All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 13-04-2010, 09:39 PM

JCB_Digger is on a distinguished road
Looks a nice device at a competitive price, but it's more like a cheap E75 than a 5800. Will be interested to see the build quality on the keyboard since it's only just thicker than a 5800.

My only niggle would be with the mono speaker on the back - not good for listening to Podcasts (assuming that it's actually GOT Podcasting software)

Old 14-04-2010, 03:29 AM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Processors, RAM etc are not the point. Those waiting for something in the high end will have to be patient a little while longer...
Rafe - the ever present Nokia apologist. Your rants about RAM and processors being not important are getting tiresome mate.

Sad how this once very fine website has now turned into an advertising platform for Nokia.

Old 14-04-2010, 08:07 AM

giggig is on a distinguished road
giggig

Nokia needs to make a 12 mm to 11 mm with 3.2 responsive (either capacitive or resistive but responsive) touch screen, improve on screen qwerty keyboard, make is bigger, bring auto words completion, Multitouch for better typing, that will make me happy being a mid range phone user (addicted to multitasking though since 6600).

i am using Symbian since 5 years and i don't know why unlike many out here, i still very much like Symbian^1 OS, i feel comfortable, and at home using it, double tapping can be avoided but it still don't bother me, may be because i am using Symbian since years and i know how to extract best out of it, i dont find it boring, ancient or dying OS. there is a room for improvement on everything in the world though. Though, i can't understand why another Symbian^1 OS device for people waiting for Symbian^3, can somebody tell me this logic?

Old 14-04-2010, 08:28 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Rafe - the ever present Nokia apologist. Your rants about RAM and processors being not important are getting tiresome mate.

Sad how this once very fine website has now turned into an advertising platform for Nokia.
It's also sad that you NEVER have anything useful to say...

Old 14-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

Rafe was right. Pointing out that this phone spec doesn't have a competitor at the price, and that the N8*00 phone isn't out yet.

What's wrong with that?

There is no Nokia apologist theme to this site. Some people just can't accept that Nokia doesn't do things to suit them. All this advertising platform BS is so boring, get a life.

Old 14-04-2010, 12:17 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
N8*00 should put Symbian back high end. N900 isn't really a wider market device because it is aimed as a toy for geeks. There's no sign of anything Meego at the moment. That might end up on a Nokia Pad type device.
A good few years back, rumours were that Nokia were intending to bring out a higher end N800 type device with GSM capabilities, and that Symbian would be developed to replace S40.

That is now finally happening. I very much doubt that the rumoured N8*00 will truly be high end, although it may well be that on imaging.

Nokia could well do a pad type device, the OS (Symbian) is easily up to the task. But somehow I doubt they'll go for that market. Yet.

Old 14-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

next unopened

Interesting releases by Nokia. C6 certainly captures my intentions. Seems holding out on buying a 5800 or a n97 mini was worth it, I now get a device almost better than them at a cheaper price.

What is the free boot up RAM for C6 though? Can we use its LED flash like a torch light, just liker we can on the E5? I do not see any such letter/sign on the keyboard like I do for the E5 on its space bar.

Old 14-04-2010, 02:14 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
I very much doubt that the rumoured N8*00 will truly be high end
Define "truly high end", please.

"absolutely no sense whatsoever, as the price difference between the various models is as artificial as the markups Apple charge for the 16/32/64gb variants."

Many things in life are artificial, and many artificial things sell extremely well. Good business. Oh and the price differences between the devices may be artificial but they sure are significant (compare the price of the 5230 to that of N97) and do allow more units to be sold - more revenue, more profit. Good business. Oh and the spec differences are not quite artificial. More careful comparison (well not really, they are blatantly obvious) of the specs/form factor/features between again say 5230 and N97 are far from insignificant.

Having said that, overall the Nokia portfolio can benefit from some trimming - and guess what, that's exactly what they are doing this year.

Old 14-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Unregistered

Marketing

Nokia is good at reaching out to a wider group of consumers, who would be keen to get their hands on phones with the form-factors of the N97/mini, or E71, but are not willing to pay the premium price, or risk getting something that might be way over their heads in terms of features.
With these new devices, they can. The prices are right and I'm quite sure most in this group would not miss the features removed to cut cost. Whether it's yesterday's technology or not wouldn't bother them at all.
This group of people are likely those who would never be in this forum arguing the whats and wherefores like us.

Old 14-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation

WARNING c6 is only a ugly copy of the n97 mini for me....

Old 15-04-2010, 01:29 AM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
It's also sad that you NEVER have anything useful to say...
As opposed to your pearls of wisdom you mean?

Old 15-04-2010, 01:46 AM

traecer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Symbian touch screens are facing an extreme identity crisis though. Wasn't long ago that Symbian was definitely high end on overall spec.

But now, you've got the 5230, 5530, 5800, X6, C6, N97 and N97 Mini all sharing *exactly* the same hardware base, ram and screen resolution. Which is utterly ridiculous. It makes some sense on economies of scale, but absolutely no sense whatsoever, as the price difference between the various models is as artificial as the markups Apple charge for the 16/32/64gb variants.

Symbian is not high end now, thats intended for Maemo/Meego.
While there is overlap with the 5xxx phones, remember the C-series is the replacement for most of the numbered phones; they will be phased out over the next few years. And though the C6 shares some components with the X6 and N97s, they aren't identical. The big one for me is the camera. N97 has a Zeiss Tessar lens, still superior to the cheaper version put in the E-, X-, and C-series. They don't have the same keyboards or screens either. Although someone mentioned the C6 only has 128MB of RAM, I can't find that figure anywhere.

And again, keep in mind the new C-, E-, X-, and N-series models are to replace older models and clean up Nokia's overlapping market confusion. The C6 and E5 are replacing older phone models to provide phones that can be more clearly targeted. You're trying to compare the new C-series to the old N-series; you should be comparing it to the forthcoming N-series (assuming it is released in short order).

Old 15-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Unregistered

C series, X series, N series, MeeGo...

How's this sound: C is putting Symbian^1 in its final resting place - that is, mid-range mid-priced. The new N phones will be bringing Symbian to its new high, the upper-mid range smartphone, with more to come at a fairly high price. And whatever "series" appelation the MeeGo devices will carry will be the high-end smartphone with the corresponding price tag. N900 was the beta for this, and there won't be a comparable device under the MeeGo banner: all else to come from the Maemo-Moblin merger will be competing for iPhone-Android marketshare and customer base.
Yea? Nay? What think ye?
Ads

Old 15-04-2010, 08:26 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Possibly this is start of new strategy to help differentiate between high end and lower end now that hardware features are becoming more standard and fixed. Maybe Nokia are going to run with two versions of SF^x concurrently as a each version matures it is moved down range on essentially the same hardware platform so shouldn`t require much modding or upkeep thereby enabling cheaper price points and also making the high end price premium value obvious by having latest/different OS&hardware. With the release of SF^3 with QT on board this shouldn`t be too much of a headache to support and wouldn`t preclude many apps as they`ll be on QT and most should be SF ver agnostic (?) and provides clear differentiation between product classes. Added advantage that if they bork up a release like N97 and SF^1 at least it will be on relatively limited numbers of handsets and by the time it gets to mass release it will have the wrinkles ironed out (step forward C6) thus eliminating 10mill + recalls - although should be noted you can`t keep donkey punching your high end adopters and get away with it for as long as Nokia have tried without them deserting so better find something to give them back if/when they run into problems.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Unregistered

Article nokia

nokia c6 is the coolest phone
http://nokiac6area.blogspot.com