All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsepz_011 View Post
Th
As for Android, its not everyones cup of tea. What makes it better? Well the openess and the quality of apps and games which destroy symbian. Even little things like 3rd party apps being able to access hardware, e.g. the MailDroid app,ive set it to make the LED flash Blue when i get new Emails, little things like that just make it much better to use, IMO.
Well that's not really much of a case for Android, and it that's the best to offer then you have proven my point. There is nothing special about Android. Hardly destroys Symbian at all.

5800 did the LED flashing notification thing in the centre of the middle button years ago in its V11 firmware. That's Symbian doing that, not a third party app. Symbian has quality apps for everything that I need. I acknowledge that the lack of graphics acceleration on a lot of Nokia devices has hindered game development, but that's a hardware problem, not Symbian.

Have people not realised that having thousands of crap apps available does not make things better. I've lost count of the number of shite things I've downloaded from Apple App store and Android market and then immediately deleted. I've given up bothering these days.

I regret buying a Desire, Android really is a poor effort.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ovi Maps certainly is decent,il give you that,although having my X10 and 5800 side by side it seems the Android is more accurate,more aware of my surroundings, and locks to GPS a lot faster.
LOL having a 5800 and Google navigation platform like the Desire side by side I frequently can't see the maps on the Google. There is no contest there, I wouldn't trust Android nav.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Yes I concur I have an app for everything I need as well, even testing a nice native foursquare client that has quite a few features missing currently however.

The quality of alot of the symbian apps is fantastic and things will only get better.

QT is cross platform and the developers I have spoke to love it and say it makes developing for Symbian alot easier and they expect a big developer craze around it over the next year.

X10 getting a quicker gps lock, maybe it has a bigger gps aerial? would that not account for it? My Vivaz gets a gps lock in about 20 secs and it's a tiny phone so the aerial must be small too.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM

marxian is on a distinguished road
The adoption of Qt has been a big pull factor in my decision to concentrate my future development efforts on Maemo/Meego/Symbian. Fingers crossed that the 'write once, deploy everywhere' promise matches the reality. Having used Qt to write desktop applications, I am quite impressed with it. I was originally intending to focus more on the Android platform, but my experience with the Desire has dulled my enthusiasm, and I am in this for love, not money. Using Android reminds me of KDE: a widget for everything, when it makes more sense to acess the function from an easily accessible menu. The need to download 'apps' to get functions that are standard on Maemo and Symbian is also annoying. Lastly, how do you close an application in Android? Answer: you can't. Enjoy your shiny toy phones, gentlemen.

Android great YouTube and gmail clients, but the attraction ends there for me.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM

user47alpha is on a distinguished road
As for the GPS-thing: The 5800 (and maybe all of Nokias phones coming from this platform) has a very very very very poor GPS-chip. I can only hope that we do not need to see such a *****-gps-chip again.
But thats Nokias poor hardwarechoice (which made a lot of cool apps unusable on my 5800), not Symbian.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Unregistered

Tsepz_011, you are living in yesterday of Symbian

The new phones with QT enabled should have widgets in home screen, according to my testing with N8. More widgets are coming available as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

Tsepz_011,

On n8, you can also monitor cpu , mem usage and a lot of more stuff for techy people...

You'd better try N8 out yourself after it is released. Never underestimate Nokia as it is the world leader for mobile phone industry!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:11 AM

marxian is on a distinguished road
@Tsepz_011

So to close an app, you must install an app. Hilarious. You couldn't make it up. Any operating system should have that facility as standard.

I am not using Symbian atm, since my main device is the N900, but what I miss when using the Desire is, for example, the ability to easily change settings, such as wifi, via the top panel. I don't want to use widgets to access basic functions, since these are only acessible when the homescreen is visible. On N900, I can change the wifi connection, profile etc without minimizing any open application.

It's clear that my usage differs from yours. I want mobile computing. Android does not give me that.

Last edited by marxian; 08-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I would like to just congradulate you for completely missing the point and not reading my post after that,well done,next time read over and over again until you understand.
Reading through here its clear many of you dont understand or have used Android. We have BOTH a widget for everything and a great menu. The point of a widget is to get quick access to your Music player or simply browse news or statuses without having to launch the whole app. I have both a FB and Tweetcaster widget in my right side homescreen,if im waiting to board a plane, waiting at a docs room i can quickly just scroll through some statuses or quickly post one,without booting the entire app. I also have a weather widget,it updates 8times a day,and has an image as well as info of the weather,so i can give it a quick glimpse without launching an app and waiting for a web page to load etc... this is what widgets are for,not a replacement or fix for anything,just a nice additional option to improve the user experience,exactly why even Symbians got them as well,just not as well implemented.
I suggest you read my post over and over again until you understand the part where I point out that I own a Desire.

And owning that Desire I am well aware of the widgets, and I am underwhelmed. Hardly a wow factor.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Unregistered user with a Desire
I did,but it still seems like you missed my point about the LEDs. Strange i havent found any useless crap in the Market,but the again i usualy go in knowing what im looking for,and i always find it an tons of alternatives to all which similar symbian apps to shreads. Found it laughable that someone here brought up Gravity as a good app, TweetCaster makes mince meat out of it.
I think the LED point was dismissed because it's hardly saving the world having a different colour.

I'm still waiting for someone to show a genuine big step forwards in Android. I can see it plain enough in iPhone OS but Android just a *dull* let down.
Ads

Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 PM

hary536 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by user47alpha View Post
As for the GPS-thing: The 5800 (and maybe all of Nokias phones coming from this platform) has a very very very very poor GPS-chip. I can only hope that we do not need to see such a *****-gps-chip again.
But thats Nokias poor hardwarechoice (which made a lot of cool apps unusable on my 5800), not Symbian.
That's not true. 5800 GPS is quite good according to me.
I don't have data plan and i don't use AGPS, still my 5800's GPS acquires a lock in about 2-5 minutes depending on when and where i turned on the GPS first.

I think's that's acceptable and quite good for a phone GPS without data plan.
I haven't ever tried acquiring GPS fix using data plan so can't comment on that, but i m sure it will be much faster.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Exactly why i said LITTLE things like that.
LOL,if Android is dull im scared to know what Symbian is,especialy S60v5, which has been an absolute embarrassment,roll-on S^3.
That's an easy question to answer. S60V5 is also dull, even duller than Android but only just.
Not an absolute embarrassment though, but themost used in the world.

Those LITTLE things that are supposed to make the difference really don't. It's like someone trying to prive they have a better car because it has more xup holders. Ridiculous.

Many have been set the challenge of proving the worth of Android. All have failed.

All, that is, except Google and the phone makers, who benefit the most long term. It would appear that there are plenty of suckers out there prepared to lap up all the BS.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
T

Those LITTLE things that are supposed to make the difference really don't. It's like someone trying to prive they have a better car because it has more xup holders. Ridiculous.
That should read "prove" and "cup". Crappy Android keyboard, sorry.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

It seems you are in loops of s60. All the story you are talking about was the yesterday. Now we are looking forwarding to s3, s4 and Meego. Get it?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 AM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It seems you are in loops of s60. All the story you are talking about was the yesterday. Now we are looking forwarding to s3, s4 and Meego. Get it?
Well, apparently not since Nokia is still releasing new S^1 devices.

Engadget had a great interview with a Nokia VP on Friday. He said that the N8 was a mid/high range device, as opposed to a high-end device (which is what MeeGo is aiming for). He also said the main reason they were skeptical of Android is that they didn't want to turn control over their OS to Google.

The interview is actually a pretty good read. He points out that the US has gone from one of the smallest smartphone markets in the world to the largest in 2 years (care to guess which operating systems are at the forefront of that?), and that Nokia (and anyone else, for that matter) needs to be strong in the US in order to be strong in the smartphone market. IOW, the entire interview undermines a lot of the apologist arguments often put forth in this forum (e.g. the US is irrelevant, Symbian^1 is "just fine," the N8 is the immediate answer to iPhone 4). Hopefully, the fact that more Nokia execs appear to "get it" means that better things really are on the way. The question is whether these developments will come soon enough. Regarding MeeGo, the only thing promised was an "announcement" prior to year-end.