All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-08-2004, 01:55 PM

jbourne is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP! Phone just turns off by itself..

Could someone help me with my p900.. the phone just turns off by itself.. i dont know what's the problem.. it just turns off regularly even if it is fully charged.. please help..

another question, should i wait for the battery to drain before charging?.. is it ok to charge the phone even if it has 20% battery life?

thanks!

jason

Old 19-08-2004, 08:41 AM
scotty

Did you ever get any response to this?

I am having the same problem. The service centre seems to think the phone is fine, but clearly it is not.

Has anyone else what any drama's?

Regards,
Scott

Old 26-08-2004, 07:55 PM

pcofranc is on a distinguished road
My Nokia 3650 Turns off - Turns itself off

My Nokia 3650 Turns itself off too. It runs the symbian OS and I have sceen various Symbian OS phones with the same problem including freezing.

I contacte T-Mobile today - I'm still under warranty - and they said if I have 2 warranty exchanges within 90 days I am elgible to trade to a different but equilivant model. I'm on my 3rd 3660 (with two different batteries) and still have the same issue. I believe the issue has something to do with Symbian but info does not flow and may people even at tmobile repair and nokia claim to never have even heard of this wide spread problem.

Everyone universally says the same things: It's probably the battery, or it is lose - No it is NOT the battery folks. I own 5 nokia cellphones and have a fried with a 4 yr old samsung where the battery lasts only 10 minutes on a call!! An that phone never just shuts itself off while on the shelf or plugged into the charger - lol. It's not the battery - so lets look elsewhere for the problem ok?

Good luck.

My review ranks #1 in Google: Key words: "nokia 3650" turns itself off

http://www.epinions.com/content_134459395716

Search for key word "turns itself off"
http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/r...nokia-3650.htm

Old 30-08-2004, 04:48 PM

Jason,

It is ok. The old Ni-Cad batteries need to be dischaged fully before charging - this is called a "memory" Li-Ion Ni-Mh nickle metal hydride DO NOT have memory. This means it is ok to charge any time and any %. Basically, there are no rules to charging the modern cell ph batteries.

is it ok to charge the phone even if it has 20% battery life?

thanks!

jason[/quote]

Old 31-08-2004, 06:42 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
I don't think the Px00 batteries have problems with charging, as I usually put my phone on the cradle everyday (which starts charging) at office.. and the battery still gives me 2-3 days usage after more than a year!

Old 01-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Terry

I wish you hadn't said anything

I changed to a P900 from a selection of Nokias because they kept turning themselves off - I thought it was a Nokia problem.

Until I read your post yesterday, my P900 had not done this - you've jinxed me, I've just looked at my phone and it has turned off some time earlier this morning %^%&*&*$%^^$*%&*&(!!!!!

If it's a Symbian problem then I'm knackered, as a "Son of Psion" I wouldn't want anything else. Windows is right out - perhaps I need a Palm based smartphone.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 PM

Terry,

I know *Exactly* how you feel!! And I am so sorry you are experiencing this ultimately vexing problem - especially for people like us that take the time to learn new technology and like everything to be "just so".

It clearly is a bigger problem then just Nokia and just 3650. I have sceen a few (not many) of other brand Symbian OS phones that have the exact same turn off problem.

If it helps....

My 4th nokia 3650 arrived last week and it reports the following firmware info:

V 3.16 05-20-2003 NHL-8

Everything including video & sound is working ok. So far the phone has run for 6 days without turning off. T-Mobile also sent me a different battery so now I have 2 Batteries. If it works ok and the turn off problem has gone away then I probably won't do anything except leave well enough alone.

Paul
ps - I am thinking about making a simple web page where everyone with the turn off problem (esp on Nokia phones and esp on 3650/60/20's etc can log info and be in contact to make a complaint with Nokia. It's going to hurt their business if left unchecked. People like us are the ~ 2% of cell phone users that take on the considerable tech and time challenge to learn these phones and test them.

Email with your thoughts in addition to posting here:

pcofranc + (TheAtSymbol)

ajsdfl;ajsdfl;jkad;lfskjasd;flkja;dslfjasd

+ wecandobetter +

asjdflajdf;lasdfj

+ com