All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Ramadan application suite is one more small step for Nokia

One we all missed last week, but Nokia have released an updated version of their application suite for Ramadan. Following on from the acclaim of the 2009 release, this year Nokia have gathered everything under a single application. When we talk about Nokia reaching out to customers, this is a wonderful example. See below for details.

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Unregistered

Great article Ewan.

While I am not a daily Nokia user, I can appreciate the effort of the regional guys. I used a Ramadan calendar last year that was also developed from one of the regional teams. It was a great tool. Once again, hats off to Nokia.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

Question

With Ramadan across the corner, i can definitely use this. Question is , will it work on N97?
Ads

Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Smart - Nokia need more of these ways to interact at an emotional level with owners and make them as emotionally dependent on their Nokia device as iPhone owners have become on theirs, mainly thru third party apps but as that scenes not happening yet on Symbian it's behoves Nokia to lead the way and this is a great example. Lets hope this is better than examples in Android Market and can help Nokia get users to explore their phone's abilities as well as being useful to them and associate Symbian with quality apps.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM
iFanboy

Just put "Ramadan" into the AppStore and got over 100 results. Nokia playing catch up? Wjats the point in this, if they had decent (Any!) 3rd party support resources making this app could be used elsewhere where it's needed IMO.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Ara

Article invaded my recommendations list

Ramadan is just 10 days ahead. It's being a while that my recommendations list is invaded by all these applications

Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

I'm no Muslim, and I've only spent some time with the apps in question. So far -- based on the way the contents are presented to the user, I can tell they are really high quality. Well, only muslims can attest how useful/accurate they really are. But again, they're excellent.

Now, how bout some for us Jews?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Mnia786 is on a distinguished road
@ifanboy - Go troll elsewhere or eat a ....
As for the app itself, its very much indepth and is a great effort by Nokia reaching out to its huge Muslim market in the Middle East and Asia. Shows they recognise their users and they are not just a number -.-
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 5800 Ramadan Edition and normal 5800 FW?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
uk_muslim

This is great, but I want to know why I can't get it in the UK. Or can I? I searched for Ramadan in the Ovi Store and it comes up with only one app(!). If anyone knows how to get the sis file for this I'd be delighted to know.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
sorr

a good strategy

Nokia does this move mostly every year, but this year it's much bigger, because Nokia is the Best selling device in all Arab and Middle east land, and it has strong relationship with the Company that develops such software,
it's a good move from Nokia and Good that AAS also noted this story..
i'm muslim and these apps are really important and just amazing.. so much useful to the limit that i depend on it daily together with the OVI suite, that i can never switch to iphone or Android cause of it

Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM
k4bbe

Can somebody please post the sis file or proint us in the right direction to get this as its not listed in the Ovi store here in the uk.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Unregistered

Actual link

http://mea.nokia.com/arabic/campaign/ramadan

Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Localisation

Possibly one reason why Nokia has not made this globally available is to do with fonts - please understand Nokia it is VERY ANNOYING THAT YOU DON'T INCLUDE A UNICODE FONT IN THE FIRMWARE!

The web/email/apps are written in many different languages which, even if you don't live in that country, you are likely to come into contact with. Apple and RIM (not sure about anyone else) get this and include a unicode font as standard!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Any app for us agnostics?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Majedm75

Smile Very Good Apps

These are very good apps. The major drawbacks are the following:
- They are only announced on the Middle East website of Nokia (why? there are Muslims around the globe too).
- They are not available for the rest of the year for free (very expensive to download from their editor website outside the Ramadan period).
These apps were available earlier for free on Nokia's ME website, then moved to Ovi store for free download for some phones and then completely removed from the Ovi store earlier this year.
I had sent their editor e-mails few months ago on 3 occasions to advise them to put them back on Ovi as it gave them more visiblity and reach to the public. Maybe this paid off and I'm glad for it.