phone and installing new software. They said that the phone is rejecting any software updates. They claim that the only solution is to change a piece (for Bluetooth), but they don't have in stock now. It will take about two weeks for this part to arrive.

I don't mind paying for this part. But I don't know how a software change could affect the hardware in this manner.

If this was a PC, I would've made a safe-boot. Then I would've removed the offending file and directory. Rebooted the PC and the problem would've gone!

Is there anyway of doing something like this on my phone?

Is the Nokia agent right? Is that the only thing I can do?

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Old 17-05-2003, 04:38 PM

jimmy-floyd is on a distinguished road
If you went to offical Nokia service,or Nokias subsidialer,they are always right.I cant do anything,just wait.

Old 17-05-2003, 04:48 PM

YOU should wait.You shouldnt did ths,such operations MUST be done in service centeres.

Old 17-05-2003, 09:09 PM

energy is on a distinguished road
I doubt that the font caused this. There is some problems with chip on 3650, that 'burns' out and then phone won't work correctly (wont boot, crashes, etc.).

Old 18-05-2003, 01:29 AM

ST@RR is on a distinguished road
same thing happened to me... phone still won't start even if flashed by a software. I don't know what's wrong also. But I suggest you listen to NOKIA... they know better than we do!

Old 18-05-2003, 05:07 AM

Thank you for all the responses...

I was not really expecting this willingness to help, but I am somehow disappointed with the replys. Usually users would challenge manufacturers and find solutions for all kinds of problems...

Anyway. I'll wait and see...

What hapenned to your phone ST@RR? Is it completely dead? What about the Nokia dealer? Were they of any help?

I just wonder what is best for Nokia? Solve simple software problem or make life very complicated, scare users and only offer expensive hardware solutions?

Old 18-05-2003, 10:18 AM

THIS IS 90% SOFTWARE PROBLEM,If you havent drop the phone.SO THIS BUG can be fixed.

Old 18-05-2003, 11:47 AM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
Did you tell the guy at the NSC that you had been screwing with your files?
If it's this that screwed your phone it's quite possible the guy has backed up your phone - flashed the firmware then restored your data and in doing so has put the problem straight back on.

Ask him to delete ALL the data on the phone when he does the update..
May just do the trick if it is a software problem..

Best

Will.

Old 18-05-2003, 11:48 AM

That's more like it jimmy-floyd.

No. I have not dropped the phone. All I did was a power-off then power-on after creating the directory and putting the font (.gdr) file.

Now, all I need are suggestions on how fix this!!

Old 18-05-2003, 11:54 AM

Thank you willbrady. I beleive that they tried deleting all data from the phone. But, I think that this is worth while trying. I will give them a call and try to find out more on what they are trying to do!

I am open for other suggestions, as I really think that a 'fonts' directory in the 'c:\system' folder and adding a font is not really part of the 'data' that any one would try to backup before formatting and updating the software on the phone

Old 18-05-2003, 11:55 AM

Have you tried booting in safe mode.
Hold down the pencil key whilst switching on..

How far does your phone get are you able to try to reset it yourself *#7370# I think is the code.

Good luck - there's sure to be an answer I've done much worse to my phone and been able to recover it

Best

Will

Old 18-05-2003, 12:00 PM

Aha... there is a safe mode boot!!

I think I will get my phone and try this while waiting for the part ordered by the local dealer as a final solution.

I will let you know what happens.

Thank you.

Old 18-05-2003, 01:18 PM

ST@RR is on a distinguished road
my phone is dead... it won't boot even if they flash it so many times. Still at the nokia service center. They haven't called me yet about my phone though... so, I don't know what's wrong with it.

There's a safe mode??? Damn... I didn't know that! I should've tried that before sending my phone back to the retailer! :roll:

Old 19-05-2003, 10:00 AM

The safe mode boot did not work. Has anybody tried this before on a 3650?!! Maybe I am doing something wrong...

Today, I got access to the workshop of the local dealer. I managed to talk to the technicians and look into what they were trying to do. I think I know by now what is the problem:

They are able to start software upgrade manually (flashing the 3650) even when it is off. The process continues for sometime and then the system would prompt for powering up the phone. But that does not work and the same thing happens. Further discussion with the technicians made me realize that software update is only re-programming drive "Z", but not affecting any other dive. My problem is with drive "C".

I believe that when the 3650 boots from drive "Z" and through the process of initialization tries to read the font that I have put into C:\SYSTEM\FONTS directory, gets an unexpected error and because of no proper error handling, it decides it can not continue the start-up process!

Now, if I can only find a way to format drive "C" and delete its content while the phone is still off. Or if there was a way I could get the "safe mode" to work.

Any help will be appreciated!

Old 19-05-2003, 10:19 AM

Heres a long shot.

Flash the phone with a Chinese firmware.
This MAY let the phone boot up using the Chinese fontset rather than the one you put on - this will get you into a position where you can re-format drive c: with *#7370#
and then flash it back to English Firmware...

Somehow you need it NOT to use that Font, just so you can get the phone powered up to re-format..
I guess safe mode does not work because it still needs that font when booting...

Good luck!!