Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Can I just ask, why does this thread have an Ovi Gaming logo at the top? ^_^

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggz View Post
Can I just ask, why does this thread have an Ovi Gaming logo at the top? ^_^
It doesn't. Clear your cache and try again.
Ads

Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM

kevwright is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniox View Post
and 8 or 9 of you speak for everybody ? there are some of us that still want to be able to send an mp3 via bluetooth, install apps as needed and not have the bloated iTunes forced on us. Pls speak for yourself, ok.
Of course I speak for myself, where or how do I suggest otherwise?

I agree 100% that to send file over bluetooth is very handy, but with an iPhone I do not need to do so, since each time I connect it to my Macbook (iTunes certainly does not feel bloated on a proper computer like a Macbook) it updates all my media in a few seconds.

As a point of interest, you could use an iPhone quite happily without ever connecting it to iTunes :-)

And what does "install apps as needed" refer to in this scenario? I can install whatever apps I want thanks?

Kev

Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

[quote=snoFlake;449603]

Now they've got to deliver a finished functioning top end product and junior spin offs into the mid and low tier sectors inside six months or they'll possibly never recover. Samsung are pounding them on cheap touchscreen sales- yeah Nokia's maybe smart but people in the lower-tier seem to prefer the simplicity and reliability of the Sammies QUOTE]

I've been trying to replace my Nokia 5800 (I've had it 10 months and would like a change) and I've looked hard at Samsungs. They don't come anywhere near the 5800, they are nowhere near as simple, as full featured or as useful. Having scanned the forums, they are pretty poor at reliability too. They have some eye candy stuff, but no way could I replace a 5800 with one.

Their cameras are shyte, their battery life is poor. No iPlayer downloads, no decent Facebook app or general application availability. Also stupid software faults and no OTA backup. Maps, browser, rubbish email app and tedious setup for access points, I could go on. Currently there is nothing on the market to replace my 5800, and I've tried very hard.

A friend of mine today tried to play a music track on his iPhone before it had finished downloading. His music library is now unusable.

But it's only Nokias that have problems.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwright View Post
@ajck

As it ought to have been given the massive coverage it got/gets and the crazy cheap price of the thing. The Comes with Music clearly helped, but don't Nokia lose dosh on each and every one of those?
No they don't lose money. And the VAST majority of 5800s sold don't have Comes With Music bundled.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM

[quote=Unregistered;449664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post

A friend of mine today tried to play a music track on his iPhone before it had finished downloading. His music library is now unusable.

But it's only Nokias that have problems.
A quick hook up to iTunes and he should be sorted.

Kev

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

[quote=kevwright;449667]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Kev
Didn't work.

Needs ipodrip or something.

Shouldn't have happened, a proper sorted phone would never have had a problem so easy.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
No they don't lose money. And the VAST majority of 5800s sold don't have Comes With Music bundled.
Do you mind say how you know they don't lose money please, as Nokia will not release this information as far as I know.

Also, not sure how many 5800 they have sold, but I have seen a press release saying they have sold 3 million ON CWM.

Kev

Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
As a point of interest, you could use an iPhone quite happily without ever connecting it to iTunes :-)
I wish I'd seen that before I replied to:

Quote:

Very very poor.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 PM

[quote=Unregistered;449670]
Quote:

Didn't work.

Needs ipodrip or something.

Shouldn't have happened, a proper sorted phone would never have had a problem so easy.
He he, well, he can get a one time re-download of all his iTunes stuff if he contacts them. But surely he has backups of his music somewhere?

Kev

Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I wish I'd seen that before I replied to:

Very very poor.
Eh? What you mean?

Kev

Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Do you mind say how you know they don't lose money please, as Nokia will not release this information as far as I know.

Also, not sure how many 5800 they have sold, but I have seen a press release saying they have sold 3 million ON CWM.

Kev
My insider knowledge covers only one network, but they are not loss leaders. The 5800 got CWM 5 months after coming to market.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
My insider knowledge covers only one network, but they are not loss leaders. The 5800 got CWM 5 months after coming to market.
Ok, fair enough, what I read seemed to be saying it depends how many tracks people download that set the cost for Nokia, but that sounds mad to me.

Kev

Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Unregistered

Cool Nokia + High end = Maemo from 2011 on

From Nokia's own presentation they are targeting roughly 12.5% of net sales at the "high end" with Maemo in 2011

- that means over 3bn in net sales

- which at 300 net sales revenue per device is 10 million devices shipped during 2011

and the AAS team still thinks that Symbian has a future in the high end?

You tried to brush off the N-series moving to Maemo comments from some Maemo marketing dude is ill informed speculation!

Nokia + high-end = Maemo from 2011 onwards

Now you have confirmation - will the denial continue?

Of course, S60 will grow at the expense of S40 but for tech fans / geeks / power users / multi-media freaks / etc. (i.e. the majority of your site visitors) the best 10 million Nokia handsets in 2011 will be running Maemo.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
From Nokia's own presentation they are targeting roughly 12.5% of net sales at the "high end" with Maemo in 2011

- that means over 3bn in net sales

- which at 300 net sales revenue per device is 10 million devices shipped during 2011

and the AAS team still thinks that Symbian has a future in the high end?

You tried to brush off the N-series moving to Maemo comments from some Maemo marketing dude is ill informed speculation!

Nokia + high-end = Maemo from 2011 onwards

Now you have confirmation - will the denial continue?

Of course, S60 will grow at the expense of S40 but for tech fans / geeks / power users / multi-media freaks / etc. (i.e. the majority of your site visitors) the best 10 million Nokia handsets in 2011 will be running Maemo.
I haven't seen this denial that you write of. Are you just making it up? Everyone acknowledges that Maemo will will power the more powerful devices, and Symbian will be on the more popular devices. The average 5800 user isn't going to carry an N900. Tech fans / geeks / power users /multi-media freaks are the friendless minority of phone buyers. AAS visitors will not be critical to the future of Nokia. The future of kleenex, that's another story.