All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Unregistered

Everything looks great so far, but does it have Wi-Fi?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
is the sound quality comparable with the sound quality of the 5700?
It's been a year since I last used a 5700 so it's difficult to compare, but so far the 5320's sound quality seems very good. The 5320 has a dedicated audio chip, which should make it better quality than most other S60s, but I'll try to be more specific when I do the full review.

Quote:
Everything looks great so far, but does it have Wi-Fi?
No, none of the numbered S60 devices have Wi-Fi. Only Nseries and Eseries have it.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
It's been a year since I last used a 5700 so it's difficult to compare, but so far the 5320's sound quality seems very good. The 5320 has a dedicated audio chip, which should make it better quality than most other S60s, but I'll try to be more specific when I do the full review.
thanks for the answer

Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Unregistered

looks like a kiddie phone to me.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
new phones hitting on!

lot of new phones have hit the market recently including the nokia's and iPhone 3g but happy to be with my n 82. Its amazing sometimes how much do you get addicted to one of your smartphones especially when you install lot of apps on it and use them too!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
As I said in the article and replies above, in real life the 5320's red sections have a metallic sheen, they're not just pure red. I couldn't get the metallic effect to show up on photos though, and apparently neither could Nokia judging from their press photos.

Quote:
Its amazing sometimes how much do you get addicted to one of your smartphones especially when you install lot of apps on it and use them too!
Yeah, I think that's why so many people are offering extra services for phones because more and more people are using them.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yup..it's for the young and active. Tired old N95 users stay far far away :-)..seriously though this phone looks good..live n in ur hands.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
shadowspawn

I just saw the price for the phone today. 249
Thats as much as the N81 (NOT 8GB) the last time I saw one, since phones get a special offer like after 4 months of their arrival to retail. Around here anyways.
I think Nokia just jacked up the price and will lower it in a few months so it's like 199 or 119 or sumthin.
Ads

Old 03-08-2008, 06:30 PM
shadowspawn

sorry for the double post. -_-
Anywho, what would be the tech specs in comparison to other N-Gage phones? Even the soon or not so soon to be N-Gage compatible N73 and N93? I'm mostly interested in the differences between this and the N81, but if you have the time the other comparisons would be appriciated.

A few things I noticed that seem a little bad for a gaming view:
1. The buttons are tiny. The game key is as small as the 2nd camera. Looks like you need a toothpick to press it. You also said the softkeys, clear and menu key are annoyingly placed. How is the number pad and Navi wheel?
2. The screen looks very small too. What is it's size and resolution?
3. Where is the WiFi? I heard it was originally planned for it. How it got cancelled? Now if you want online gaming you NEED a good network and a dataplan.
4. MONO speaker? Oh c'mon! And they call it a music phone? >__<
5. How does landscape FEEl on it? I mean, it's not a slider, it's a solid "candy bar" of a phone. And how does the shoulder button feel? To me it looks just oddly placed, the N81 and N95 landscape looks better.
6. Nice touch with the grips on the back, they should help the clumsy people.
7. Is there a "Discover N-Gage" application? Did you try it? How was it playing on the 5320?

As you see I'm very doubtful on the gaming specs on this phone. But if it drops below 200 then it could be a good cheap N-Gage Candy Bar model. My brother was thinking of getting it somehow (hes only 14) but now I have to tell him to hold the thought untill I can get him the specs and comparisons. As I said, the N81 price has dropped drastically from it's first few months, so if a few extra euro would be better.

I also looked around the web for N81 & 8GB prices. They vary a LOT!
N81 8GB: from 315 to 529 as you can see, some online stores are trying to rip you off. And online stores are always slightly more expensive, than actual phone retailers.
N81: 280 to 299 as you can see, online retailers are really greedy. I swear I saw this for 260 at a service provider store (the ones who sell phones and contracts.)
And the 5320 so far the only price I have seen is 249, so an extra 20 can get you a bigger screen, WLAN, stereo speakers, N-Gage compatibility, better button layout, a nice feeling landscape mode and a better looking slider phone. The losses would be that it'slarger and is almost 100% plastic. Some say they hear rattling inside if they shake it, but it's infact the power button, camera and smart-key-lock keys. Those 3 are a little loose for some reason, but they're not falling off.

But lets see when Nokia fulfills it's promise and make this the cheapest N-Gage device by dropping it's price in a few months and release compatibility. Right now it just seems too expensive to be a "cheap" N-Gage phone. Even the N73 tops it with a price between 235 and 354 online. (damn online retailers rip people off.) of course it has no WiFi or landscape, but it's still cheaper and will be "soon" N-Gage compatible, if thats all you need.

Oh man this turned into a rant, sorry for that but I had to state my opinion how crudely this is supposed to be a "cheap" phone I bet the production costs are the only cheap thing, not the retail price, as for now. But seeing as how phone prices vary, it could drop below 200 in a few months. Hmmm... meaby this should go in my blog too...

Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thats as much as the N81 (NOT 8GB) the last time I saw one, since phones get a special offer like after 4 months of their arrival to retail. Around here anyways.
Quote:
Right now it just seems too expensive to be a "cheap" N-Gage phone.
Remember, it only came out a few days ago! :-)

All devices are expensive so close to their release, manufacturers start high because early adopters are willing to pay more for brand new models. As time goes on though they drop the price to reach a wider audience.

Just to put this in perspective, when the Nokia 5300 came out at the end of 2006 it started at 200 euros plus taxes, but a year and a half later it's about 100 euros plus taxes. That's the kind of level we could expect the 5320 to drop to in late 2009.

The 5320 being 200 euros plus taxes isn't cheap in itself, it's the fact that it's LAUNCHING for that price which is extremely cheap. No other S60 has ever started so low, and this is just a starting point.

If you can't wait for the price drops, then go ahead and buy the N81. If you can wait for the price drops though, you will probably see the 5320 dropping very low indeed.

Quote:
Anywho, what would be the tech specs in comparison to other N-Gage phones? Even the soon or not so soon to be N-Gage compatible N73 and N93? I'm mostly interested in the differences between this and the N81, but if you have the time the other comparisons would be appriciated.
I put a link to the official 5320 tech spec page at the start of this thread, here it is again:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/5320_XpressMusic

In specs the main standout feature is the 85 megabytes of free RAM (!) which is apparently more than any other S60 so far, even more than the E90.

The 5320 processor is much faster than the N73, but somewhat similar to the N93 (the N93 has a lower clock speed but has dual processors).

Quote:
1. The buttons are tiny. The game key is as small as the 2nd camera. Looks like you need a toothpick to press it.
Regarding the game key, it's not a problem, you can actually press it very easily. It sticks out a tiny bit from the surface and general pressure on the corner of the phone presses the button.

Regarding the main keypad, its buttons are about the same size as the 6120, so if you can live with that you can live with the 5320. Some people can, some people can't.

What annoys me are the buttons around the direction pad, they're very awkward to press, but then the 6120 had the same layout problem too.

Quote:
4. MONO speaker? Oh c'mon! And they call it a music phone? >__<
It is mono, but it's also the loudest speaker I've ever had on a phone, I'd much rather have this than weak stereo speakers. I'm pretty happy with it as it's good for listening to while cooking, typing, in the park etc.

Quote:
Where is the WiFi? I heard it was originally planned for it. How it got cancelled? Now if you want online gaming you NEED a good network and a dataplan.
I'm not sure where you heard that rumour, but none of the numbered S60 phones have Wi-Fi. So far, only Nseries and Eseries devices have Wi-Fi connections, though that may change in the future of course.

You don't need Wi-Fi for online gaming if you have a cheap or unlimited data plan from your phone network. None of the N-Gage games so far use real time interaction, they're all turn-based or simultaneous races, so latency is not a problem. Wi-fi is inaccessible while on the move, which means phone games generally have to cope without it anyway.

If you're worried about data charges from downloading games, you can avoid them by downloading the games onto your PC from the N-Gage website, then transferring them to the phone by USB cable.

Also, it's worth remembering that most people play games offline. :-)

Quote:
5. How does landscape FEEl on it? I mean, it's not a slider, it's a solid "candy bar" of a phone. And how does the shoulder button feel? To me it looks just oddly placed, the N81 and N95 landscape looks better.
I wish I could answer that, but N-Gage hasn't launched on the 5320 yet.

There's no way to put the phone itself in landscape mode, the only way to do it is if a game has that option (which most N-Gage games do but most other games don't).

The shoulder button is oddly placed for gaming, but for music it's very well placed, and it's clearly intended mainly as a music control as it has a fast forward logo on it.

Quote:
2. The screen looks very small too. What is it's size and resolution?
It's the same as the 6120 and E51, QVGA (240x320) and 2 inches physically.

Quote:
7. Is there a "Discover N-Gage" application? Did you try it? How was it playing on the 5320?
No. All they have is an N-Gage download link in the "Games" folder which takes you to the N-Gage app download page, but the 5320's app isn't there yet.

I get the feeling that this firmware isn't the one they inteded to release, it has some inconsistencies in the way the applications are laid out in the main menu.

I think they were waiting for N-Gage to be ready, but when it wasn't ready they panicked and cobbled this firmware together. We can expect an update when N-Gage does make it to the 5320, and as the phone has over-the-air updating it will be very easy to do.

I'll write more about this in the review.

Quote:
As you see I'm very doubtful on the gaming specs on this phone. But if it drops below 200€ then it could be a good cheap N-Gage Candy Bar model.
I think that's exactly what Nokia has in mind for this model, a cheap entry level device for someone who wants a good music phone and N-Gage access.

If the price now is 200 euros plus taxes, it will probably be closer to 150 euros plus taxes by Christmas (which would be under 200 euros in Finland including taxes).

Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Unregistered

Nokia 5320 Xpress Music Loudspeaker

Pls tell us where the loudspeaker of 5320 is located. If possible, give us also the audio test compared to other handsets.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
I couldn't care less if it got a mono speaker or not. A phone being advertised as a music device; to me is that something with a 3.5mm jack that will work well as a portable mp3 player. Not something that will replace the home hi-fi system.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:44 PM
SystemRush

Unhappy quality

It looks so cheap... i mean really really cheap quality.... an ugly design too... red and blue colour? what is this? a disneys cell phone made for kids? i always preferred candybar phone factor over sliding and flipping ones and replaced N73 and then N82 with 6120c just because it didnt feel like i was carrying a brick inside my pocket. i was thinking of getting 5320 xpress music but... its damn ugly. will see when my friend gets one and thats makes me change my mind

Old 17-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Probono

I just bought it.It's flashy compared to my old N70.Entering to menu and opening apps going just smootly.It also has very good internet brovser, and that is without WiFi doesn't make it any bad.I didn't noticed it has a mono speaker, but quality of the sound is better than on N70.Gallery is impracticall,but it does open pictures much faster, there is not much difference than on n95 my friend have.What I miss the most is that pen button.With all that buttons they could at last put one pen button too.For now I am having problems with installing apps and games,mostly because of the certificates.But I will check it soon.