All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Unregistered

Too much time and energy is wasted discussing what is and isn't a smartphone.

It doesn't matter. It's pointless worrying about it. Only about 0.0000001% of the population of the world gives a s***.

Old 24-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The N8, kicks the living shit out of all the Android devices currently available.
Of course it does, and the iPhone 4 too (not difficult). Some of us never doubted that I'm glad to see others realising it.

People believed the hype about rival platforms and just don't seem to get it - Symbian really is the best mobile OS out there by a long way, Apple and Google really are amateurs at mobile devices and mobile OSes, and Nokia really are pro's after doing it for years. Yes, they had a little slip up in the UI dept for a short while. Yes they will come back and OWN the high end (as the N8 and N9 will show), mid range (as the N8 and other lower-mid-range S^3 devices will show) and low end (as the lovely little device above shows).

Some of us never lost faith

Old 24-08-2010, 02:25 PM
_fakefur

wow @delusional and @delusional-er ... yes nokia have a lot of experience and yes they used to be the top dog in the smartphone market but they aren't anymore ... not because i say so or because ppl here say so but because they have lost the hearts and minds of developers and the buzz that used to be around them when the N95 was lanuched ... much like microsoft these days not many people outside of the fanboys really care when they launch something new anymore as the last several releases have been somewhat disappointing to say the least ... of course "they can always get right back in the game and be top again" just like microsoft can ... but it hasn't happened yet and the longer they take to release something that actually wows the market the harder it will be for them

"oh that stupid android and iOS stuff is soooooooooo america ... what about the rest of the world?" you say ... well how much of the internet as we see it is based in america? created by american companies? and the whole world follows and uses it no?

facebook twitter myspace youtube google etc etc you get my point

the tech industry in america drives the world more and more and ignoring it (orworse, saying it is irrelevant) is quite silly to say the least

having been a nokia user for years (i still have my N86) i got an android phone 4 months ago and it has been a revelation ... the apps available make it the most flexible mobile device i have ever owned and i am loving the integration of those apps into the whole device experience ... nothing like it exists on nokia phones currently

of course my N86 has a camera that is so far ahead of anything on any android device to date that it is quite painful and i do still use it as a camera ... both video and pics ... but apart from that i have moved my htc desire to being my main device and it is working for me

just my 2c worth

Old 24-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, sure it's a smart phone (barely), but it's not in the same market segment as Super Phones, like the Evo or iPhone 4,

Old 24-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The N8, kicks the living shit out of all the Android devices currently available. Just had my hands on it again. Wow....and it is not even Nokia's flagship device. Supposedly that is supposed to be the N9 at the end of the year. Screw that, I am getting a N8 right now!
Could you lend me your time traveling DeLorean, so that I also can let people know how a device that isn't even shipping until October at the earliest is better than stuff that's on the market *right now*?

K? Thanks.

Old 24-08-2010, 05:51 PM
KPOM

Naturally, Nokia will sell a ton of these to the feature phone market, which will bolster their market share numbers. Market share has never been Nokia's problem.

I think we are clearly seeing that Symbian is Nokia's replacement for S40. MeeGo will be what does battle with Android and iOS. Symbian is basically a glorified feature phone OS that will compete in markets where Android and iOS don't. Sure, there will be a few higher end Symbian phones (N8), but they seem to be stopgaps while MeeGo is in development.

Old 24-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
KPOM

I kinda disagree, looks alot more like Nokia is going for a standard OS and feel on it's range of smart phones. They have already stated there could be a Symbian^4 N series device.

like mentioned in the last podcast, it will allow them to roll out firmware updates quicker and provide an easier upgrade route for it's clients in terms of familiarity with the OS. Anyone who has used Symbian^1 will be equally at home with Symbian^3 and 4.

I suspect there will be one or two more Symbian^1 devices, then a few more Symbian^3, like C7 and E7 etc.

Old 24-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Smartphone means Open OS

I think a good definition of a smartphone is one that runs open os - i.e. native APIs open for developers to make aaps for a user to install. Native apps, not just MIDP Java. But generally the world is shifting so that it does not make that much sense any more to use the word smartphone. Especially since the non-smartphones are getting better also - e.g. X3 touch&type.

Old 24-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Symbian is basically a glorified feature phone OS that will compete in markets where Android and iOS don't.
Why? Specifically.

Old 24-08-2010, 10:29 PM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Why? Specifically.
Because all indication is that is where they are headed.

They have hinted that the N8 isn't their new flagship, and that MeeGo devices will be announced by the end of the year. They have also started using the term "superphone," apparently recognizing that the "smartphone/featurephone" distinction is being blurred as technology advances.

As Android is starting to move to the midmarket, Nokia is looking to move further downmarket with Symbian (mostly with the aging Symbian^1).

While there will be some commonality between Symbian^4 and MeeGo because of the commong QT platform, note that it will be a stretch to think that Nokia's Symbian^1 positioning at the low end really plays into that strategy. Symbian^4 is yet another compatibility break (with Symbian^3 being the temporary bridge), as it relies on QT. However, Symbian^4 (and Symbian^3 for that matter) will not run on devices like the 5250, at least for the foreseeable future.

With the common development platform, plus MeeGo's Linux underpinnings (better suited to the "superphones" and tablet devices to compete with the likely iOS devices) it becomes difficult to see what Symbian^4's role is long term.

Rafe suggests as much with his earlier comments about how the Symbian/MeeGo split is appearing "shrewd" (if, IMO, somewhat accidental). Clearly, Symbian is optimized for lower-end hardware, while MeeGo is better suited to the newer devices down the pipeline with dual core processors and lots of RAM. Symbian was never intended for such powerful devices, so it makes more sense for Nokia to go in a different direction. Given how long it has taken for Symbian to evolve into the touch device market (recall the early announcements were made shortly after the original iPhone debuted), it's clear that it has proven more difficult to adapt than anticipated.

Surely Nokia would rather have had an OS like Symbian^3 a year or even two years ago, with Symbian^4 coming out now. But they didn't. They are now finally entering Q4-10 with an OS that addresses consumer perception that Symbian was behind Android and iOS.

Nokia's semi-retraction of its earlier intimation that future N-series devices would be MeeGo-only seems more like a temporary reaction to avoid scaring developers away. They need developers to embrace Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 since that will be their bread and butter until MeeGo hits the mainstream. Long term, it seems pretty clear that Nokia sees MeeGo as their ticket back to preeminence at the high end.

Old 24-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

Sounds like many comments coming from the AAS team who are unregistered. The only thing the N8 will kick is their own arse. They will realise it takes more than N8 and N9 to recapture the high end market. I haven't even looked at the N8 as an option and I'm only into high end phones.

Old 24-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sounds like many comments coming from the AAS team who are unregistered. The only thing the N8 will kick is their own arse. They will realise it takes more than N8 and N9 to recapture the high end market. I haven't even looked at the N8 as an option and I'm only into high end phones.

Good for you.

Now the rest of us that have already realised that the N8 is a mid range phone can get on with our lives.

Nokia have more than the N8 and N9 in the pipeline.

Old 25-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Also, why would you buy this when a 5230 can be had for about 60-80 anyway, including 3G and GPS and card slot? My kids aren't going to want this as Facebook will be slow and there's no space for music or pictures.
But this does have a card slot for your music or pictures.

Old 25-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds like many comments coming from the AAS team who are unregistered.
Don't be silly. AAS writers will ALWAYS use their own logins. And you all know my opinion on letting people post while 'unregistered'....

Old 25-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

nokia

We always get budget mobiles from Nokia as that seems to be the market that they are bothered about winning,but with Nokia losing touch in the Top Smartphone its that Section they have got to show improvement,People are getting Frustrated with Nokia an the N8,it got people really excited about the N8 in April when we first saw it,but why? have Nokia announced the Official release date yet an the N8 gets delayed all the Time,Nokia will be getting loads of Question targeted at them about the N8,an if it takes them 7 months to get the N8 finally released,how are they going to Compete in the Top Smartphone market,like to see how long we will see the Meego N9 as we have seen images of the phone already an i bet its not released by the 2nd Quarter of 2011,way to long for Nokia,Why are Nokia always to Slow Amazes loads of People