All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 03-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Nörde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian 2 View Post
Now? Where? On YouTube videos?
You can download it from symbian.org if you want.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwright View Post
I dunno, even a short term use of Android would be a reasonable idea. I mean, look at the N8, you buy it, hardly any software will be written or converted as devs have no idea if there will be more high end Symbian 3 handsets, at least if they went to Android, there would be 60k apps from Day 1
What are you talking about? Old 5th edition programs work with N8, and new QT programs also. So N8 has the widest selection of programs for it from day1 and the future is secured because of the bundled QT. When I hear the app count argument I usually ask what app is missing from OVI or the Symbian app selection in general. So can you tell me what are you missing. Games, twitter clients?

Can you think what kind of signal a "short term use" of Android would give to markets and consumers? Customers can't even understand that S^3 continues to be supported after S^4 is released. If most of the readers of so called tech sites don't even understand Nokia's 2 OS strategy what would happen if Android is mixed into the soup too.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Unregistered

I do believe that Meego slots in above Android in the grand scheme of things, so it is not really an Android competitor.

I have been using an iPhone for a while, but I have gradually got sick of it, and there is nothing much more to offer from V4, so I went shopping yesterday.

I got me my first Sony Ericsson phone, a tiny X10 mini pro, with a slide out qwerty, what a magic little thing, nicely pocketable, and not an embarrassing huge slab of a thing, yet it does....everything and cost very little (as I traded in my spare Nokia 5530).

What OS does it have? Who cares? Not me, I just want a phone to suit me. And I am like the vast majority of the market. Make a phone that does the job and it will sell. What OS is on it doesn't matter a jot.

And the person that said "a phone without an ecosystem is not a smartphone" is in fact not a smart person. You could barely get a more stupid statement anywhere on the whole WWW. And what the f*** is an "ecosystem" anyway? Something only you 1 percenters care about.

Nokia shouldn't worry about putting extra specs and features on to try and impress geeks (honestly what use is 950xwhatever resolution in a few small inches anyway - couldn't anyone read the old ones?).
Concentrate on making phones that people want and stop panicking about "ecosystems" for the 1 per cent of geeks.
Ads

Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Unregistered

I don't know if anyone has made the connection yet, I didn't bother reading all the post, lol... But sure hope this statement clarifies where Nokia stands with Symbian and now Meego. As far as I can understand by research done on my own; Symbian is still going to be Nokia's primary smartphone OS while Meego will power their mobile computers(Eg. like MID, Netbooks and tablets). Symbian may be old, but it was made to be adaptable; thus the Symbian Foundation was formed to shape the new Symbian. Meego is new, and it is being developed for the purpose of complementing Nokia's entry into Computers and Software(anyone remember the Booklet 3G?). And in order for these platforms to co-exist and compliment each other; QT was aquired from Trolltech. The new QT Developing Environment is the bridge that ties Symbian Smartphones to their Meego Mobile Computers.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Wasn't it Anssi who admitted that the N97 was a failure? Good for him.

With Symbian-Guru.com calling it quits on Symbian the Nokia defenders are few and far in between it seems.

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...m-is-over.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nokia-N8-memory-full.jpg (18.9 KB, 3 views)

Old 03-07-2010, 10:41 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
- The fact that he refuses to mention iOS and Android in this mobile pocket computer space he proclaims with Meego also shows the denial on how Nokia is behind

- there's no doubt that N8 will be a massive hit, but that's mainly due to price point, seems like. If this was priced anywhere near Android or Apple devices, I doubt it will ever fly.
You contradict yourself. If Symbian is so far behind the iPhone why should it be priced the same? You could apply the same spurious argument to S40 devices - if priced at the same level as the iPhone they would not sell therefore they are no good. They are what they are and are priced accordingly.

So, either the N8 is as good as the iPhone and should be at the same price level - in which case it will definitely be a bargain when it comes out - or the N8 is not as good as the iPhone and this is taken into account in the price.

I look forward to seeing the answer when the N8 comes out.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Ian 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nörde View Post
When I hear the app count argument I usually ask what app is missing from OVI or the Symbian app selection in general. So can you tell me what are you missing. Games, twitter clients?
I am missing many things - task/to-do management apps syncing with the cloud (Remember the Milk etc.), internet radio app, Evernote, Dropbox, Google Earth, Read it later/Instapeper, Zinio, Amazon Kindle, LinkedIn, Nokia bluetooth keyboard drivers, ZX Spectrum emulator (not ported from older S60). Do I need to continue?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Ian 2

Quote:
You can download it from symbian.org if you want.
Can't find it. Could you provide a link?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Wasn't it Anssi who admitted that the N97 was a failure? Good for him.

With Symbian-Guru.com calling it quits on Symbian the Nokia defenders are few and far in between it seems.

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...m-is-over.html

Yes, I fear for a future full of dreadful negative people like you.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

This isn't the first time Nokia said the they would fight back. So if they start now, what on earth were they doing before.

And symbian-guru wasn't the only site to quit symbian on July 1.

http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/07/01/...based-devices/

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Unregistered

>Wasn't it Anssi who admitted that the N97 was a failure? Good for him.

I remember that. It was a very honest of him to say that.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Can't find it. Could you provide a link?
http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...g_a_Repository

Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What are you talking about? When I hear the app count argument I usually ask what app is missing from OVI or the Symbian app selection in general. So can you tell me what are you missing. Games, twitter clients?
In no particular order:

- Mobile banking (Wells fargo)
- MLB or NFL applications
- Foursquare
- Bitbop
- Documents To Go (seems to have been killed for Symbian)
- A non-crap facebook application
- A real email client (Nokia messaging blows chunks)

And good god, I can go on and on. Those were off the top of my head, and those are things I've used just recently. You could say that the NFL and MLB apps are americentric, and that'd be fine. I'll stand by the rest.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am missing many things - task/to-do management apps syncing with the cloud (Remember the Milk etc.), internet radio app, Evernote, Dropbox, Google Earth, Read it later/Instapeper, Zinio, Amazon Kindle, LinkedIn, Nokia bluetooth keyboard drivers, ZX Spectrum emulator (not ported from older S60). Do I need to continue?
Just noting that there are loads of Internet Radio apps for S60 5th Edition. And an Evernote client. And Dropbox's mobile site should work. Google Maps w/satellite imagery is native, BT drivers work fine from older S60 versions download.

Though admittedly not all the above are in the 'Ovi Store'. You have to put in a little Googling etc 8-(

A really good ebook system for Symbian would be good though.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Though admittedly not all the above are in the 'Ovi Store'. You have to put in a little Googling etc 8-(

Indeed I would be very unhappy if my app purchases had to be constrained to a single source. Often direct to the authors is a far better way to get new apps.