All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM

plexus is on a distinguished road
Fuzzuy if you tell me exactly what pisses you off with your N97 maybe I can help you.
Just yesterday one of my mates was going to give back his and change it with the OmniaHD (which our mobile company gives for the same price : about 160 euros with a 6 months unlimited contract) but after I tweaked it , beautyfied it, and de-crappyfied it for him , he changed his mind and now loves his N97 like he loves his mama.
So , let me know what bothers you and I'll see what I can do.
By the way: in the last 3 weeks I got about 5 updates (over the air) plus 3 updates to the desktop software, did you install all the updates?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzuy View Post
..snip.. hopefully it will be my last nokia after using them more than 10 years didn't wana do it but this phone has forced me to do that
I think many of us are feeling like that. If the N97 was a film the tag line would be "N97: The last Nokia".

Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 PM

fuzzuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
Fuzzuy if you tell me exactly what pisses you off with your N97 maybe I can help you.
Just yesterday one of my mates was going to give back his and change it with the OmniaHD (which our mobile company gives for the same price : about 160 euros with a 6 months unlimited contract) but after I tweaked it , beautyfied it, and de-crappyfied it for him , he changed his mind and now loves his N97 like he loves his mama.
So , let me know what bothers you and I'll see what I can do.
By the way: in the last 3 weeks I got about 5 updates (over the air) plus 3 updates to the desktop software, did you install all the updates?
Hello,

Thanks Mate i have called Nokia support and they have asked to send the phone back to them for repair so let's wait and see when it comes back.

Now beofre you were asking my what pisses me off about my n97 so buddy it's freezing on facebook on email widget ,weather widget and to unlock the phone to answer the call ??? and it's up proportinal rotation specially when i took it to my left hand and talk, touch screen never workd on one touch every time press two or three times (and yes i have updated the all the updated via pc and on the air also still was same) so that's why i called and send that back let's see.
Ads

Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Well done.
I also spoke with nokia hot line and although the only two bugs affecting my N97 are the sleepy unlock slide and the scratchy camera cover, they told me also to send my unit back so that they will fix these things.
I will send it for repair when Ill be back from holidays in the beginning of september.
The guy from the hot line said tha they will REPARTITION the memory, fix the laggy slider and they said that they will fix my camera cover by substituting it with that from the N86 (which is supposed to be yellow and good instead of blue and nasty).
Ask them to do the same with your lens cover.

By the way, yesterday I got also my new HTC Hero; it is undoubtly a beautiful phone but is umbelivably complicated to do anything with it.
Im beginning to get the hang of it now ,but to be honest for the moment I prefer both the N97 and the touchHD.
Android , even with this Sense UI, seems a bloody mess to me mostly because the phone is sold without any software whatsoever for sync'ing or for anything else: you've got to hunt for software programs and apps on the webs .
Kinda tirying trust me.

Last edited by plexus; 12-08-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Well done.
I also spoke with nokia hot line and although the only two bugs affecting my N97 are the sleepy unlock slide and the scratchy camera cover, they told me also to send my unit back so that they will fix these things.
I will send it for repair when Ill be back from holidays in the beginning of september.
The guy from the hot line said tha they will REPARTITION the memory, fix the laggy slider and they said that they will fix my camera cover by substituting it with that from the N86 (which is supposed to be yellow and good instead of blue and nasty).
Ask them to do the same with your lens cover.
To be honest, I think they just said something to get you off the phone. The laggy slider is clearly due to firmware problems - the v10 firmware had much more of a problem with the unlock slider and now it only happens occasionally.

What does REPARTITION the memory mean? A hard reset? You can do that yourself. As for fitting non-standard parts, good luck. I believe there will eventually be a lens cover for the N97 that is the same design as that of the N86, but who knows when Nokia will choose to make it available.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM

To be honest I start to have the same nagging doubt too since a guy I knoe phoned to the very same hotline and when he mentioned the possibility of the substitution of the lens cover he got the usual Nokia line that they were'nt aware of any such problems but that they will see what it could be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post

What does REPARTITION the memory mean?
I was under the impression that repartitioning the memory would mean to take some Kbts away from the mass memory and move it to the phone memory, surely they would'nt ask me to send the phone to be repaired if all they wanted to do was a hard reset?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
To be honest I start to have the same nagging doubt too since a guy I knoe phoned to the very same hotline and when he mentioned the possibility of the substitution of the lens cover he got the usual Nokia line that they were'nt aware of any such problems but that they will see what it could be done

I was under the impression that repartitioning the memory would mean to take some Kbts away from the mass memory and move it to the phone memory, surely they would'nt ask me to send the phone to be repaired if all they wanted to do was a hard reset?
That's the spirit plexus

Regarding the partitioning - what may happen is a future firmware release (maybe Sept? who knows, but probably not the imminent one) will allow some of the mass memory to be used as 'virtual RAM' like windows, etc use the hard disk to swap memory out.