All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #16  
Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 AM
eccleshill eccleshill is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bradford UK
Posts: 45
eccleshill is on a distinguished road
Biggest peice of s**t I've had in years.

As someone said earlier, if it was a hi-fi or TV it would be back in the shop & replaced; with a phone they've got you (in my case) for 18 months. Can't wait until October... 2010!

  #17  
Old 04-08-2009, 05:21 AM
angiepea's Avatar
angiepea angiepea is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kent
Posts: 344
angiepea is on a distinguished road
makes you feel like you've just bought a betamax video player don't it
__________________
Angie x
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

  #18  
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Micky!'s Avatar
Micky! Micky! is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 286
Micky! is on a distinguished road
As mentioned on page 1. Im currently the POC (Point Of Contact) with the Nokia technical team for the N97, and working with them to help improve the N97 via its firmware, reporting bugs, and suggesting idea's, and suggestions for improvement. Things will get better, and Nokia are indeed listening. Patients my friends.

  #19  
Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Berty Berty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 186
Berty is on a distinguished road
maybe you can ask Nokia to put a few words down here and on other forums to make people feel more comfortable.

  #20  
Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 AM
davecozens's Avatar
davecozens davecozens is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somerset
Posts: 812
davecozens is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky! View Post
As mentioned on page 1. Im currently the POC (Point Of Contact) with the Nokia technical team for the N97, and working with them to help improve the N97 via its firmware, reporting bugs, and suggesting idea's, and suggestions for improvement. Things will get better, and Nokia are indeed listening. Patients my friends.
They might be listening, but until they acknowledge the lens scratching issue publicly and do something about it I'm staying angry.

Software issues I can live with - because they eventually get fixed. But I was excited about this phone. And they've ruined it. It'll never get that shiny glow back.

:(
__________________
Dave

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

  #21  
Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
plexus's Avatar
plexus plexus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 40
plexus is on a distinguished road
No way.
I'm pretty choosy when it comes to my gadgetry and specially about my cell phones.
I got an iPhone 3G last year and sold it less than 2 weeks later because it lacked essential features(MMS, tethering, decent camera, etc.) ; the HTC Touch Pro (1) lasted even less in my hands : it was returned less than a week after purchase.
I nearly sent back the Samsung Omnia 900 because of its lack of voice dialling (then I installed MS voice commander+button manager+ other stuff and I kept it for 8 months).
But the N97 requires only a bit of easy optimizing, and some free downloads.
The UI is ugly?
I agree, but the free themes , wallpapers (if you dont wanna use one of your pics) and skins available are 1000s.
Lack of phone memory?
Terrible. But by moving files to mass memory (until now) I managed to install all updates.
The processor is slower than those in similar phones?
True. But the N97 is very fast anyway (much faster than my touchHD) because S60 is far less demanding than win mobile or Android (just like Linux systems require less powerful hardware than Vista PCs).
The camers cover can scratch the lens?
Yes , but if you just take care not to get dirt between lens and cover you 're safe.
The Nokia PC suite sucks?
Yes, and there are no excuses.

People have to get used to the idea that advanced smartphones such as N97 HC touchHD or TouchPro2 or OmniaHD etc, are like little PCs: when you buy them you have to spend the first 3 or 4 days getting rid of crapware, installing the apps and prog.s you need, the skins and themes you like, sync'ing it with your electronic ecosystems, etc.
If you want a phone that is perfect for your needs just as it gets out of the box don't buy a smartphone.

Yes , Nokia has to fix a few major bugs of the N97; and the way and the speed it will do that will determine if its smartphones will be worth to buy in the future, but for now the N97 for me is a keeper.
Even if I was disappointed by it for the first2 or 3 days I used it , now that I optimized it acording to my needs and tastes, it's become as good or probably even bettr than my (heavyly "optimized") HTC toucHD.

If you are so disappointed by the N97 you will never ever find a smartphone that will satisfy you, simply because you don't know how to tweak a smartphone to make it right for you.

Next week I will get my third phone, the HTC Hero, (my first Android) .
I don't yet know if I will like it or hate it or if I will give it back few days after delivery, but I know that when it will come out of the box, before I adapted it to my tastes and needs , it's probably bound to disappoint me.
As with all my previous smartphones what will determine if I will keep it or not will be how flexible, adaptable, skinnable the all system is gonna be.
If Nokia will keep the updates and fixes coming regularly it will still have me as a customer even if I hate the "NokiaPC suite" and the "Nseries suite".

Last edited by plexus; 04-08-2009 at 12:13 PM.

  #22  
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
eccleshill eccleshill is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bradford UK
Posts: 45
eccleshill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
makes you feel like you've just bought a betamax video player don't it
I DID buy a betamax video years ago! Some of us never learn...

  #23  
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
angiepea's Avatar
angiepea angiepea is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kent
Posts: 344
angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccleshill View Post
I DID buy a betamax video years ago! Some of us never learn...

Ha !!! glad to know someone on here is just as old as me
__________________
Angie x
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

  #24  
Old 04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
spirit44 spirit44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 181
spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
Ha !!! glad to know someone on here is just as old as me
a beta-what?!?!

Ads

  #25  
Old 04-08-2009, 02:20 PM
MonarchX MonarchX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 142
MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
No way.
I'm pretty choosy when it comes to my gadgetry and specially about my cell phones.
I got an iPhone 3G last year and sold it less than 2 weeks later because it lacked essential features(MMS, tethering, decent camera, etc.) ; the HTC Touch Pro (1) lasted even less in my hands : it was returned less than a week after purchase.
I nearly sent back the Samsung Omnia 900 because of its lack of voice dialling (then I installed MS voice commander+button manager+ other stuff and I kept it for 8 months).
But the N97 requires only a bit of easy optimizing, and some free downloads.
The UI is ugly?
I agree, but the free themes , wallpapers (if you dont wanna use one of your pics) and skins available are 1000s.
Lack of phone memory?
Terrible. But by moving files to mass memory (until now) I managed to install all updates.
The processor is slower than those in similar phones?
True. But the N97 is very fast anyway (much faster than my touchHD) because S60 is far less demanding than win mobile or Android (just like Linux systems require less powerful hardware than Vista PCs).
The camers cover can scratch the lens?
Yes , but if you just take care not to get dirt between lens and cover you 're safe.
The Nokia PC suite sucks?
Yes, and there are no excuses.

People have to get used to the idea that advanced smartphones such as N97 HC touchHD or TouchPro2 or OmniaHD etc, are like little PCs: when you buy them you have to spend the first 3 or 4 days getting rid of crapware, installing the apps and prog.s you need, the skins and themes you like, sync'ing it with your electronic ecosystems, etc.
If you want a phone that is perfect for your needs just as it gets out of the box don't buy a smartphone.

Yes , Nokia has to fix a few major bugs of the N97; and the way and the speed it will do that will determine if its smartphones will be worth to buy in the future, but for now the N97 for me is a keeper.
Even if I was disappointed by it for the first2 or 3 days I used it , now that I optimized it acording to my needs and tastes, it's become as good or probably even bettr than my (heavyly "optimized") HTC toucHD.

If you are so disappointed by the N97 you will never ever find a smartphone that will satisfy you, simply because you don't know how to tweak a smartphone to make it right for you.

Next week I will get my third phone, the HTC Hero, (my first Android) .
I don't yet know if I will like it or hate it or if I will give it back few days after delivery, but I know that when it will come out of the box, before I adapted it to my tastes and needs , it's probably bound to disappoint me.
As with all my previous smartphones what will determine if I will keep it or not will be how flexible, adaptable, skinnable the all system is gonna be.
If Nokia will keep the updates and fixes coming regularly it will still have me as a customer even if I hate the "NokiaPC suite" and the "Nseries suite".
I agree. My phone doesn't have all the same bugs that people report here... Its all about learning how to use it, findng out the right apps, format to get rid of crap, install the apps you need and enjoy!

I love my N97!

  #26  
Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM
mfzaman mfzaman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 21
mfzaman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I simply luv my N97. After using N95, N96 & lastly N85 this N97 is simply better. Maybe I am lucky that I don't have any of the bugs reported. I just need more RAM for multi-tasking.

  #27  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM
sjdean sjdean is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: England
Posts: 222
sjdean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky! View Post
As mentioned on page 1. Im currently the POC (Point Of Contact) with the Nokia technical team for the N97, and working with them to help improve the N97 via its firmware, reporting bugs, and suggesting idea's, and suggestions for improvement. Things will get better, and Nokia are indeed listening. Patients my friends.
If you really are Point of Contact, tell them...

1) Fix Nokia Music and the N97 to correctly read iTunes tagging information - even if it has to read from iTunes itself. Many of my M4A files (ones over 10 minutes) seem to lose this information. Rewrite the Tags in Nokia Music, and iTunes refuse to play it.

2) Native DivX Playback

3) Lens Scratching

4) GPS Signal Strength

5) Message Store switches from E: to C: at random intervals

6) No way to back up to Mass Memory on E:

7) No way to move message store from E: to C:

8) Need an inbuilt SIP Client (eg N95)

That is all. I think these are some pretty good bugs and good features to think about that will make the phone a hell of a lot more usable and user friendly.

Cheers
Simon

  #28  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
plexus's Avatar
plexus plexus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 40
plexus is on a distinguished road
No. That's not all.
Remember the unlock slide button that often requires 2,3 or more slides to unlock and light up the screen.
Thanx

  #29  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
sjdean sjdean is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: England
Posts: 222
sjdean is on a distinguished road
9) Lock slider problem

10) Phone crashing

11) Sometimes will not charge

12) Problems either on phone or software connecting via USB to computer with PC Sync

to be honest though, I don't think these are really major issues. If the phone crashes a couple of times, it really isn't a biggy as long as people can use it for 99% of the time without a problem.

A couple of swipes of the finger for the lock slider, not a problem. Just being critical because the phone has other major problems. Sort out usability.

  #30  
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
fuzzuy fuzzuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
fuzzuy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I agree with all of you and I hope nokia fix these above mention problems quickly as I am in Canada and bought this phone from US as most of you might know that f....ing nokia does not give international warranty, so every time i have to send it to US and than US nokia has to ship to US address only in my case i have to bother my friend there and ask him to ship it back to me.

So you can see how much i wanted this phone and how much i waited for this phone but man this phone has pi....ed me off as of now it is in Nokia US for the warranty repairs already and hopefully it will be my last nokia after using them more than 10 years didn't wana do it but this phone has forced me to do that
 

Bookmarks

Tags
firmware, live, n97, nokia, qanda, recent, thoughts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy