All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia N8 available for pre-order in the UK

The Nokia N8, the first first Symbian^3 device, is now available for pre-order in Nokia's UK web store. It is priced at £429 SIM-free, with availability scheduled for the end of September. The store is also offering the N8 for free on a £35 18 month contract (Vodafone, T-Mobile and O2). The UK is a key market for Nokia and is expected to be one of the very first countries to get the N8, which is, perhaps, reflected in the pricing being at the upper end of expectations.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 AM
owenzhao

Exclamation revise the price of N8 in China

My mistake, the euro should be pounds. 5728 China yuan (664 euro), and 4868 China yuan (564 euro)

Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Unregistered

N8 Finland

It is 499 in Finland. Blue and Orange are marketed as exclusive and only available from the nokia store. http://kauppa.nokia.fi/webapp/wcs/st...7_-12_60000484

Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Unregistered

It would be a mistake to pay that much money for it, it will sell for much less than 400.

It would also be a wise move to delay purchase until it has shaken down in the wild and you know what it is really like.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 AM

mcpezza is on a distinguished road
I'm not buying this time, bought the N95 and N97 on release dates, not good initial experiences. Going to wait this one out, maybe Jan next year, when the pricing will level out.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 AM

WillH is on a distinguished road
I'm not saying the price isn't good, it certainly is (while keeping a healthy profit margin for Nokia ), but it sure is very close to an iPhone 4 16GB.

I've been waiting for the price to be announced to be able to make a decision on my next phone but my problem comes down to trust.

With Apple, I know I get a good UI, the phone will be fairly feature packed and it will be supported with the latest iOS for at least two years from release. The phone I buy now, in terms of software, will be much better in year.

With Nokia, I'll get a "fine" UI, the phone will be very feature packed, but I have no idea about future support. Maybe Nokia will go nuts with new software features? Heck maybe, just maybe, the N8 will get Symbian^4? Or maybe it will just be minor bug fixes/features? Or perhaps it will be left for dead when Symbian^4 becomes their development focus?

This lack of clarity on future OS improvements (which most people expect thanks to Android and iOS) is a worry. Plus Nokia tend to have their "oops" moments far too often. N95 didn't have enough RAM so an N95 8GB it is! An N97 didn't have nearly enough C: space so a N97 Mini it is! It's hard not to expect the same thing, in some area, with the N8.

Which is why I still haven't decided... but I do want the N8.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 AM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
I definitely don't want to be one of the first to have an N8 - that's a bit of a risk I'm not willing to take...

So it's nice to hear that it'll be coming to 35 18 month contracts (like mine) on o2... My contract ends in January so I'm sure we'll have a good idea whether I want this by then or not - by then I might be able to squeeze a cheaper contract/some goodies out of o2 in the process

Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM

kevwright is on a distinguished road
Hrrmm, the concept of being a *Nokia* early adopter these days is scary.

It seems to me that you should get it cheaper for taking the risk, not dearer -

Kev

iPhone & Tech Blog at http://www.kevwright.co.uk

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Unregistered

I predict I will pay the following:

329 for a PAYG phone from CPW plus a 10 topup with the network choice of Voda/o2/TMob/Orange.

Being CPW the phone will be unlocked so I will throw away the new SIM and put my GiffGaff SIM in.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM

holzlondon is on a distinguished road
Germany Store

In Germany, the blue and orange versions are also being sold as "exclusively available from the Nokia online store".

But to be fair, I bet they will be availble through other retailers and network operators as well after a while. Not many people here buy SIM free handsets. I personally really want the orange one...

I'm going to wait. I still have over a year on my contract.

I've also bought the N95, N82 and N86 all within a week of their releases, but this time I have to be a bit patient. I can't wait for it, but I simply don't have the spare cash, and I want to wait until the masses have had their say.

I'm glad I didn't get the N97 with all the firmware problems. I'm looking forward to hearing the first real-world reviews in the coming months.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 AM

spaceprobe is on a distinguished road
Nice to see Nokia are going to charge their UK customers more than those in the US, thank you Nokia. I made the mistake of getting my 5800 from the Nokia store thinking it would be better for updates etc, but not a bit of it so I will get mine from Mobile Fun which are an excellent company. I shall also wait at least 6 months for bugs to be knocked out and for prices to drop. I also want to have a look at one first, for example I have not found one demo video of the calender function (which I use a lot). I love the one on the Iphone and hope the N8's will be similar.
Ads

Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceprobe View Post
Nice to see Nokia are going to charge their UK customers more than those in the US, thank you Nokia. .
Please stop and think before you condemn. The USA price states "before taxes". If you take the UK VAT rate of 17.5% off then there is barely any difference in price.

Thank the UK government for that one.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 AM

kevmc is on a distinguished road
N8 is not another N97 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
I'm not saying the price isn't good, it certainly is (while keeping a healthy profit margin for Nokia ), but it sure is very close to an iPhone 4 16GB.

I've been waiting for the price to be announced to be able to make a decision on my next phone but my problem comes down to trust.

With Apple, I know I get a good UI, the phone will be fairly feature packed and it will be supported with the latest iOS for at least two years from release. The phone I buy now, in terms of software, will be much better in year.

With Nokia, I'll get a "fine" UI, the phone will be very feature packed, but I have no idea about future support. Maybe Nokia will go nuts with new software features? Heck maybe, just maybe, the N8 will get Symbian^4? Or maybe it will just be minor bug fixes/features? Or perhaps it will be left for dead when Symbian^4 becomes their development focus?

This lack of clarity on future OS improvements (which most people expect thanks to Android and iOS) is a worry. Plus Nokia tend to have their "oops" moments far too often. N95 didn't have enough RAM so an N95 8GB it is! An N97 didn't have nearly enough C: space so a N97 Mini it is! It's hard not to expect the same thing, in some area, with the N8.

Which is why I still haven't decided... but I do want the N8.
I work for Nokia so cannot comment on future plans. However, I can say Nokia is committed to Symbian^3, and of course N8 is not the only product using Symbian^3. The N8 and all Symbian^3 products come with Qt built in, so you can run Qt apps. We have rolled this out to 5th edition too (the Orange Wednesday is a good example).

Those comments you mention for 'oops' moments, we a of course are very aware of and we are not looking to repeat them Symbian^3 has WDP which in day to day use means you have a lot of free RAM.

I genuinely believe people will be generally surprised with the N8 and other Symbian^3 devices. They are lovely devices and the N8 especially is the most amazing camera and video phone I have ever seen!

Cheers,

Kevin

Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

once again we in the UK are paying a 'tax' for no reason is the 65 we are paying more over the converted Italy price worth it? In my mind it is NOT!

Plus FYI you have converted all your EU prices with the VAT which is not fair Italys VAT is 20% NOT 17.5% as it is in the UK so you have artificially made the UK prices seem more 'fair' when infact they are MUCH worse than you make out.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

Anyone confirm if Tesco's 289.97 is pukka?